Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red not the best color for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up mine at the Marina Del Rey delivery center too - and that day I was one of 3 reds in an ocean of grey and whites. The red with the Aero wheels for me - a personal preference - is the best combo. The red stands out yet not overwhelming since there's not much painted area and it complements well with the dark panoramic roof. The black "hubcaps" become invisible almost and makes the red pop even more. I do agree with another comment here that the red is perfect for the Model 3 because it's not too much unlike on an X or an S - again, it lies in the eyes of the beholder. But... I LOVE ALL MODEL 3s I've seen so far in the wild.

IMG_8290.JPG

Having seen all the colors, Red and White 3s are best IMHO. We were set on Red and arent’ disappointed in any way. We saw white ones when we picked ours up and they looked sharp. But with a White X already, we weren’t going to go with White. Actually, I think Red looks good with the Aero covers too, which we have and so far are sticking with.

I agree with the Aero wheels. At first I picked the Aeros because I was intending to upgrade to an aftermarket turbine wheels, then when I took delivery and saw it in person, I was sold that it was the perfect match to the "Tesla Red" paint. I'm still grinning ear-to-ear at how beautiful the Model 3 came out to be and I am so happy for many of us who owns one (or more) of these "baby Tes". We're picking up our X in 2 weeks - in White. =) We did the opposite, instead of getting the larger Tesla we waited for the 3 and decided we now want the X for family hauling after falling madly in love with our "Marina3"

I agree with the Aero wheels. At first I picked the Aeros because I was intending to upgrade to an aftermarket turbine wheels, then when I took delivery and saw it in person, I was sold that it was the perfect match to the "Tesla Red" paint. I'm still grinning ear-to-ear at how beautiful the Model 3 came out to be and I am so happy for many of us who owns one (or more) of these "baby Tes". We're picking up our X in 2 weeks - in White. =) We did the opposite, instead of getting the larger Tesla we waited for the 3 and decided we now want the X for family hauling after falling madly in love with our "Marina3"
Congrats on the pair of Teslas! Yes, we are in automotive nirvana with the X and 3, balancing sportiness, everyday drivability, utility, and of course efficiency! Oh and we are ecstatic with our color choices! You have great taste too :)

I was the Outback Restaurant getting take out. It was dusk which IMO is when red is at its best. The young woman came to the car, took a step back and said "what a beautiful car"
She did not know it was a Tesla and had never even heard of Tesla. She loved both the red and the looks of the car which is a real tribute to Tesla's designer.

FWIW, I have one of the first multi-coat Red Teslas produced (May 2013 build--ordered in February but had to wait until Elon found a red 'that did not suck'). The multi-coat red changes color dramatically depending on the time of day, angle of the sun, etc, etc. Rich looking at night, eye popping in the full midday sun. Works for me. And once I can order my dual drive Model 3, it will be the multi-coat Red to replace my 5 year old S (....stay tuned, will be up for sale here this summer....).

I agree with JPP above. I was REALLY on the fence about the MC Red on our S. I normally prefer a pure bright non-metallic red, and the Model S red is considerably darker. I kept seeing them in less than ideal lighting conditions or very dirty. The oddest color shift occurs when the car is a bit dirty with light colored dirt...under some lighting it looks PINK! Ick.

I finally tracked down a local owner who let me see the car clean under the Texas sun...that sealed the deal for me. Ironically, at the time I would have really preferred the "new" blue, but I was buying CPO and there were no "new" blue CPO cars in my price range. 21 months later, I like the dang red so much that I am struggling to pick the blue over it...it will likely come down to whether or not we keep the "S". If we keep the "S", then I may go blue for the 3...if we sell the "S", red looks a lot more likely. Dang you first world problems!!!

All right so no black.

Silver is great but I have been driving a Model S90D in silver for 2 years and am up for a change.

How about that blue? That is some blue.

I'm looking for a low-maintenance color, so maybe the midnight gray (silver?) is what I want.

Oh wait Electoma. You said that dirty black cars look good. I had to think about that a moment or two.

All right I'm back in considering black. I've never had a black car.

And midnight gray. Maybe blue. Blue does not look good dirty, like black does, right?

We already have a red S.
A quality wax or nano ceramic coating will make any color easier to maintain, even black:)

I agree with the OP. The model 3 red looks classy, but kind of in an old man kind of way. It's got some burgundy in it, and it looks REALLY burgundy in certain lighting. To me, burgundy is an old man car color. I wish the TM3 red was like dodge viper red, acura nsx red, or mazda rx7 red.
So I'm getting white, which looks awesome on the TM3.