Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red light detection, stop sign detection, stopping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could see Tesla pushing a specific update to a select few that they have chosen to beta test a demo feature that won't be widely released until more v3 superchargers are out but it seems like there should be a way to see if our cars have a specific update feature without actually testing for it. Like this red light/stop sign issue. I know it hasn't been released yet but when it does get released in a specific OTA update number, if we skipped that number, we should or shouldn't assume we have it without actually testing for it. Some things are easy to tell, such as Sentry Mode showing up as available in the car and on the app but others like a 5% power increase aren't as easily detectable.
In a different post @MP3Mike made reference to proximity to V3 chargers. This raises a very interesting point. Isn't it true that not all existing Tesla models can take full current of a V3 Charger such that for, say, early Model S and X that cannot utilize the higher amperage wouldn't be selected to get that beta feature but as these early features become common they'd migrate from a fix level to a mod level to a release level.

Reactions: JeffnReno
In a different post @MP3Mike made reference to proximity to V3 chargers. This raises a very interesting point. Isn't it true that not all existing Tesla models can take full current of a V3 Charger such that for, say, early Model S and X that cannot utilize the higher amperage wouldn't be selected to get that beta feature but as these early features become common they'd migrate from a fix level to a mod level to a release level.
I'm under the impression that the car has to have a OTA in order to accept the higher charge rate (250) due to the battery prep heating/cooling) on the drive to use it. That may or may not be true for the bump up from 120 to 145 but the supercharger itself would have to have the capability to deliver it. That also makes me wonder if I plugged my car into a supercharger that had already been updated to deliver the 145, if I would be able to get that rate with a low enough charge % or would I also have to wait for an additional OTA to take advantage of it?

[QUOTE="......, Between the lines of what Musk has said, this year's upgrade will be largely rolling out FSD features. So, as the saying goes, "Be there or be talked about".[/QUOTE]

I like the connotation "rolling out" has! Roll! Roll! or dribble? I dunno. Sour grapes, sorry. I am still stuck on a 2018.x version sitting on my 8 cameras, FSD, EAP, FCIC Insured....... Be there AND be talked about. The in crowd is busy talking about 2019.5 and .7 and .8 and BEYOND! I got old enough to get over penis envy and now FIRMWARE envy. Sigh. Still love my car. Sigh.

If I had to take a guess I would hope @MP3Mike was wrong as that would guarantee people would never have identical software in their cars. I offer two possible rationales for that belief.
1) some people get early or limited-beta features perhaps based on type of car 3 vs S HW1 HW2 HW2.5.
2) Their release notes suck, they do not include everything they changed. Release notes should always include
a) every bug fixed
b) every feature added

I have seen where people guess at the nomenclature of release levels, typically in software it's Version, Release, Modification, and fix level. That does not appear to be Tesla's nomenclature.

We used release.patch.hotfix. Release was always everything. Patch could be remove/replace some code or a complete replacement. Hotfix was something small but vital (like replacing 100 with 1000 somewhere in the code). But everything had to be tested no matter how small the change. However, we were only dealing with hundreds of thousands of lines of code, and failure did not mean lots of people died. Some of the critical code dated back to the late 80s.... yeah, that old. So if my process description sounds archaic.... yep... but still works well for us.

We liked to do a complete reinstall. As someone pointed out, that helped ensure everyone had everything.

I have, what I think is, a related question. 19.8.3 installed yesterday morning here. I see, what I believe is a first, at some intersections a mixture of red, dark orange, light orange lines overlaying the road. Sometimes the red is on the road being travelled sometimes on the intersecting road. I haven't definitively mapped it to a red light but I think it would make sense. What three colors, why color the segment of the traveled road after an intersection and sections of the intersecting road? Has anyone seen this, and better, understand what it's telling the driver?
take a picture.

• Helpful
Reactions: OPRCE and John G
I'm under the impression that the car has to have a OTA in order to accept the higher charge rate (250) due to the battery prep heating/cooling) on the drive to use it. That may or may not be true for the bump up from 120 to 145 but the supercharger itself would have to have the capability to deliver it. That also makes me wonder if I plugged my car into a supercharger that had already been updated to deliver the 145, if I would be able to get that rate with a low enough charge % or would I also have to wait for an additional OTA to take advantage of it?
From description:
  • 250 kW peak power without powershare between stations
  • Just for Model 3 vehicles after software update for now
  • Model S and Model X to follow later – again through software
  • First non-beta stations coming in Q2
I believe earlier S and X can't handle the increased amperage for hardware reasons.

Hasn't worked for me. 19.8.3 downloaded a few days ago. I have a 2018 M3RWD LR, and bought the "new" AP 2 weeks ago during the $2,000 sale price discount period. My car has AutoSteer, TACC, but isn't technically EAP like the original AP option that was offered last year.

I drove it in clear weather with a full view of traffic lights, and it didn't recognize any lights. If I hadn't taken manual control it would have gone right through them. Also doesn't recognize Stop Signs. Curiously, I also lost the ability to plan music from any of my rear speakers with this Version install. I went to the local TESLA service center and the tech told me that the problem with the audio system "is a known issue", and to expect future Version updates to correct it. He wasn't aware of the lack of Red Light and Stop Sign reading with the AP engaged. "Maybe it's not included with the new AP feature set" was all he could offer.

