TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Red Light/License Plate Deterrent

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Peteybabes, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

• Funny x 1
  2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

illegal in many places

• Informative x 1
  3. Peteybabes

4. Maximus-MX

Maximus-MX Member

Hmmmm, well... I completely stop at stop sign (at least 3 seconds). Stop when the light turns yellow, unless I'm already in the middle of the intersection. My "offset from speed limit" is +0 mph, with speed limit warning = chime. ;)

5. outie

outie Active Member

What about the rear license plate...?

6. jgalak

jgalak Member

In NY it's illegal to use anything that keeps the camera from seeing the plate, and they will ticket for it.

7. Peteybabes

i agree, but this is almost impossible to detect compared to a plate cover...

8. MacGreiner

MacGreiner Member

Just stop at red lights like you should and you wont have a problem.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. jgalak

jgalak Member

For now. Of the thing becomes common enough, they'll learn what to look for.

10. jeffro01

jeffro01 Banned

It's not that simple though... There is no consistency from place to place as to "when" the camera decides you broke the law and snaps your picture... Red light cameras are unconstitutional anyhow and I don't think you're going to see them around much longer...

Jeff

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

while I agree with your view on the constitutionality of the enforcement by camera I believe that there have been precedent setting rulings permitting the use of the camera to assess fines for violations.
    FWIW: Jacksonville FLA, which is near to me is taking down all their cameras, the reason given for their abandoning the cameras was quite cryptic but I think centered around possible legal challenges that they just didn't want to deal with.
    Some localities have banned the usage of cameras as well.
    to me a larger issues is some places use cameras for speed enforcement, which brings into play even more legal questions.

12. jeffro01

jeffro01 Banned

The issue certainly is muddy, no doubt...

Cameras for speed enforcement are absolutely unconstitutional in every possible way and those are the ones that really get under my skin...

Jeff

13. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I don't think these red light cameras and speed traps are legal in CA. Though I see them in the older areas, Garden Grove, Anaheim.

14. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I'm confused, if the cameras are not legal how are they allowed to remain?

15. jgalak

jgalak Member

Constitutionality is complicated. Some areas make red/speed light camera tickets regular moving violations, same as if a cop issued it. Many consider these problematic, as Constitution require the ability to "confront the accuser". This is still an open question. I'm not aware of any scotus ruling on it.

However, many jurisdictions, like here in NY, treat these tickets as civil penalties, equivalent to a parking ticket. In this case, there's clearly no prohibition, as protections in the case of civil law are much less than for criminal. These tickets are clearly acceptable under us Constitution.

To add more complications, some state constitutions and laws are broader, so some things that are OK under federal law may not be in some states.

• Informative x 1