Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, just wanted to create a thread specifically for red model Ys. Red is the least popular yet coolest looking color for a Tesla! I've heard rumors about red cars taking longer to produce and I created a spreadsheet to track red Y's which you can take a look at here in an attempt to better estimate when my car might be ready. Looks like a lot of 1/13 reds have their VINs assigned already while 1/14s are just starting to get VINs.

My car is a red MYLR with gemini wheels and black interior. Ordered it on 1/15 and awaiting delivery in Boston. Current EDD is 2/22 - 3/29. Please post your order details here and I'll add it to my sheet.

Reactions: Gulfbear
Here's the latest update to my red tracker.

Average days to VIN for 1/13 orders is 11 days.

Given there were less orders on the 14th compared to the 13th I'd expect half as long to get the VINs from the 14th out, maybe another 5 or y days?

Interestingly a couple VINs have been assigned to orders from the 14th already but both of them were assigned very early compared to the majority of the 13th VINs and they also have delivery date ranges very similar to orders placed on the 13th.

1674911217853.png

Reactions: Gulfbear
Hey everyone, just wanted to create a thread specifically for red model Ys. Red is the least popular yet coolest looking color for a Tesla! I've heard rumors about red cars taking longer to produce and I created a spreadsheet to track red Y's which you can take a look at here in an attempt to better estimate when my car might be ready. Looks like a lot of 1/13 reds have their VINs assigned already while 1/14s are just starting to get VINs.

My car is a red MYLR with gemini wheels and black interior. Ordered it on 1/15 and awaiting delivery in Boston. Current EDD is 2/22 - 3/29. Please post your order details here and I'll add it to my sheet.
Based upon your order date and EDD, my SWAG is a VIN in 1-2 weeks. Hopefully you'll get it sooner!

Reactions: J-a-x
Love the spreadsheet. As a fellow spreadsheeter and future red owner, here is one I created for the Y we got in the summer of 2020 that tracks savings in charging compared to gas. We had a Honda Pilot that got 19.5 MPG and I'm using the price of gas at the place we usually frequented. My wife drives a lot so it has added up quick, especially last summer when gas was $$$. About a year ago Tesla started to show the total KWhs on the Trips page, which made a few columns no longer needed and improved overall accuracy (and more accurate the the Tesla app estimates). Should only need to fill in columns in white and update as needed. We maybe super charge 1% of the time, so I consider that a wash against oil changes and routine maintenance. Welcome to copy.

Cool! I like it! I also like that Tesla does some of the work for us to track this sort of thing.
With my current car (Mini) I did a pretty good job of tracking my milage over time. Turns out I only drive 15 miles per day on average. I don't drive every day but I often drive a few hundred miles on weekends.

ORDERED 1/14, EDD 2/14, STD WHEELS AND BLACK INTERIOR. NO VIN YET.

Just noticed your spreadsheet shows my car data from the TMC source. In error I indicated that I had a VIN assigned. It doesn't. I responded in separate thread today with correct info. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for starting this thread!

I’m still waiting on my vin. I ordered late on 1/13. I hope that doesn’t hurt my chances of getting a car from the current batch. I assume if a red doesn’t come out of this group we’ll be waiting a few weeks more. EDD says 1/29-2/12 but it’s been moving.

Important question... what are you naming your car? I'm looking for some inspired red-themed names.
Great question! I’ve been pondering it too and wonder what you’re considering so far. We were surprised when we picked up our M3 that you have to name it that day. In daily life we call that one “Tes” and I usually call our new order “Twoey” (Little Shop of Horrors reference) since we’re keeping the M3.

I’ve been keeping an eye on red inspired names also and am considering the classic “Scarlet” as an alternative. I saw someone suggest “Melisandre” which is pretty fabulous if you’re a GOT fan. I almost had a red Mach-e delivered X-mas week and was thinking “Rud-e” so I wonder if there are some Valentine’s Day inspired names for February deliveries. Maybe that depends how much you love your car, lol.

I’m very curious what others are planning!

Great question! I’ve been pondering it too and wonder what you’re considering so far. We were surprised when we picked up our M3 that you have to name it that day. In daily life we call that one “Tes” and I usually call our new order “Twoey” (Little Shop of Horrors reference) since we’re keeping the M3.

I’ve been keeping an eye on red inspired names also and am considering the classic “Scarlet” as an alternative. I saw someone suggest “Melisandre” which is pretty fabulous if you’re a GOT fan. I almost had a red Mach-e delivered X-mas week and was thinking “Rud-e” so I wonder if there are some Valentine’s Day inspired names for February deliveries. Maybe that depends how much you love your car, lol.

I’m very curious what others are planning!
Wow, you're hitting a ride range of pop-culture references. My son named my wife's white Y crYpto, not sure why - but we never call it that. Rosie came to mind initially for me. As a Cincinnati Reds fan, 'Rosie Red' is their female mascot, with Mr. Red being the other. Maybe Mr.? Clifford? Big Red? Ginger? Phoenix? Blaze? Elmo? Annie? Heinz?

Something else to occupy my mind... while I wait. First world problems...

Here's the latest update to my red tracker.

Average days to VIN for 1/13 orders is 11 days.

Given there were less orders on the 14th compared to the 13th I'd expect half as long to get the VINs from the 14th out, maybe another 5 or y days?

Interestingly a couple VINs have been assigned to orders from the 14th already but both of them were assigned very early compared to the majority of the 13th VINs and they also have delivery date ranges very similar to orders placed on the 13th.

View attachment 900605