AP is only lane keeping and TACC. It is very likely to never include stoplight/sign recognition. Also, read your freaking manual and release notes. The car WILL NOT stop for stoplights or stop signs, not is it supposed to right now. This is a hidden, disabled feature that is present in the code that verygreen used his expertise to enable. The release notes clearly state that the car MAY alert you if on AP that there is a red light, and nowhere does it say it will stop.

the only thing they dinged me on was not stopping 5 feet behind the line
that's BS obviously. I researched this matter and there's no such thing as a stop line in the actual laws.

Maybe it is just the camera perspective that is fooling me, but it appears to be stopping too close to the car in front
I am actually forcing it to stop closer, it was a rush hour so no need to leave too much space. Otherwise it would leave too large of a gap to my taste.

take a picture.
You mean take a picture of what I am referring to or that you thought I meant the red dot for save the teslacam footage?
When it was mentioned congestion levels, that would make sense although I thought that was a function of the, presumably, GoogleMap showing traffic. In the 5 months I've had the car I've yet to see the map display that like maps on a smartphone would display. If I think of it I'll take a screen shot.

that's BS obviously. I researched this matter and there's no such thing as a stop line in the actual laws.
Well not BS when it is a fact that happened to me long ago. Maybe just some picky DMV guy, but it did happen to me. Uh, and that was in 1968. He wrote it on my form. 5 point deduction. Not nice to call BS when not having the facts. Yes, maybe that is not in the laws, but it damn sure was on my evaluation. Of course that minor deduction did not prevent him from issuing license.

And to clarify, this was not me being stopped by a cop. It was a driver test. In a lot of driver education guides and related documents, it is mentioned that one just stop well behind the white line (when it is there). So yes, agree probably not a law, but safer for pedestrians, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
Hey verygreen, I note continual allusions by others in this thread about your “hacking skills” coupled with your statements of waiting 24-48 hours for this update to function and to just “be patient”. Without sounding offensive may I ask, once and for all - is your car stopping at red lights on its own, as in an actual Tesla-enabled feature, or did you somehow affect its software to make the car stop?

Well not BS when it is a fact that happened to me long ago.
I mean not your claim that's BS, but a BS excuse to do a 5 point deduction at an exam. Perhaps they really did not like you.

And I find it funny they still pain those stop lines, but if you read the laws, it says you must stop at the pedestrian crossing if there's one or where the other street intersects if there is not.

Without sounding offensive may I ask, once and for all - is your car stopping at red lights on its own, as in an actual Tesla-enabled feature, or did you somehow affect its software to make the car stop?
There are two factors here at play.

Factor one, to get the "red light warning" functionality mentioned in the release notes you need to wait 24-48 hours. Even then don't go running any red lights! It's dangerous!
Factor 2 - to make the car actually stop and resume driving you need some hackery. This function is definitely not intended for regular Tesla owners.

I mean not your claim that's BS, but a BS excuse to do a 5 point deduction at an exam. Perhaps they really did not like you.

And I find it funny they still pain those stop lines, but if you read the laws, it says you must stop at the pedestrian crossing if there's one or where the other street intersects if there is not.
Oh gee, how stupid of me to misunderstand your comment. I thought you meant I was lying about getting dinged for that white line thing. I guess I should read more closely. I should have guessed that a fellow TN guy is tactful. :D Thanks for clarifying. And I am glad to hear that you decided to stop the car where it showed in the video as I was wondering if the Tesla was not sure where to stop. I thought maybe it was making those decisions. It's a great video and tells a lot.

There are two factors here at play.

Factor one, to get the "red light warning" functionality mentioned in the release notes you need to wait 24-48 hours. Even then don't go running any red lights! It's dangerous!
Factor 2 - to make the car actually stop and resume driving you need some hackery. This function is definitely not intended for regular Tesla owners.
“...you need some hackery.”

Thank You. Not being a hacker I shall have to patiently await Tesla’s layperson enablement, then.

Reactions: APotatoGod
No, with every installed upgrade, if you select the Tesla T top of the screen it shows a link to release notes.
I would question anyone saying they can hack into the tesla code as installed.

You are right, those are easily found. But the knowledge of updates posted to this site goes way, way beyond the published release notes. The release notes via “Tesla T” are, as noted in this thread by at least three of us, woefully incomplete. Is there another source for release.patch.fix contents? Or am I not clicking the correct button to get to the meat?

Thanks!

But a higher version number does not always include the features in every lower version number. For example 2019.8.x and 2019.9.x don't include the V3 Supercharger support and on-route battery heating that is included in 2019.7.11.

What's important is not limited releases like 2019.7.11 or 2019.9.x (as of now), but WIDE releases. Why does a typical end user care about Early Access releases? Or releases only a handful of users have in order to beta test V3 superchargers.

With wide releases it's going to be highly unusual to be missing a feature that used to be there unless there was something wrong with the feature.

All you did was give people anxiety over something that was very unlikely to ever impact them.

Last edited:
You are right, those are easily found. But the knowledge of updates posted to this site goes way, way beyond the published release notes. The release notes via “Tesla T” are, as noted in this thread by at least three of us, woefully incomplete. Is there another source for release.patch.fix contents? Or am I not clicking the correct button to get to the meat?

Thanks!

There used to be a hacker type (ingineer I believe) here that would keep us update to date with what systems each update impacted.

That was pretty cool because a lot of times people would say "This update increased by regen", but the system that controls regen wasn't impacted at all. Or people would say how the update wrecked AP.

So it was nice to see what systems got update to lower the amount of noise in here.

I'd love it if Tesla has full releases notes that went into detail about bugs fixed, and enhancements added.

Most of the time they just say something along the lines of "Bugs were fixed, and then it lists things that it includes from a previous update".