TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Redesign for the Model S - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by dspwhite, Dec 23, 2013.

1. dspwhite

dspwhite Member

I posted this originally in the TeslaMotors subreddit on Reddit, but I'd love to see what you guys think too.

I love the shape of the Model S, but think the front is a little long, so I photoshopped it to make it shorter.
    I'm hoping this will be more like the shape of the upcoming Model E. What do you guys think?
    http://i.imgur.com/H1MdflX.jpg
    (top = original, bottom = my redesign)

2. passion4audio

passion4audio member

I actually prefer the current look with the longer nose. Maybe this is just me, but the shorter nose makes the "flow" of the car seem unbalanced.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, and the shorter nose may also compromise front impact performance in the event of an accident.

4. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Nevermind the impact of a shorter nose to safety (I'm sure it can be made reasonably strong), the overall looks pretty good except for the rear door -- making that an even sharper angle will cause further issues with ingress/egress from back seat.

The redesign will need to put the back wheels a little further back and remove the rear facing seat option. Then the rear door and B pillar can be placed better.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It's not so much strength but, as Elon puts it "a force over distance problem". The more crumple zone you have the lower the forces are to the vehicle occupants in a head-on crash.

6. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@dspwhite

I like your redesign but I would like it for the Model E. For me the Model S is ok like it is now.

7. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Too similar to the Model S for this to even be considered for Gen3/Model E.

8. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I was refering to the size not to the shape of the redesign.

9. aronth5

Too long and without seeing it from a different angle probably too wide as well. I just don't have any interest on a smaller clone of the Model S.

10. Tasdevil

Tasdevil Member

I would like to see the exact same battery pack dimensions from the model s in the model e.
    and for tesla engineers to make the model e as small as they can with that size battery, the boot and frunk can be shrunk quite easy even if the length between front and rear wheels stay the same then can reduce the overhang. Similar to bmw3 v bmw5 series.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I like my turn signal triangles....

12. aronth5

Your forgetting Gen3/E also will be narrower which affects battery placement and capacity.

13. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Hopefully by the time Gen3/E will be ready there will be a new battery technology and the size of the car will not affect anymore the range. See this thread:

Startup cuts lithium-ion costs and improves energy density

14. Reykjavik

Reykjavik Member

2/3s of a frunk is more than even the safest ICE cars, and they get 5 stars in front crash scenarios. I think you could pull some space out there and still be very resilient in crashes. Probably more will come out of the back though.

I agree on the aesthetics, the front is just a little long and low for my tastes, but it is a minor quibble on an overall sexy car.

15. aronth5

To quote from the article:
    "The first application of the technology will likely be in portable electronics, says cofounder and chief technology officer Qichao Hu. Electric vehicle batteries take longer to develop, in part because they need to last a decade"
    This is a clear indicator that even if this technology actually makes it to market it will still be several years before it could make it into a Tesla car. Perhaps ready for Gen4 but not Gen3.

16. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

You are right but in this article mentioning the same technology battery developed by another Company no difference is done between batteries for portable electronics and vehicles.

High-capacity Film-type Lithium-ion Battery Developed Using Coating Process|About SEKISUI |SEKISUI CHEMICAL CO.,LTD