Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red/White PUP Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Red with White interior Performance Y with PUP today in Palm Beach, FL. Initial delivery appointment was set for yesterday, and that was only within my account (no text or call from Tesla). I called on Tuesday and they said it was overzealous and rescheduled me for Monday, but I woke up to a text this morning saying it was in early and I could get it this afternoon.

Build Quality: Build date on the car is 5/20, so it completed production after the shut down. Panel gaps, trim alignment, lights etc are all near (or close enough) to perfect that you wouldn’t pick them out against any production car. Interior is perfect, with the exception of some dirt on the drivers seat I’ve already scrubbed out and some clear greasy fingerprints on hte headliner. Paint is generally very good, but I do have a 2cm chip on the driver’s door edge, and a ‘glob' of clearcoat at the top of the left tailgate junction. Very minor and both I can probably fix myself with a polisher and touch-up paint,

Initial Impressions: This is my fourth family Tesla, beginning with a 2015 pre-owned model S85, adding an early production RWDLR Model 3 (my daily for the last 2+ years) and a January 2020 Model S long range that replaced the 2015. All that to say I know the vehicles and can compare having also driven an X a few times. My initial impression of the Y is that is the perfect culmination of all prior vehicles. Modern simplicity and minimalism of a 3, coupled with the roominess, practicality, refined drive, and solid feel of a new Model S.

My biggest concern ordering the Y was that I didn't want to spend a fortune for another Model 3. I love my 3 (now my daughter's car - spoiled at 18 years old), but if I was going to upgrade I wanted the 'feel', seating position, ease of entry/exit, and increased overall usefulness of a Crossover SUV. When unveiled the Y just looked like a model 3 'wagon'. Well, funny what some simple seat risers and an expanded 'greenhouse' can do! Sitting in the Y is every bit that crossover feel - and all without giving up the ridiculous acceleration and handling of a 3. A little more body roll to be sure, but equally as planted and quick...just a blast to drive,

Surprisingly quiet in my estimation compared to my early 3, but having been in newer 3's I think that's a result of overall improvements across both lines since the initial introduction of the 3. Steering weight on sport feels heavier than my early 3, which I like, and overall ride quality is comparable or better (granted on mostly flat and good condition FL roads) than the 3, and just a notch or two below the air suspension of the S.

Acceleration is terrific,but doesn't pull as hard off the line as the S...comes on mostly between 15 and 60mph. Still a blast and more than enough to laugh at the 'muscle cars' at a stop light.

Whtie interior is a refreshing change from my silver/black 3, definitely feels more premium. Would prefer there was a cargo shelf but that's about my only nitpick on the inside.

Next Steps: drove it today through the rain despite my intent to garage it and begin a paint correction, interior ceramic coat, exterior ceramic coat, and PPF for the front end. Guess I get to wash it tomorrow before locking it in the garage for a few days until I finish my part and can get it over to the Tint/Film shop. Installed the RPM Tesla matte center console covers (hard plastic). They were harder to align, don't fit great, make the middle door impossible to open, and generally disappoint. Keeping them on but definitely switching back to a wrap. Rain makes me want to order all weather mats, but not sure I like the look of 'rugged rubber' not overdone logos/branding. Need to think.

One small note is that I ordered (backordered so not received) RPM Tesla black Tesla emblems/badges for the fronts and rear, feeling like those should obviously be blacked out to match other trim. To my surprise, at least against red paint, the chrome logos fit in as they call out the accents of silver in the headlights and taillights.

That' about it for first Impressions, happy to answer any questions.

C2A16CD1-BEDB-4A63-948D-85A298610D4C.jpeg
09222058-878A-4E9C-BEBE-4CCCEE3D59BD.jpeg
7EBC4CB5-2309-44AE-AF27-E6F4B7941524.jpeg
8189A3D6-109A-451C-BD86-984AE1BEA5F6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats! your thoughts are similar to mine mainly driving our LR 3 and now the Y PUP.

i had same feelings regarding wanting to black out the Tesla license plate frame (matte black wrap or paint) then the badges, but now I see that on my blue Y, the bit of chrome does compliment the headlights and taillights, and black would make the car a little too aggressive
looking and probably cheapen it long term, and more importantly for me, shape other drivers’ attitudes to the car’s presence for the worse

Your Model Y looks incredible with those Uberturbines! I’m waiting for my MSM with PUP, albeit not very patiently. What are you going to do for winter tires? I keep asking the service center about options and they keep ignoring my question.

Your Model Y looks incredible with those Uberturbines! I’m waiting for my MSM with PUP, albeit not very patiently. What are you going to do for winter tires? I keep asking the service center about options and they keep ignoring my question.

