TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Red stripe on the P85 badge?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TEG, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Red stripe on the S85 badge?

Not sure if this has been discussed already, but I saw a Model S with a red stripe on the P85 badge.
    Have they made a lot this way? Does it indicate something special about that car?

Bad photo:
    ps85.png

2. CarlK

CarlK Member

Not that I know of. Looks someone just did an Audi.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

My guess is that it's a standard 85 and he swiped an Audi badge to make it a "P85".

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

How insecure does someone have to be to change their car's badge to make it look like a more expensive model?

5. James Anders

James Anders Member

Maybe it has nothing to do with "insecurity" and they just really like it.

6. WillAustin

WillAustin Member

There's certainly something questionable about re-badging a car to pretend to be something it's not.

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

This, especially considering how easily it might be to fool a lot of people (those not as familiar with Tesla as most here).

8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I could put a P and D On my car, but who would I be fooling? It gets enough attention without those extra letters...

9. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

On the used market right now, a lot of people could be fooled.

10. tga

tga Supporting Member

Don't forget the pictures of the supposed "P85D+" that appeared 2 months ago: Chrome P85D+, yes, PLUS!

11. roblab

roblab Active Member

#11 roblab, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Thanks, yes. I may be insecure, but I put an "S" in front of my "85" because I LIKE it. All these "P" badges, and "+", and "D", which to most people mean nothing, and my car came with just a plain old "85".

Since it had Special custom paint, and Standard motor, and is a Signature (VIN 00064), and S is my last name initial, I decided to make it look like something it IS, pretty darned Slick. And it's removable for when I go to sell it, if anyone doesn't like it.

Not trying to fool anybody. I just like it. Also, you can order letters and numbers on line, so you don't have to swipe them off another car.

S85 001 fx.jpg

12. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

roblab, I don't think you're trying to fool anyone. It's only those people who put the performance badges on standard-model cars (not just Tesla - the "Type-R" guys, even the people who bought GTO badges and put them on plain Pontiac LeMans sedans in the mid-60's). Long history of that.

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

For what it's worth, I showed the pic today to a manager while over at the Tesla factory. They'd never seen it before.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, maybe one of these flipped over and added in front of a regular '85':
    Audi s Line Trunk Emblem Badge Chrome Red | eBay

audis.png

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Maybe it was the same car over again, but I saw one of these again and got a better picture:
    s85.png