Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red light and stop sign warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla said:
Stop Light and Stop Sign Warning

Note: Depending on market region, vehicle configuration, options purchased, and software version, your vehicle may not be equipped with Stop Light and Stop Sign Warning, or the feature may not operate exactly as described.

While Autosteer is in use, Model Y displays a warning on the touchscreen and sounds a chime if it detects that you are likely to run through a red stop light or stop sign. If this happens, TAKE IMMEDIATE CORRECTIVE ACTION!

The visual and audible warnings cancel after a few seconds, or when you press the brake pedal, whichever comes first.

Stop Light and Stop Sign Warning provides warnings only. It does not slow down or stop Model Y at red traffic lights, stop signs, road markings, etc. If equipped with Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, you can enable this feature to automatically stop Model Y at traffic lights and stop signs (see Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control).

Does Model Y (non-FSD, non-EAP), warn you when you are about to run a red light or stop sign?

I think I have sometimes seen the urgent warning when approaching a stop sign at higher speed. The car must've thought I am about to run it, but it's not consistent.

I don't have the guts to test this by intentionally running a red light or a stop sign.

The car can recognise and ding for green light, so I think it can very well detect red light/stop sign, the question is - will it warn me?

(I am in California, in case this is location specific)

No it doesn’t, that is a FSD feature. I recommend reading the manual.
LoL "Rude" is in your name!

I asked only after reading the manual, which doesn't even mention FSD in this context, just says TACC or Autosteer (which is available with basic AP) 👇
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is designed to recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs, slowing Model Y to a stop when using Traffic-Aware cruise control or Autosteer.

To be fair, the basic autopilot does "react" to traffic lights.

It bongs if you are stopped at a red light, and it turns green, without you continuing to drive.
That's the whole basis of my post - if it can ding and prompt you to "GO" on a green light, does it also warn you when you are about to run a red light or stop sign?

Usually people are attentive, but for the rare bad day when someone is distracted, a loud 3 ding warning with maybe a steering wheel vibration would save the day (in maybe 80% of cases)

That's the whole basis of my post - if it can ding and prompt you to "GO" on a green light, does it also warn you when you are about to run a red light or stop sign?

Usually people are attentive, but for the rare bad day when someone is distracted, a loud 3 ding warning with maybe a steering wheel vibration would save the day (in maybe 80% of cases)
No it does not warn you if you are about to run a red light.

This is a FSD only feature....This is not even available if you buy the "half price" Navigation On Autopilot package.

Right now, if i look at the FSD package for my country, the "stop for red light and stop signs" is literally the ONLY added feature you get if you buy FSD instead of NOA.

They have "Autodrive in cities" as a "coming feature" but right now only red light and stop signs is added for FSD over NOA.

I like when it tells you the light has changed.
Every car should have this.

Mostly because i feel i have to, with an increasing frequency, honk my horn to let the person ahead of me know the light turned green.

The sheer amount of people that will instantly start looking down at their phone instead of ahead to know when the light turns green, is mindblowing.

Here the penalty for using your mobile device while driving (Stopped at a red light is also considered driving in this context) is a fine of $220 and one point on your license (3 points in 2 years = Retake your license) but this seemingly does not stop people from doing it.

Autopilot is for Highway/"Free"way use only

Reactions: cenwesi
Autopilot is for Highway/"Free"way use only
There are red lights on most state highways. Autopilot recognizes them as highways (AP removes the +5mph hard limit that it has if you try Autosteer on city roads) and let's you go, say 9 miles over the speed limit if you so choose

And that's besides the point, the point is that Tesla has the capability to warn at red light but chooses not to do so.

I have been trying it and it mostly works . But you have got to be prepared for
when it throws you curves.
Been using it on the highway without any real problem but you have to be ready to react when it detects a problem .
First get used to using auto cruiz and getting comfortable with that.
When you use auto steering it wants to stay centered in the lane and I usually
drive off center more toward the right side on the right lane and more toward the
left side in the leftmost lane . The idea is to give as much distance between me
and the other cars in the other lane.
Be aware of the symbols which are blue lines on the display when autosteer is engaged and try it in forgiving conditions at first . I found it starts to turn later
than I would.

Last edited:
I have been trying it and it mostly works . But you have got to be prepared for
when it throws you curves.
Been using it on the highway without any real problem but you have to be ready to react when it detects a problem .
First get used to using auto cruiz and getting comfortable with that.
When you use auto steering it wants to stay centered in the lane and I usually
drive off center more toward the right side on the right lane and more toward the
left side in the leftmost lane . The idea is to give as much distance between me
and the other cars in the other lane.
Be aware of the symbols which are blue lines on the display when autosteer is engaged and try it in forgiving conditions at first . I found it starts to turn later
than I would.
I've been trying out TACC and Autosteer whenever traffic is lighter.

When I meant "too chicken to try", I meant too scared to intentionally run a red light or stop sign in order to check if AP warns me or not.

There are red lights on most state highways. Autopilot recognizes them as highways (AP removes the +5mph hard limit that it has if you try Autosteer on city roads) and let's you go, say 9 miles over the speed limit if you so choose

And that's besides the point, the point is that Tesla has the capability to warn at red light but chooses not to do so.
We choose not to by not buying FSD :)

I see people I am pretty sure have hands fee holding there phones up
to there ears . Even if it's not build into the car Hands Free is not that
expensive anymore.
Yeah, i also often see people in cars that i know have bluetooth, still use their phone in handheld mode.

Strange as the fine is rather harsh here, but still people do it, instead of taking 1 minute to set up their bluetooth.

And its not even work vans, but peoples personal cars it seems, so they drive this car every day but still do not set it up.

Here you can even be fined for using a mobile phone, even if you just pull to the side of the road before answering, the police do not want these sudden hastily executed parking maneuvers because people's phones ring.