TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Red Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TheSuit, Aug 28, 2016.

1. TheSuit

TheSuit Member

Just saw the attached youtube video. The color is red sometimes and orange sometimes. Anyone able to comment on if it's more red or orange in person, and how it compares looks wise to the standard red Tesla has (better/worse in your opinion)? Also, most importantly, who knows the name of the song that starts playing at 1:11. :p

2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

#2 JeffK, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    It's red... anything else is a lighting/white balance issue

3. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Regardless of any responses until Tesla makes Model 3 colors available in the design studio you won't know what colors are available and what they look like until then.

4. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

That is my video. It was darker red in person. Very little orange to my eye, despite what my phone picked up. Not the same as the multicoat red or sig red.

• Like x 2
  5. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

When filming a video try to keep the fingers off the mic. Trying to find the song the op referenced and the and the stereo going in and out is really freaking my ears out :)

6. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

I've seen it in person, but only under artificial lights (at the Reveal Event). It's is absolutely NOT the multi-coat red Tesla offers now. To my eyes (I'm not talking about pictures) it had some orange in it.

I personally don't like it as much as MC Red but again, I didn't see it under natural light and, as others have noted, there's no way to know yet if it will be a color that's offered on the final car.

• Like x 1
  7. TheSuit

TheSuit Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Glad it doesn't lean towards orange as the red side of it looks fantastic. If they release this color, it'll be between this and their ocean blue.

JeffK, I hope you can find the song - I hunted with no luck. :) Definitely a great tune!

8. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I thought I removed the audio before uploading to YouTube. Guess I selected the wrong copy.

9. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

At one point, prior to settling on the current Multicoat RED, there was the Signature RED and another hue... I think it was called 'Sunburst RED' or something of that sort. If any of you ever saw that color, circa early 2013 or so, could you let us know if it looked like the RED Model ☰ from the Reveal Event or not? Thanks!

• Like x 1
  10. DougH

DougH Active Member

Signature Red was an option for the first 1000 order on the Model S and X. And I am pretty sure there was never a Sunburst Red, it has always been MC Red.

11. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

The dress is blue dammit! lol

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My spouse and I saw that car at the Gigafactory event. She has excellent color vision (mine is poor). She told me it looks "orangey red", more red than orange but definitely some orange.

I just thought it looked beautiful.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Member

• Like x 1
  14. Wee John

Wee John Member

If you stop the video at 47 seconds, the reflection of the guy with the red suit disappears, so it must be the same colour as his suit. :)

It looks like an iridescent red, that means it's a deep red and this particular paint has orange highlights in direct reflection (it changes colour to orange on highlights).

Sunburst red is a Ford colour and it is a very orange red non metallic.

• Informative x 1
  15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Sunset Red was the original name. Don't know if any cars were ever produced with it. What is Sunset Red?

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. Red Sage

Thank you very much for that link. Yes, Sunset RED is the color I had read was another available hue at some point. But apparently it was slightly reformulated and renamed, it seems.
    [​IMG]
    Shole iz purdy doe!

• Like x 2
  17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

The color is an orange-red ... also known as Chinese red before PC times ...:cool:

IMG_5202.JPG IMG_5201.JPG IMG_5200.JPG IMG_5199.JPG IMG_5195.JPG IMG_5194.JPG IMG_5192.JPG IMG_5191.JPG IMG_5190.JPG

18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Maybe like 3M's "Dragon Fire Red" vinyl wrap color, which is admittedly a much cooler name.

• Like x 1
  19. Red Sage

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

^^ Very nice.
    I'm partial to reds with some bordeaux, but this is a a close second.