Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Tesla Powerwall + Gateway + Installation ($6000)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be aware of the tax implications for anyone that buys a referral powerwall. Tesla will send a 1099-MISC for the full powerwall + installation price (currently about $8600) to the recipient of the installation.

I.e. you are getting taxed on this bad boy as a "gift".

• Informative
Reactions: Draketurner
Word. Makes sense. Thanks for that additional Tidbit. I've started the solar process and there rebate associated with purchasing a new one through tesla as well.
One additional question. So do you physically have that powerall in your possession or does that get delivered to the person who takes the possession of it by Tesla?

Word. Makes sense. Thanks for that additional Tidbit. I've started the solar process and there rebate associated with purchasing a new one through tesla as well.
One additional question. So do you physically have that powerall in your possession or does that get delivered to the person who takes the possession of it by Tesla?

I don't physically have it. I have been contacted by Tesla to move on with the installation. They mentioned it can be transferred.

Be aware of the tax implications for anyone that buys a referral powerwall. Tesla will send a 1099-MISC for the full powerwall + installation price (currently about $8600) to the recipient of the installation.

I.e. you are getting taxed on this bad boy as a "gift".

Yes. I am aware of it. My underlying assumption is that I would be taking care of this tax implication. The $6k price has this baked in. Effectively, I'll be making much less if I subtract my tax liability on this gift.

Yes. I am aware of it. My underlying assumption is that I would be taking care of this tax implication. The $6k price has this baked in. Effectively, I'll be making much less if I subtract my tax liability on this gift.

By other reports, that's not how it works. Tesla asks for the tax information of the person things are being signed over to. Please let us know if your adviser says differently, but right now that is what everyone has been reporting.

Reactions: Draketurner
How is $6K a deal for anyone eligible (so, assuming one will get, or already has, PVs) for FITC on a PW? Unless they really want a red one?

Buying this: $6K + 1099-MISC tax = ~$7K

Buying from Tesla: $7,600 + $2,500 installation - FITC = ~$7K

How is $6K a deal for anyone eligible (so, assuming one will get, or already has, PVs) for FITC on a PW? Unless they really want a red one?

Buying this: $6K + 1099-MISC tax = ~$7K

Buying from Tesla: $7,600 + $2,500 installation - FITC = ~$7K

I was assuming I would take the tax liability (my price has that baked in). Since it appears that the tax liability would be one installing at their property. I will revisit the pricing. Obviously, the goal is for someone to get a discount through my referral.

Just read another member's post that Tesla is just deducting $1K from installation costs through the referral. Specifically, he was being charged $2K (instead of normal cost of $3K) for installation. I haven't contacted Tesla myself about this specifically, so don't know whether that's true.

Is PW3 a thing?

What? No. Besides, the referral awards are for Founders Powerwall 2s.

I was assuming I would take the tax liability

That would be nice if we could do it that way and insulate the buyer from any tax liability. But that's not how it works, from the information we have so far.

Just read another member's post that Tesla is just deducting $1K from installation costs through the referral. Specifically, he was being charged $2K (instead of normal cost of $3K) for installation. I haven't contacted Tesla myself about this specifically, so don't know whether that's true.

Yes, the PW2 referral awards include $1000 installation credit.