Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Model 3 repair cost estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Really sad to say I scraped my red Model 3 against a pillar while backing up on the rear driver side. I put up 3 pictures of the same damaged area, some slightly zoomed out/in. There seems to be a slight dent in the center of the scratches as well. I want to get this fixed, but would really appreciate an estimate.

Also, do you think it's worth claiming insurance for this - i.e is it worth the bump in my premium? Deductible is 500$

IMG_2216.jpg
IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg

When you say totaled, do you mean the costs will be above 10K?

Thanks, do you say that because the premium bump will be less than the cost of getting it repaired?

im fairly certain that @LionXng is making a joke by saying that is totaled. No idea on how much it is to repair, but teslas in general are in the expensive category for repairs. why not take it to a body shop for a quote?

Hi,

Really sad to say I scraped my red Model 3 against a pillar while backing up on the rear driver side. I put up 3 pictures of the same damaged area, some slightly zoomed out/in. There seems to be a slight dent in the center of the scratches as well. I want to get this fixed, but would really appreciate an estimate.

Also, do you think it's worth claiming insurance for this - i.e is it worth the bump in my premium? Deductible is 500$

View attachment 616185 View attachment 616186 View attachment 616188

id go hit and run for $6000 Alex.

• Funny
Reactions: LionXng
im fairly certain that @LionXng is making a joke by saying that is totaled. No idea on how much it is to repair, but teslas in general are in the expensive category for repairs. why not take it to a body shop for a quote?
In retrospect, you're right. But I'm so bummed out that I probably missed that :p
Yup, taking it in tomorrow. Going to check if just getting it buffed out would repair most of it.

Hello,

I recently has some external damage to my red Tesla model 3. I'm trying to see if just buffing it will get most of the scratches removed. Will only consider repainting if that's not enough. Here are some pics of the damage - https://photos.app.goo.gl/dwYeYcVa4fw2fpbv6

Do folks have any recommendations for auto shops in the Seattle/King Country area? Since this should something a regular auto body shop should be able to fix, I also want to checkout non-Tesla certified shops (which are hopefully less expensive)

(moderator note: moved separate thread created on this into existing thread on same topic)

Oh for sure - it's just that I thought the costs would be much higher to fix this.

Looks like you need paint for sure, but you may be able to get the dent removed with a paintless dent guy first for around $100. That way there's no body work needed, just paint. But if you buff it out, it may turn our to be such little paint needed that you can do it with Dr Colorchip.

Looks like you need paint for sure, but you may be able to get the dent removed with a paintless dent guy first for around $100. That way there's no body work needed, just paint. But if you buff it out, it may turn our to be such little paint needed that you can do it with Dr Colorchip.
That's what I'm thinking of doing -
1. Get it buffed out first
2. See if the remaining paint can just be done with the Tesla paint correction kit/Dr. Colorchip
3. Get the dent fixed with a paintless dent guy

Can I get the dent fixed after the buff/paint, or does it have it be before?

That's what I'm thinking of doing -
1. Get it buffed out first
2. See if the remaining paint can just be done with the Tesla paint correction kit/Dr. Colorchip
3. Get the dent fixed with a paintless dent guy

Can I get the dent fixed after the buff/paint, or does it have it be before?

Better to do your best on the paint first so they can use the reflection on the paint to know when they have the metal straight.

If all of that white stuff is paint transferred from the post, then you'll be good. If that's the primer showing through, then you'll be in a paint booth soon.

Better to do your best on the paint first so they can use the reflection on the paint to know when they have the metal straight.

If all of that white stuff is paint transferred from the post, then you'll be good. If that's the primer showing through, then you'll be in a paint booth soon.
Makes sense, thanks! So if it's the primer showing through, buffing will make it worse and I should just get a repainting done? I'm just trying to see if I can get more of it buffed out.