Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RED Model 3 SR+, do I pay more UK Road Tax ?

Buttybach

Sep 30, 2019
Hampshire, Uk
Have I made a miscalculation in recently buying a red standard range plus? The £1900 price for the red paint seemed OK at the time as I love the colour, but, looking at the Vehicle Excise Duty it seems that after a free first year I will have to pay £310/yr because the list price is over £40k. In fact mine is £40,740 because of the red paint.

I haven't seen anything written about this so it could me just me misunderstanding things. If not then the red paint could turn out to be a very expensive option over the long term.

Can anyone put me right on this please?

Buttybach

Sep 30, 2019
Hampshire, Uk
If delivery is excluded I make it £39,990 for the base car inc VAT. I agree that if delivery is included then the colour does not matter.

Not sure if it is or isn't

alanbyvale

Aug 11, 2019
Nottingham
Whilst I would love to not pay road tax I realise somebody has to pay taxes and as ICE cars diminish the revenue will go with it. Having said that I do think the luxury car tax bracket is set far too low now. I would be happy with a figure between £150 and £200 for the M3.

Buttybach

Sep 30, 2019
Hampshire, Uk
Thanks all for checking - I see now that delivery costs make it a non-issue. You have saved me from some buyer-angst as I don't like making miscalculations with my hard -earned.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Depending what you’re driving now (and may be paying VED) you’ll save that £310 in fuel savings over your first (very pleasurable) 2000 miles in the M3. ;)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC