Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redesign? New frunk, headlights and power trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One final note. That's good news for those who get their cars after the upgrades but it can be a bad news for those who got the "inferior" car days or weeks before without knowing it was coming and some would have prefer to wait for the new version. Doesn't change anything for me since it has been a couple of months but for those having their car now, I would have like to know and maybe get a discount for the "old model" or wait...

Totally

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Also, not sure if/when it will happen, but there are rumors that the SR+ will disapear in favor of LR RWD. If the price stays the same(or minor increase), this would be major.
The Model S experienced this for many years. There were a few changes that occurred:

1. Remove the lowest range model, initially the 40 kWh battery (software limited 60), then change the official 60 kWh with a 75 but software lock, then remove the 60, and so on... prices improved too.
2. This simplified production a little bit with fewer battery pack configurations.
3. This also increased range over time.
4. The higher end models would get a price cut, but not enough to come down to the previous base model's price.

My guess? SR+ is removed and now "All Teslas are long range with 300+ miles of range by default." The base price can move up from $38k to $40k, allowing Tesla to increase the battery size of the lowest trim Model 3 with RWD only. Tesla has many options to adjust pricing that will depend more on their technological improvements, which hint towards a modest energy density increase of 3-5% based on Panasonic information. If that's "all" it is, which I somehow doubt (though new tech could be limited to the S/X) given that it is called "battery day," then this relies on Tesla increasing cell count to reach this range. (I mention this variable, because it influences what Tesla can do with other trims of the 3)

If the Model 3's range is bumped up, I expect they'll still want to offer a higher trim such as a LR+ model found in the Model S lineup. Maybe this will increase the range to the 350+ miles, but I'm far less confident on this due to technological assumptions.

Beyond the range/pricing structure, I hope to see them announce details on the heat pump and its inclusion across the lineup. The biggest benefits will be if they show its impact based on ambient temperature and/or driving speed. The ambient temperature impact is well known, but still could deserve a proper unveiling to showcase cold weather benefits. I'm more curious about the impact of driving speed. Because a car creates drag in motion, and more at higher speeds, does efficiency improve with road speed from an HVAC perspective? Are they able to utilize heat in the battery pack for more cabin comfort? Can they preheat the battery pack more effectively for winter driving conditions and as a "store of heat"?

Sorry for my random post - I have a view on the SR+ getting modified (higher range). My weaker views involve the technological changes they'll announce and details around the heat pump.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and yepeekai
What I like is that every rumored item is an enhancement i would want instead of the cost-cutting feature removal that has happened over the last year or so.

I would pay for some of these features if they were available for retrofit so new owners come out on top but for sure more evolution rather than revolution

• Disagree
Reactions: byeLT4 and cdswm3
Please, i'm close to put an order on a LR, an info like that will make me stop the order.
In the article there's no mention of such a thing, where this come from?
I was about to click the "Order" button last night before I saw the news. Then I decided to first make sure that I will be receiving the refreshed version of my M3 LR, so I spoke with my Tesla rep and he is going to check the ETA for me today. If you can I would appreciate a cross-check with your rep as well. Thanks!

Reactions: EV Promoter
I noticed there is a pattern with S/X where changes are introduced in one and usually make it into the other after some time. I never followed these changes as closely, but how long did it take for certain things flow to the other models?

With the Model 3 likely inheriting some of the changes/upgrades from the Model Y (black trim, heat pump, power trunk lift) 6-7 months after being introduced in the MY, do we expect the additional rumored changes (dark headliner, console redesign, possible screen change, etc.) to make it back to the MY as well?

I was about to click the "Order" button last night before I saw the news. Then I decided to first make sure that I will be receiving the refreshed version of my M3 LR, so I spoke with my Tesla rep and he is going to check the ETA for me today. If you can I would appreciate a cross-check with your rep as well. Thanks!

Ok I am very confused I already ordered yesterday and I want to know If I will receive a refreshed version or not. How do I contact my salesperson because I ordered bymself at home, and will delaying my delivery that is approximated for late November early December allow me to maybe get a refresh? Also let me know if your sales rep tells you that you will receive a new refresh model

Ok I am very confused I already ordered yesterday and I want to know If I will receive a refreshed version or not. How do I contact my salesperson because I ordered bymself at home, and will delaying my delivery that is approximated for late November early December allow me to maybe get a refresh? Also let me know if your sales rep tells you that you will receive a new refresh model
Can't you wait until they send you your VIN and then check to see if it has a 2021 number? I am assuming that this will be the indication that it has the updates. I was sent a VIN 2 weeks ago and I rejected it and said that I wanted to wait until December and that wasn't a problem, they just made a note to assign me a car closer to then.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
i wonder if we (v1 M3 owners) will see an upgrade option in the app for some of these new options? Would be nice if we could hit an upgrade button in the app and have mobile service show up a few weeks later to install the new parts!
Nearly impossible. There’s too many components involved for them to consider it. The cost would be more than trading in the car unfortunately.

1CC9D7F4-399A-4B02-8548-78D6657DB39A.jpeg
New console design confirmed

Guys, how about we try to contact our salespeople at Tesla and cross-check the ETA for the delivery of the new M3 version?
I was about to place an order tonight and I just saw this news :)

Today I saw about 5 car haulers on the I5 traveling from Fremont to Los Angeles all hauling model 3 with black trim.
One thing I was surprised to see is that they all had a small black rectangular license plate bracket bolted to the center of the front bumper. This means that if you want to remove it there will be bolt holes in the center of the front bumper.

I would be very surprised if a change like chrome delete was introduced before showing it on the website. It is very visible and would not be good to show you ordering a chrome car and then deliver something else. The other things could be snuck in though since they don't deviate from what is advertised during the ordering process.

Reactions: Lobstahz