TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Red vs Blue

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by toothfixeralex, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
?

If you could only chose red or blue for your Model 3, which would you choose?

1. Red

43 vote(s)
    38.4%
  2. Blue

69 vote(s)
    61.6%
  1. toothfixeralex

No, not the excellent Halo inspired machinima, but rather car color.

I'm having the hardest time trying to decide between red or blue. I've seen both in person (on an X and S) and both look great. If Sig. Red were an option this wouldn't even be a question, sadly it's not.

While I'm not sure if the statistics of red car v. police are still showing they "love" red cars, that's still a thought. I like the look of both but was leaning toward blue. However, after seeing Teslanomics present the data from their Cost Estimator, it looks like blue is going to be one of the more popular choices of color. Part of what draws me to blue and red is that they're "different" from the average car (read: white, black, grey, sliver, dark silver/grey, etc)

What about here, what are you all thinking for your color?

I added a poll to this post. I'm interested in seeing what people would pick if they could only pick between red vs. blue. I get there are many more options to choose from and I get that this may not be what you're going to do on your own Model 3.

2. run-the-joules

I find the blue extremely disappointing (it's far too dark). If it were more like Audi's Ara Blue Crystal I'd be all over it.

[​IMG]

The red on the Model 3 looks nice but I can't see myself ever owning a red car.

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

It really depends on the lighting how dark the blue looks. Yes, the Ara Blue shown is much lighter, but it is also under tons of lighting. The Tesla blue is pretty close to the Audi Scuba Blue. As an Audi owner in that color, I much rather prefer the darker shade. The lighter blue doesn't seem to fit a sedan and looks better on more sporty looking coupes and sports cars. The darker blue seems more fitting and classy for sedan like the 3. Of course, just my opinion.

4. run-the-joules

Yup, very close to Scuba Blue. Way too dark for me, just not interested at all.

The Tesla blue only looks acceptable to me under very, very intense light. On an overcast day or in the evening it might as well be black. Ara Blue Crystal is still MUCH brighter in real-world conditions.

Honestly I find Tesla's entire color range to be very disappointing and I'm only getting Midnight Silver because I dislike it less than I dislike the other colors.

I've only had black, white and silver cars in the past but I've always wanted a good shade of blue, so spending $61k on a car I don't even like the color of is going to annoy the hell out of me but I'll get over it. Certainly not going to waste 10% of the cost of the car getting it wrapped…

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

I'm getting both, one in each color!

• Like x 1
  6. lux_cars

lux_cars Member

To my eye, the blue looks really classy. The red, not my thing unless it was some kind of special pearlescent red.

• Like x 1
  7. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

It was my quandary as well, but I want a car that differs from the herd of white/grey/black cars out there. Blending in to avoid cops or attention is not a concern of mine.

8. sooner

sooner Member

I have a blue silk metallic Jetta TDI, but I truly yearn for a Subaru blue, what they call 'WR Blue Pearl'.

I, too, am torn between red and blue. So it is a choice that I will probably not make until I place order.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

When blue is good it's very, very good. Wife prefers metallic blues as well.
    Really wanted blue for our cars, but color's not important enough to care much so our current cars aren't blue.
    It's more a "don't want" when it comes to colors.

10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I don't feel that way about the current Tesla blue. It definitely still looks blue on an overcast day. The original Tesla blue, definitely. That was way too dark for me and only really looked blue on totally sunny days.

• Like x 1
  11. run-the-joules

I'm exaggerating but the concept holds true. I want a blue car that is BRIGHT blue. Tesla just does a boring dark blue.

12. astrothad

astrothad Member

This has been my back-and-forth set of choices for a while now. I've had red cars before - sometimes because it's what was available, sometimes because I wanted a color that would stand out and be more visible to other drivers.

If I had to configure about 4 weeks ago, I would have picked red, but if I get the invite today, I'm picking blue.

Also, I'm drawn to these choices rather than strongly averse to others. Neither would be a difficult pill to swallow at this point.

13. KGTES

KGTES Member

I like these 2 colors the most as well. But, IMO, if you are going to go with aero wheels, the red looks a bit better with those than the blue.
    Since I will be sticking with the aeros, I would have to say Red.

• Like x 1
  14. Ervic

Ervic New Member

These are both on my short list, but I want a white interior. Not sure if the red will look like a candy cane if I go that route. Red definitely looks good with a black interior. White, silver, grey, and black look great with white interior. Blue probably does too, but I'll have to wait for pics to start popping up before I can say yea or nay.

15. graphix25

graphix25 -=electronboy=-

Saw a red in person and it looked really nice. I'm between silver and red myself. Have let to decide.
    DSCN0766.JPG

DSCN0767.JPG

16. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

I'm on the fence as well, I just did a google image search for 'blue model 3' then 'red model 3' and my initial < 1 second gut reaction is I prefer red. Perhaps that's the direction I'll go.

17. S3XY

S3XY Member

For me the choice was between Multi-coat Red, Deep Blue, and Midnight Silver. Over the weekend I drove up to the Oakville, ON Sales/Service Center so I could see them in person and make a decision. Drumroll please..... I decided on the Red. I just thought it looked really sharp on the Model S and I expect it will be the same with the Model 3. I still really like the other 2 colors but the red really stood out to me. Contributing factors to my choice: 1) my wife currently has a dark gray car so I didn't want "matching" cars and 2) my wife really liked the blue so I told her she can get her Model Y in blue. We also liked the Obsidian Black but it's not available for the 3 and likely won't be for the Y either.

18. toothfixeralex

I hate to ask this question and show my lack of understanding. But, why does Tesla highlight "Multi-coat" Red and White. I assume the other paints have more than a single coat, but perhaps not? What is so different about the white and red? Any "benefit" from being multi-coat?

19. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

RED is exclusively a Sports car color. Not for a sedan! Gray, white, silver are classy. Blue if you want to be different. I guess everyone wants to be different though lately :)

• Disagree x 2
  20. KGTES

KGTES Member

I have the same question as well. Are all the other paints NOT multiple coats? If so, that alone makes me want the red and white. I am assuming multiple coats will be more durable.