Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Light Warning on Non-FSD M3 with Full Self Driving Visualization Preview?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I was driving with basic autopilot enabled and came up on a red light at decent speed (~40 MPH) and a large red stoplight icon flashed on my screen where the speed limit sign is usually displayed and a warning chime went off. I found this interesting as my car does not have FSD enabled and I thought/figured the FSD visualization preview was more superficial than anything else (e.g. just to show the driver what the car is seeing/detecting, but not do anything with respects to identified objects/lights).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is/was this a software glitch or a new safety alert/feature now on all cars with HW3? My car is a 2020 SR+ with basic autopilot only. As stated, both autopilot (autosteer) and FSD visualization preview were enabled when this happened.

Yep it's been on cars regardless of if they have FSD for at least a couple months (not sure exactly when it was implemented but I remember seeing another thread about this several months ago for someone who also did not have FSD).

I'm pretty sure that once your FSD Visualization Preview period ends, that will go away. It's a preview to entice you to buy FSD. They'll get you hooked on something, then you'll be mad when it goes away, then you'll consider upgrading to get it back again. Not that a graphic/visualization would be enough to get you to spend $7k ($8k after this month), but it might be enough for some.

Yes you do. I have it on my 2016 HW 2.0 Model S.

To be fair, you have to be REALLY close to running a red light to get it to activate, so I think a great many people have never had it go off.
Interesting. I even went through a red light the other day (it was broken and had gone through 3 cycles without turning green), and didn't get an alert. But, I'll take your word for it and trust that it's in there, some where, and might save by butt one day! ;)

Did you have autosteer on? It’s only active with autosteer.
Ahh that must be it then. I didn't have autosteer on when I went through the red light. Most of the time when I'm in autosteer and coming to a red light with no one in front of me, I turn it off because I know it can't currently stop at a red light. So that's probably why I have never seen it before.

Reactions: ucmndd