Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

reddish etched spots in paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See attached pictures... anyone know what these red spots in my paint might be? I know it's some kind of debris damage - I left my car uncovered for 3 weeks when I was back east for the holidays, and evidently something lives (and possibly craps!) in the bay area that I'm not used to seeing. I had a silver Acura for 10 years back in Raleigh NC and never saw anything like this. I had the car washed (but not thoroughly detailed) so I'm trying to figure out just how hard these are going to be to get rid of...

help???

IMG_6740.JPG
IMG_6741.JPG
IMG_6742.JPG

Did you park under a tree at all? Looks like some sort of berry fell on it and made the splash marks before rolling off.

An easy way to fix it is to soak a towel in a bucket with car wash mixed in, warm water is best. Take it out and lay it on the car in the area you are going to clean, leave it for a few minutes, then wipe as much as you can off from the same area. Repeat where you see other marks. Google two bucket car washing for the best results anytime you wash your car.

After you finish washing the car, take some more photos to see what should be done next. Good luck!

I would first wash and dry the car. I would then start with a cleaner wax. The cleaner waxes have a mild aggregate in them which is a micro polish ....there is chance that you can polish it out by using the cleaner wax. Additionally it will not be abrasive enough to leave swirl marks, just use a 100% new terrycloth towel and follow the directions. If that doesn't work, I would seek out the a TOP RATED detailer/paint expert/body shop and not Joe Smoe detailer in town at the car wash or dealer as you DON'T want just ANYbody throwing a buffer on your clearcoat or using an unnecessarily strong cleaner/polish than is necessary. Finding a knowledgable expert may even require you to possibly drive out of state.

Good-Luck!

I would think claybar would be wonderful for removing this type of stain. Might want to see if other more experienced detailers have a reason to suggest not to use this.
Clay bars are used pretty commonly for this type of contamination. Wash very thoroughly, getting as much off as possible. Get the surface super slick with your spray-on detailer of choice and carefully rub with the clay bar. Fold the bar extremely frequently with contamination this heavy. I'm sure that brown stuff will come off, no problem. Whether it will leave permanent water-spot-like etching, not as sure.

Are the spots sticky? Is it sap? That would be the one case where I wouldn't use a clay bar.

If you're hesitant about tinkering yourself, get to a detailer ASAP. The longer you wait, the higher the chance of permanent damage. As Linkster says, be careful to find someone who knows what they're doing.

Honestly I'm not sure what it is... when I got home I was so disgusted by the appearance that I just took it to the local car wash, I assumed at the time that it was just "normal" dirt and would come right off with just a decent hand washing. Clearly that wasn't the case. So I'm hoping that the wash didn't "set" any of the damage. I *think* that it's just a dried surface stain and not something that actually etched the paint. Unfortunately I'm out here playing the "have fun with a startup" game, so I have far less time than I'm used to from my previous job to deal with stuff like this.

I'm living in Palo Alto - have to imagine there are multiple decent detailers around here, right? Suggestions?

Sigh. I'm not looking forward to having to (un)cover my baby every single time I park in my own (albeit rented) driveway ;-(

Joe at Orinda Auto is fantastic. I'd get it up there if you can, but it's a bit of a drive. He sees tons of Teslas and should be able to advise you, though I don't know how busy he is these days. He can usually work out some kind of rental you can pick up, though it's nowhere near as nice as the car you'd be dropping off. Their business hours include Saturdays, so could be worth a call.

Alternatively, I have everything you'd need. I have family in town this weekend, but would be happy to take 30 minutes or so to test if a clay bar would work and show you how to do it. Then you'd at least know before you buy some stuff that might not even work. I'm just a few minutes south of you.

PM me if you're interested. I have Joe's email address as well, but this is his website: Orinda Auto Detail | Opti Coat Pro

@Gizmotoy - thanks in no small part to you, it appears we're all good. It took a couple of hours and lots and lots of elbow grease, but as far as I can tell it was just a particularly stubborn surface stain.

Random fun fact: I also learned in the process that the Autozone in East Palo Alto is not used to seeing Teslas in the parking lot. I'm sure the locals will have a bit of fun with that. ;-)

I have used Joe at OCDetailing and he is awesome. I had a complete wheels off polish done and could not be happier. FWIW, I would never use a cleaner polish. Way too abrasive. Even if they claim not to not be, they still are. Start slow and gentle with clay and move up slowly. Check out AmmoNYC.com for some truly great eductional videos on cleaning/restoring a finish. Larry is amazing.