No worried about ‘Winter Tires’ in Florida; pretty much summer all the time. So I’m rolling the UberTurbines at least until I get frustrated if they burn through too quickly.

Picked up my Red with White interior Performance Y with PUP today in Palm Beach, FL. Initial delivery appointment was set for yesterday, and that was only within my account (no text or call from Tesla). I called on Tuesday and they said it was overzealous and rescheduled me for Monday, but I woke up to a text this morning saying it was in early and I could get it this afternoon.

Build Quality: Build date on the car is 5/20, so it completed production after the shut down. Panel gaps, trim alignment, lights etc are all near (or close enough) to perfect that you wouldn’t pick them out against any production car. Interior is perfect, with the exception of some dirt on the drivers seat I’ve already scrubbed out and some clear greasy fingerprints on hte headliner. Paint is generally very good, but I do have a 2cm chip on the driver’s door edge, and a ‘glob' of clearcoat at the top of the left tailgate junction. Very minor and both I can probably fix myself with a polisher and touch-up paint,

Initial Impressions: This is my fourth family Tesla, beginning with a 2015 pre-owned model S85, adding an early production RWDLR Model 3 (my daily for the last 2+ years) and a January 2020 Model S long range that replaced the 2015. All that to say I know the vehicles and can compare having also driven an X a few times. My initial impression of the Y is that is the perfect culmination of all prior vehicles. Modern simplicity and minimalism of a 3, coupled with the roominess, practicality, refined drive, and solid feel of a new Model S.

My biggest concern ordering the Y was that I didn't want to spend a fortune for another Model 3. I love my 3 (now my daughter's car - spoiled at 18 years old), but if I was going to upgrade I wanted the 'feel', seating position, ease of entry/exit, and increased overall usefulness of a Crossover SUV. When unveiled the Y just looked like a model 3 'wagon'. Well, funny what some simple seat risers and an expanded 'greenhouse' can do! Sitting in the Y is every bit that crossover feel - and all without giving up the ridiculous acceleration and handling of a 3. A little more body roll to be sure, but equally as planted and quick...just a blast to drive,

Surprisingly quiet in my estimation compared to my early 3, but having been in newer 3's I think that's a result of overall improvements across both lines since the initial introduction of the 3. Steering weight on sport feels heavier than my early 3, which I like, and overall ride quality is comparable or better (granted on mostly flat and good condition FL roads) than the 3, and just a notch or two below the air suspension of the S.

Acceleration is terrific,but doesn't pull as hard off the line as the S...comes on mostly between 15 and 60mph. Still a blast and more than enough to laugh at the 'muscle cars' at a stop light.

Whtie interior is a refreshing change from my silver/black 3, definitely feels more premium. Would prefer there was a cargo shelf but that's about my only nitpick on the inside.

Next Steps: drove it today through the rain despite my intent to garage it and begin a paint correction, interior ceramic coat, exterior ceramic coat, and PPF for the front end. Guess I get to wash it tomorrow before locking it in the garage for a few days until I finish my part and can get it over to the Tint/Film shop. Installed the RPM Tesla matte center console covers (hard plastic). They were harder to align, don't fit great, make the middle door impossible to open, and generally disappoint. Keeping them on but definitely switching back to a wrap. Rain makes me want to order all weather mats, but not sure I like the look of 'rugged rubber' not overdone logos/branding. Need to think.

One small note is that I ordered (backordered so not received) RPM Tesla black Tesla emblems/badges for the fronts and rear, feeling like those should obviously be blacked out to match other trim. To my surprise, at least against red paint, the chrome logos fit in as they call out the accents of silver in the headlights and taillights.

That' about it for first Impressions, happy to answer any questions.

I’m sorry, but what is PUP? I have a MS & MX, but the abbreviations on this site often stump me.

Car looks great!! just one question........ Keep or de-badge the dual motor badge on the back?
5 min with dental floss and it comes right off.... its just foam double sided tape, so just rub with finger and the left over adhesive pills up then falls off easy!
(I did my model S and soooo glad I did... looks very clean! )

Sharp ride!

congrats! your thoughts are similar to mine mainly driving our LR 3 and now the Y PUP.

i had same feelings regarding wanting to black out the Tesla license plate frame (matte black wrap or paint) then the badges, but now I see that on my blue Y, the bit of chrome does compliment the headlights and taillights, and black would make the car a little too aggressive
looking and probably cheapen it long term, and more importantly for me, shape other drivers’ attitudes to the car’s presence for the worse
Youre kidding right? You actually think you'll offend other drivers by having the audacity to be bold enough to have a black license plate frame?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: pcmike