Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red glass when water is on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there certain model years where the glass roof/windshield/rear glass has a red tint to it when water droplets are sitting on it? Seems like I see this on some Tesla's and not others. Was there a certain heated glass option that causes this effect? I just find the red hue to the glass to be awesome looking, but I don't seem to get that effect on my 2016 model S. I see some Model 3's have them and others not. I see some Model S's have it and not others.

So I'm wondering if this is a feature, an anomaly, side effect, or what? I don't suppose one can specifically request this type of glass? Any one know for sure?

From a Chemistry teacher's point of view, I figured it was a feature of the glass that reflected infrared (heat) away from the cabin. Of course we can't see infrared, but it's likely that some near infrared is also reflected, and that's what we see. On my S it's hardly viewable, while on my 3 it is a strong red when there are droplets on the roof.

Early Model 3s had a reflective layer in the glass that caused this appearance. At some point they changed it, not sure exactly when, but current cars don’t have it.

Beaded water on my 2016 Model S all-glass roof has a red appearance sometimes, but not the blazing orange you get on the 3s and some Model X.

So then it's a side effect of the glass used... I'm just bummed I don't have that effect at all on my 2016 Model S. I do seem to see it more often on Model 3's... but I have seen it on X and to a lesser extent S too. I think it makes the car futuristic looking and very cool. It's weird that I haven't seen that on any other brand's cars... it seems to be a Tesla thing.