TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

RED Model 3 SR+, do I pay more UK Road Tax ?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Buttybach, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Buttybach

Buttybach Member

Have I made a miscalculation in recently buying a red standard range plus? The £1900 price for the red paint seemed OK at the time as I love the colour, but, looking at the Vehicle Excise Duty it seems that after a free first year I will have to pay £310/yr because the list price is over £40k. In fact mine is £40,740 because of the red paint.

I haven't seen anything written about this so it could me just me misunderstanding things. If not then the red paint could turn out to be a very expensive option over the long term.

Can anyone put me right on this please?

2. kevuwk

kevuwk Member

All SR+ are over £40k and fall under the luxury car tax

• Like x 1
  3. wickeruk

wickeruk Member

Yeah you need to add back on that government grant of £3500, annoying isn't it

Hopefully the government will see sense and abolish the tax on EV's

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Buttybach

Buttybach Member

If delivery is excluded I make it £39,990 for the base car inc VAT. I agree that if delivery is included then the colour does not matter.

Not sure if it is or isn't

5. Buttybach

Buttybach Member

Oh and that is before deducting the £3500...

6. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Delivery is included you can check the gov site as they have a pdf

7. anon37485

anon37485 Closed

It’s definitely included. All M3s are unfortunately hit with the ‘luxury’ tax.

• Like x 2
  8. alanbyvale

alanbyvale Member

Whilst I would love to not pay road tax I realise somebody has to pay taxes and as ICE cars diminish the revenue will go with it. Having said that I do think the luxury car tax bracket is set far too low now. I would be happy with a figure between £150 and £200 for the M3.

9. Buttybach

Buttybach Member

Thanks all for checking - I see now that delivery costs make it a non-issue. You have saved me from some buyer-angst as I don't like making miscalculations with my hard -earned.

10. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

Depending what you’re driving now (and may be paying VED) you’ll save that £310 in fuel savings over your first (very pleasurable) 2000 miles in the M3. ;)