TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Red Tesla Powerwall + Gateway + Installation ($6000)

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by ab26, Sep 18, 2019.

1. ab26

ab26 Member

Got it as a referral. Was told by Tesla I can give it to someone else if I don't need it.

2. Gnzasu

Gnzasu Member

So how would this work? Do you just assign the referral to another person and they get to use the installation credit?

3. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Be aware of the tax implications for anyone that buys a referral powerwall. Tesla will send a 1099-MISC for the full powerwall + installation price (currently about $8600) to the recipient of the installation.

I.e. you are getting taxed on this bad boy as a "gift".

• Informative x 1
  4. Gnzasu

Gnzasu Member

Word. Makes sense. Thanks for that additional Tidbit. I've started the solar process and there rebate associated with purchasing a new one through tesla as well.
    One additional question. So do you physically have that powerall in your possession or does that get delivered to the person who takes the possession of it by Tesla?

5. ab26

ab26 Member

I don't physically have it. I have been contacted by Tesla to move on with the installation. They mentioned it can be transferred.

6. ab26

ab26 Member

Yes. I am aware of it. My underlying assumption is that I would be taking care of this tax implication. The $6k price has this baked in. Effectively, I'll be making much less if I subtract my tax liability on this gift.

7. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

By other reports, that's not how it works. Tesla asks for the tax information of the person things are being signed over to. Please let us know if your adviser says differently, but right now that is what everyone has been reporting.

• Like x 1
  8. Draketurner

Draketurner Member

Correct. 1099-Misc will go to the owner of the property the unit is installed at

9. tbone586

tbone586 Member

Is this the Powerwall 2? do you have any technical info to provide? I was told by my installer I needed the latest version (PW2) due to the capacity of our main breaker box.

10. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

All the "Red" referral powerwalls are PW2. There were VERY VERY few original powerwalls built and sold. None of them were used for referrals.

11. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

How is $6K a deal for anyone eligible (so, assuming one will get, or already has, PVs) for FITC on a PW? Unless they really want a red one?

Buying this: $6K + 1099-MISC tax = ~$7K

Buying from Tesla: $7,600 + $2,500 installation - FITC = ~$7K

12. ab26

ab26 Member

I was assuming I would take the tax liability (my price has that baked in). Since it appears that the tax liability would be one installing at their property. I will revisit the pricing. Obviously, the goal is for someone to get a discount through my referral.

13. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

Just read another member's post that Tesla is just deducting $1K from installation costs through the referral. Specifically, he was being charged $2K (instead of normal cost of $3K) for installation. I haven't contacted Tesla myself about this specifically, so don't know whether that's true.

14. Energy Dreamer

Is PW3 a thing?

15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

What? No. Besides, the referral awards are for Founders Powerwall 2s.

That would be nice if we could do it that way and insulate the buyer from any tax liability. But that's not how it works, from the information we have so far.

Yes, the PW2 referral awards include $1000 installation credit.

16. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

Is this still available?