Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red - paint quality issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had them bring the signed (yes, signed before even seeing my car) papers out with us to the delivery area. That way, if I saw something that caused me enough pause to want to back out... I would simply take the paperwork and negate my signature.

Also, this is where I had them fill out the "We Owe" paperwork, stating what the dealership owes you even after taking delivery of the vehicle.

It was on this form that I stated that I wanted all the paint issues addressed to my satisfaction after taking delivery. Also on this form was the request for my carbon wheels (the wheels weren't here yet, but Tesla wanted me to take delivery before the end of Q1 (March 30th). As well as the full detailing that they didn't have time to do... etc.

I think, but am not sure, that this is pretty standard practice?

They did have me sign first, THEN showed me the car and took it outside to look again. Seemed to be the norm. So if you’re iffy....don’t sign until after you’ve seen it. Though I’m not sure if they are not allowed to show you it/take it outside unless “it’s yours”?

Mannnn...that sucks! Sounds like my Army recruiter. Was there a way to walk around the place to look for the car first? Thanks.

At my delivery on 8/20 in Bellevue, WA, (MCR, VIN 561XX, 08/18 build) they allowed as much time to inspect car as I needed before signing, but I did have to ask to inspect first. DS gave no pushback to request, so I was very happy with delivery process, even though my car had over a dozen paint defects. Other than these cosmetic paint defects, the car was flawless to my inspection and drive.

I had my car's finish inspected by the owner of the Detailing shop, that I was immediately taking it to for paint correction/PPF. My Detailer said although the car had these dozen+ minor paint defects, they would be considered acceptable and common with any auto manufacturer. I must admit that I only spotted a few of the defects he identified, and most were easily addressed with paint correction.
A few of the dust nibs on the top of the bumper and frunk lid were very noticeable, and would be made more visible after PPF. So I agreed to have Tesla repaint the bumper and frunk lid, rather than wait 3-4 weeks for factory replacement parts. Tesla guaranteed the paint match and my satisfaction. Additionally they assured me there would be no "Carfax" or similar report generated.

I guess I'll know tomorrow how they did, after it's taken to my Detailer.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
"Sorry, we’ve put pretty extreme rules in place for paint & quality in general. If need be, we’re repainting/replacing entire sections of car or building whole new cars. Got to be done."

The good news is it's on their radar and future builds should have better quality. I'm happy to get my car a few weeks later after they correct these issues.

My M3 was dropped back at Tesla from the body shop yesterday after I first dropped it off 3 weeks ago. Received a call today saying it did not pass inspection. I was at work at the time and didn’t really understand what the significance was or what to ask about.

So a part of the rear driver rocker panel that was repainted had some rust on it. The rep said possibly a one day job.

Can someone tell me what this means? And is it significant? I’m pending a response back from the service center.

Last edited:
I know what a rocker panel is, but haven't heard of a "rear driver rocker panel".
Did he mean "rear drivers side rocker panel" perhaps?
The rocker panel being low on the vehicle isn't as visible a location for paint defects, but it gets all the road debris and water from the car driving in rain, so it should be well protected/painted. Tesla uses a form of PPF on the rocker panel, so I'm unclear how they repair paint on this portion of the rocker panel.
Any new paint on the cars sheetmetal is detectable via digital coating thickness gauge, so technically it could be detected in the future, even if perfect body work is performed. That being said, I don't think I'd be too concerned as long as re-paint hold up, and no rust returns.

I know what a rocker panel is, but haven't heard of a "rear driver rocker panel".
Did he mean "rear drivers side rocker panel" perhaps?
The rocker panel being low on the vehicle isn't as visible a location for paint defects, but it gets all the road debris and water from the car driving in rain, so it should be well protected/painted. Tesla uses a form of PPF on the rocker panel, so I'm unclear how they repair paint on this portion of the rocker panel.
Any new paint on the cars sheetmetal is detectable via digital coating thickness gauge, so technically it could be detected in the future, even if perfect body work is performed. That being said, I don't think I'd be too concerned as long as re-paint hold up, and no rust returns.

it may have been rear driver's side quarter panel...? I don't remember exactly what he said. I'll have to clarify exactly what happened when I pick up the car. but thanks for the reassurance!

I was told today, the day before I'm scheduled to pick up my car, that there is a large, deep scratch in the paint on the front bumper. The IDA gave me two choices; let them fix it or request a new car. I'm trying to think if there is any downside to requesting a new car. I can't think of any. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

VIN 5YJ3E1EBXJF0545##. AWD, Black Interior, Standard Wheels

• Informative
Terrible.
Personally I would request another car.
I had a somewhat similar experience several years ago on a brand new car.. The dealer replaced and painted a door panel that was damaged by a careless employee in their shop. It looked OK initially, but in time it became more and more objectionable. It lacked the luster, depth, and brilliance of the original paint. I never approached the car without seeing the defect.

Aside from the fact that your damage was probably human error .... I do not understand why Tesla has had such a difficult time providing a high quality paint job. Read the many post ... it is a reoccurring problem.
Painting a car is not a new technology; iIt is not unique to EV's.

I've said elsewhere .... Tesla cannot continue to depend on the SC to correct defects that should never have occurred, and certainly should never have been shipped.

I'm confident quality control overall has improved, but so many posters comment about having to return to the SC for corrections, adjustments or replacements.

• Informative
OK... while I certainly feel for what @Stirfelt has gone through... I have a difficult time accepting that you should request a new car due to a scratch on the bumper.

For all we know, the scratch happened upon delivery to the dealership. No one knows for sure. To state that it is a result of a poor paint job is just wrong. We all know that Tesla has struggled with paint quality issues... that is not the discussion here. The simple fact, as I understand it, is that your car - at some point - got a scratch in the bumper.

