Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red M3P, or White + Red PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea of colored PPF sounds interesting. I tried searching for more info on the GSWF Global PPF you mentioned. It was hard to find info. The company seems pretty new and I did find a page that made it seem like the company is based in China. I would be hesitant to use a film that doesn't have a long track record. If it is manufactured in China, I would want to investigate the quality of the film as well as the trustworthiness of the warranty.

I chose Xpel PPF in part because they have been around for a very long time and they stand behind their warranty.

Reactions: XPEL and play150
The idea of colored PPF sounds interesting. I tried searching for more info on the GSWF Global PPF you mentioned. It was hard to find info. The company seems pretty new and I did find a page that made it seem like the company is based in China. I would be hesitant to use a film that doesn't have a long track record. If it is manufactured in China, I would want to investigate the quality of the film as well as the trustworthiness of the warranty.

I chose Xpel PPF in part because they have been around for a very long time and they stand behind their warranty.
eeeeee then maybe I should change my white M3P order to red tomorrow and just get clear PPF I can't decide!!!!

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Just get the red and ppf it. I’ve never heard of a color change ppf. There’s probably a reason for that.
Maybe you just haven't heard about it yet? :cool:

Unless your $2k budget is just for buying the material and doing it yourself, you won't get very far. For a full-color change PPF wrap, expect to spend $7k and up for materials and installation at a reputable shop.

The upsides to these products versus a traditional color change vinyl wrap are the extremely high gloss finish, and the expected lifespan backed up by a 10-year warranty. Most top-end vinyl brands only offer 1-3 year warranties and aren't nearly as durable.

If you're planning on doing a color change in either PPF or traditional vinyl wrap material, I highly recommend buying a BLACK car. Most people don't wrap the door sills and door jams. When you open the doors the original paint is still visible. Your eyes and mind will visually dismiss the black door jams. But, if you have bold conflicting color paint, it will be more obvious and might look odd. To wrap the sills and jams is an additional $3k at our shop due to the extreme amount of extra labor needed to install.

Maybe you just haven't heard about it yet? :cool:

Unless your $2k budget is just for buying the material and doing it yourself, you won't get very far. For a full-color change PPF wrap, expect to spend $7k and up for materials and installation at a reputable shop.

The upsides to these products versus a traditional color change vinyl wrap are the extremely high gloss finish, and the expected lifespan backed up by a 10-year warranty. Most top-end vinyl brands only offer 1-3 year warranties and aren't nearly as durable.

If you're planning on doing a color change in either PPF or traditional vinyl wrap material, I highly recommend buying a BLACK car. Most people don't wrap the door sills and door jams. When you open the doors the original paint is still visible. Your eyes and mind will visually dismiss the black door jams. But, if you have bold conflicting color paint, it will be more obvious and might look odd. To wrap the sills and jams is an additional $3k at our shop due to the extreme amount of extra labor needed to install.
Dang I remember hearing about black cars being best for wraps but was hoping to get away with it... but you make good points haha. Do you think that the PPF eliminates swirls since the film is often self healing?

The self-healing qualities in ANY PPF will only last about a year and is not part of their 10 year warranties. There are other products like ceramic coatings containing Graphene that do have self-healing qualities that you can add once per year.

To answer the question about swirls accurately, not using bad car washing techniques is how to prevent swirl.

With that said, Most PPFs "can" be polished to some level to get rid of the swirl too. The PPF folks don't like that being known and definitely don't endorse that statement because it isn't "designed to withstand polishing". :cool:

The self-healing qualities in ANY PPF will only last about a year and is not part of their 10 year warranties. There are other products like ceramic coatings containing Graphene that do have self-healing qualities that you can add once per year.

To answer the question about swirls accurately, not using bad car washing techniques is how to prevent swirl.

With that said, Most PPFs "can" be polished to some level to get rid of the swirl too. The PPF folks don't like that being known and definitely don't endorse that statement because it isn't "designed to withstand polishing". :cool:
😵 never knew about the self healing thing not lasting the whole time, although it makes sense haha. I was thinking of washing by doing a combination of ONR and sometimes going through a touchless car wash!

Link?

The self-healing qualities in ANY PPF will only last about a year and is not part of their 10 year warranties.

When I first saw your post on this a few days ago, I became concerned as I have a whole-car Xpel PPF. I contacted Xpel customer support and asked them if their PPF loses its self-healing properties and, if so, would it be covered by the 10-year warranty. Here is Xpel's reply:

"That is not true. The self-healing qualities should last throughout the 10 year warranty period. If it does not, a warranty claim can be made. "

Hope that helps,
joebruin77

You lost me with self healing graphene.

No, physically, chemically wrong. Self healing properties of PPF are part of the polymer structure. It may lose abit of the modifiers blended in the polymer system over time, but that will simply make the system change (self heal) slightly slower. (And contributes to the reason to not use hydrocarbon cleaners on PPF).

Graphene is much shorter polymer and is likely locked in the ceramic polymer. That product simply wears off and needs routine reapplication.

Reactions: joebruin77
Xpel is a great product and is a great company.... and has great lawyers that write crafty fine print in their warranty verbiage. If an XPEL told you that it would be covered in a claim, that's awesome. I have a long list of clients that will LOVE this information and my off-season will be filled with XPEL funded warranty work. :cool:
You guys are probably totally right. I am not a chemist and certainly don't want to debate the size of someone's polymers. :D

Just to make my confused perspective more clear though, walk with me for a moment...

click on the "Ultimate Plus ..." link
under "Disclaimer Of Warranties" ... "This Limited Warranty does not cover defects caused by:"
#7 Damage to the wrapped surface due to improper wash techniques, automatic car washes or incorrect wash tools that may cause abrasion or by third parties not authorized by the Company.

After my statement about the self-healing qualities not typically lasting more than a year or so, I did say that bad washing methods/tools would cause the swirl marks... and #7 says that those same bad washing methods and therefore non-healed swirl marks would not be covered under warranty.

So, if you get swirl marks within the 10-year warranty, and you want to file a warranty claim with the PPF company, the PPF company "could" determine that the vehicle wasn't washed using their approved methods and then not cover the replacement of the product, right???

Note that in the warranty link it does not say, IN WRITING, anything about the self-healing properties specifically....at all. Would most companies, XPEL included, find it in their best interest, to honor a claim in these instances? of course. I just wish it was in writing.

There also isn't any mention of what they determine to be the CORRECT washing techniques or tools.

I agree JoeBruin77, the self-healing properties SHOULD last the duration of the 10-year warranty. I also think that if companies like XPEL do include the self-healing qualities in their product warranty, it should be written clearly as so. Would XPEL contest the claim? I don't know.

Thp3, I did say the Graphene would need routine, re-application.

The science and warranties might say that I am "wrong", but my real-life experience has seen countless vehicles with PPF of many different brands resulting in diminished self-healing qualities over a timeframe of around a year, resulting in swirls that don't heal, regardless of heat or time.

I'm not trying to take apart the warranty verbiage or claim that the product isn't anything less than amazing. I'm just sharing the information that I have witnessed over the years of installing the product. I don't believe any PPF company deliberately tried to trick anyone. Their warranty is very specific on what IS covered and there simply isn't anything in the warranty stating that the self-healing qualities ARE included.