Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red - paint quality issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not an option for everyone, but I had my Detail Shop owner inspect my MCR finish at delivery. Since he had to perform paint correction after delivery and apply PPF, he was very diligent in inspecting the finish and measuring paint thickness.
Unfortunately, I had to have front bumper and hood repaint, due to dust nibs in the paint, which detailer couldn't fix.
Tesla's body shop did a great job, and PPF turned out great. Most paint defects can be better fixed by competent Detail shop, over Tesla's overworked trainee's.

ok thank you for the replies.

The service rep will arrange another appt for another repair...I will tell him what I see the paint and see what they can.
I'm concerned that the car is going back the same body shop and go through the same thing...the car might get worse..and worse..

AS far as the detailer, Im gonna ask him if I can use the shop I think it'd be good for get it fixed and have Tesla pay for it.

Reactions: super20g
update: it took about a month to get this right but I was somewhat impressed how Tesla handled this. Went to Bodyshop two times but it came out good in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    461 KB · Views: 92
All this red talk is freaking me out about ordering mine. LOL.

Just get off of this Forum and you will be fine. I took delivery of my M3P in late December 2018. Is my red paint perfect? Nope. Is it stunning from a foot or more away? Yup. Is it the best car I have ever driven? Yup. Do the couple of dust particles and subtle orange peel in one spot detract from my joy in this car? Not a bit!

Just get off of this Forum and you will be fine. I took delivery of my M3P in late December 2018. Is my red paint perfect? Nope. Is it stunning from a foot or more away? Yup. Is it the best car I have ever driven? Yup. Do the couple of dust particles and subtle orange peel in one spot detract from my joy in this car? Not a bit!

I know it’s not the end of the world and in the grand scheme of the purchase price not everything but for $2500, the paint jobs really should be better.

Reactions: Scott7
I know it’s not the end of the world and in the grand scheme of the purchase price not everything but for $2500, the paint jobs really should be better.

From a foot away the paint job looks stunning. As good as my past BMW and Audi, better than two Ferraris (360 and 430) and on par with almost every other modern car. Yes, if I take fine eye to the paint surface up close there are imperfections. But why do that? Jump into the car, press the "go pedal" and have fun. It's a car, not a museum piece. The very first ding you get will be worse than anything Tesla does to the original paint job. I really believe that people get hysterical about some things that are incredibly minor in the scheme of life on this forum. It's all about context (at least IMHO). If you want a Red Tesla you pay $2500. That's the price of admission. The paint will be no more or less high quality than if you buy black. Is it a money grab by Tesla? Heck yes, but who cares? I like red and again, IMHO, it's the best color for the Model 3...