Who's to say - if you request a new car entirely - that it won't come with some 'defect' of it's own? It's been discussed (as my own family worked for a dealership delivery for ICE cars many years ago) many times that 'regular' cars get damaged in transit... and those damages are fixed before ever reaching a dealership's floor. The buyer is none-the-wiser.

I let the dealership (Tesla) fix my paint issues, and it has been perfect. Let them fix the issue, and enjoy your car for all the good things it is... not the 'fixed bumper' that is has...

Brian's ReX -I appreciate and do not disagree with your statement, but the report was ..... "a large, deep scratch."
I acknowledge that my position is tempered because I am in no rush.
I will say, however, I have never knowingly bought a new car that arrived damaged (the incident I cited occurred a week after delivery) or was fearful to wait for another because it might have a worse defect.

Today we all received notice from Tesla that two color choices are no-longer standard offerings, and will cost $500 additional.
I'm becoming suspicious hat Tesla's problems are more deep seated that many of us suspected.

Hello all,

Picked up my car August 4th at Costa Mesa. Felt rushed, signed paper work within 1 minute. A lot of small paint issues that could probably be fixed with a detail, which I planned to schedule an appointment for until...

After I brought the car home, I found this (pictured below). Excuse my lack of knowledge of car anatomy, but this is at the foot of the entrance of driver's side back seat after opening the door. It looks like there is grit underneath? Or possibly excess of the clear coat? I also noticed a couple of these on the trunk hood and the area of paint above the left doors. It looks like maybe something dirty was sprayed onto the left side and the clear coat was painted on anyway.

View attachment 323357

It is obvious QC is very lacking, and I'm frustrated that I have to call them now. Hopefully the repair center is nice and will readily accept it for fixing. My biggest fear is that this is will take a very long time to repair.
I have the same problem, with the addition of bare metal scrapes on underside of hood and a nick in front bumper. Brought car to service center this past Monday 8AM when I called today Wednesday 10AM, the car was still there and not even sent to the body shop. I asked how long will it be before I can expect the car back and was told, " body shop is a third party and we have no control as to their work, or how long it will take." I told them to take the car back, I want a new one.
The thought of having body panels repainted convinced me that I want a new car. a few years from now when/if the paint peels or discolors, what recourse will I have? As a Tesla spokesman said " Tesla customers never have to worry because if they are unhappy with their car when they receive it, they can either give it back for a full refund, allow us to address any issues, or ask for an entirely new Tesla"
UBS Rips Apart Tesla's Model 3 and Finds Some Areas Seriously Lacking

• Informative
Terrible.
Personally I would request another car.
I had a somewhat similar experience several years ago on a brand new car.. The dealer replaced and painted a door panel that was damaged by a careless employee in their shop. It looked OK initially, but in time it became more and more objectionable. It lacked the luster, depth, and brilliance of the original paint. I never approached the car without seeing the defect.

Aside from the fact that your damage was probably human error .... I do not understand why Tesla has had such a difficult time providing a high quality paint job. Read the many post ... it is a reoccurring problem.
Painting a car is not a new technology; iIt is not unique to EV's.

I've said elsewhere .... Tesla cannot continue to depend on the SC to correct defects that should never have occurred, and certainly should never have been shipped.

I'm confident quality control overall has improved, but so many posters comment about having to return to the SC for corrections, adjustments or replacements.

I have a similar experience with a car being sold as new that required significant repaint. Special ordered a BMW E46 back in 2000 for a girl I was dating at the time. Get a call from sales that we need to "go look at the car".

They take us out to the car and the paint on the hood is melted. They say some new detailer they hired sprayed brake cleaner on the hood instead of spray wax and melted the paint.

I'm ready to reject the car, but the dealer offers a huge discount on it and they will send it to "great body shop' to get it fixed. Girl I'm with has mini tantrum that she wants the car, doesn't want to wait 6 weeks for another one.

Get the car back a couple of weeks later and it looks perfect.

For three months. Then the paint starts to discolor. Make appointment and back to the body shop it goes. It's in the body shop for another 10 days. Get the car back and it looks good.

For another six months. Now it's peeling off. Back to the body shop again.

I don't know what happened to the car after that, I broke things off with her.

I certainly cannot speak for the rest of the country as it relates to the quality of paint shop that Tesla uses/recommends... and maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones because my SC is super awesome at not only making sure that I am happy/taken care of... but they only use premium paint shops and detail shops. So, my view may be tainted. o_O

I needed my FWD's repainted - as mentioned in other threads - and before I agreed to their recommended paint shop, I vetted them by visiting. Once I met them, and saw the caliber of vehicles that were entrusted them, I felt very confident that Tesla had picked a trustworthy paint shop and subsequent detail shop. I am also very confident that the quality of paint is high, and there will be no issues 'down the road' - so to speak.

Maybe that would be a good thing to do? Visit the paint shop. If all you see is 'Thousand-Dollar-Cars' in their lot/building... it may be an indicator that they don't have the best quality worksmanship. I know that sounds elitist... but I didn't pay over $100K for a car, just to have some lackey work on it. I paid a premium for a vehicle, and it's worth my time to do my research.

@Stirfelt That does suck that Tesla is changing their color policies and charging $500 more for certain choices! Maybe insist that you paid for, and made your decision BEFORE this issue happened. You would think you'd be 'grandfathered' in!

Good luck!

What happens to ask these Teslas with defective paint that get rejected? Repaired and sold as new or..?

In most cases they would be repaired and sold as new.

In rare cases they would be written off and destroyed after gutting them for service parts.

Despite the desire of some consumers to not buy a reworked car they are never ever just put in a wood chipper.

• Informative