Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High all, We live in the far PNW, 2 hours north of Seattle. We received 6.1 on 19 Jan. then received it again on 29 Jan. Reading the release notes I could see no changes so, after the first two pages closed the notes and went for a short trip south. Now, up and down the I-5, our DOT uses traffic cameras to monitor loads and spot delays.
We were on our way home north bound on the 5, everything perfect as usual, enjoying some tunes when the radio gave a very soft chirp?? well a few seconds later I glanced at the map just as my wife said, " whats up with that? " A few inches in front of the cursor on the map, the highway lines had turned from green to RED. The change was in both directions for what appeared to be 2 miles or so. As I looked back up the road about a half mile in front of us break lights and flashers were every where. Right where the map changed from green to red, traffic was at a dead stop. We crawled along for a couple of miles and right where the map changed from red back to green, the back-up cleared and we were back to posted speed and the map was normal. Expanded the map to full screen and the red lines were still there but looked to be shorter in distance.
If this is a new feature it is WAY COOL. I have no idea how it works, maybe feed from the DOT cameras through GPS, but talk about heads up to traffic problems.
Anyone else seen this??

High all, We live in the far PNW, 2 hours north of Seattle. We received 6.1 on 19 Jan. then received it again on 29 Jan. Reading the release notes I could see no changes so, after the first two pages closed the notes and went for a short trip south. Now, up and down the I-5, our DOT uses traffic cameras to monitor loads and spot delays.
We were on our way home north bound on the 5, everything perfect as usual, enjoying some tunes when the radio gave a very soft chirp?? well a few seconds later I glanced at the map just as my wife said, " whats up with that? " A few inches in front of the cursor on the map, the highway lines had turned from green to RED. The change was in both directions for what appeared to be 2 miles or so. As I looked back up the road about a half mile in front of us break lights and flashers were every where. Right where the map changed from green to red, traffic was at a dead stop. We crawled along for a couple of miles and right where the map changed from red back to green, the back-up cleared and we were back to posted speed and the map was normal. Expanded the map to full screen and the red lines were still there but looked to be shorter in distance.
If this is a new feature it is WAY COOL. I have no idea how it works, maybe feed from the DOT cameras through GPS, but talk about heads up to traffic problems.
Anyone else seen this??

Yup. First time we saw it, I thought it was weird. Map said "go around", NAV mapped alternate route. I figured I knew better. Then we hit the snag, were stuck in traffic for a couple hours, and I learned something new. It is WAY COOL, and now I go around if I can.

In Southern California we see lots of red on the maps daily. It is fairly accurate on traffic conditions. However sometimes it wants to send us on weird routes as has been noted in another thread.

The other problem is that sometimes the red really means traffic is almost stopped and other times it's just normally slow. No way to tell the difference until you get there.

Anyone else seen this??

This is a feature of Google Traffic. The basic data comes from everyone's cell phones. All cell phones ping the cell network, even when you are not using the phone. The cell network can "trilaterate" your location by measuring the time delay of the ping to 3 cell phone towers, of more accurately, by the GPS inside modern cell phones. If a bunch of cell phones suddenly slow down or stop on a road, the cell network knows that. Here is a decent Wikipedia article on the method Google uses.

Google Traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia