Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redesign? New frunk, headlights and power trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the frunk piece is just cost cutting by sharing another (newer, easier to make) part with the Y...see also the center console in the 3 changing to use the same one as the Y.

I'd be a lot more surprised if it's hiding a heat pump as that'd require much more significant engineering changes to the 3.
I’m not sure why people remark about the Y heat pump as being a breakthrough, or somehow requiring a significant engineerIng change to utilize a reversing valve in the 3 like they use in the Y. A typical auto AC system is a heat pump and the 3/Y basic difference is the Y uses a reversing valve while the 3 uses electric resistance heat. A heat pump produces heat by running the system in reverse pumping the heat into the cabin instead of exhausting the heat when reversing the liquid/gas flow. Here is a video showing the basic function. It would be very surprising if Tesla doesn’t eventually change all the vehicles over after exhausting older parts inventory. The Tesla reversing valve is called an Octovalve and it reverses ac refrigerant flow in the climate control system and the battery/motor cooling system
Reversing valve operation

Last edited:
I’m not sure why people remark about the Y heat pump as being a breakthrough, or somehow requiring a significant engineerIng change to utilize a reversing valve in the 3 like they use in the Y.

Replacing the frunk mold is literally just swapping one molded part for another, in roughly the same place such a part already exists.

Adding a heatpump requires changing the plumbing/routing of the cars cooling system and making room for the pump itself.

Neither is rocket surgery but one is obviously more work and a greater manufacturing change than the other.

Reactions: cdswm3
I suspect the frunk piece is just cost cutting by sharing another (newer, easier to make) part with the Y...see also the center console in the 3 changing to use the same one as the Y.

I'd be a lot more surprised if it's hiding a heat pump as that'd require much more significant engineering changes to the 3.
Not sure that makes sense, @Knightshade . They can't share the same part as the Y's is deeper. So a more likely reason to change the liner, I would think, is because otherwise a 3 couldn't fit a hear pump behind it. Pictures would confirm.

Replacing the frunk mold is literally just swapping one molded part for another, in roughly the same place such a part already exists.

Adding a heatpump requires changing the plumbing/routing of the cars cooling system and making room for the pump itself.

Neither is rocket surgery but one is obviously more work and a greater manufacturing change than the other.
Do you understand what a heat pump is? It’s not a big deal if you don’t because most people seem to think it is something different from what has been used for years in cars but it is virtually the same. That is why I posted video links. A heat pump is nothing new and is the same as an a/c compressor but with the addition of a reversing valve which is what Tesla calls the Octovalve to control the direction and routing of refrigerant. Heat pumps are not good at producing heat at cooler temperatures but because the drivetrain and battery already produce heat that makes up for the lack of heat in the air and makes it functional in an EV. The new redesigned compressor on the Y is noisier than the older compressor they were using on the 3 so they have added the sound insulation. It is very likely they will add the newer valving to the 3 to boost efficiency in colder climates and help sales. ICE cars don’t need heat pumps for cold weather because they already produce excess free heat that goes to waste through the radiator.

Last edited:
Do you understand what a heat pump is? It’s not a big deal if you don’t because most people seem to think it is something different from what has been used for years in cars but it is virtually the same. That is why I posted video links. A heat pump is nothing new and is the same as an a/c compressor but with the addition of a reversing valve which is what Tesla calls the Octovalve to control the direction and routing of refrigerant. Heat pumps are not good at producing heat at cooler temperatures but because the drivetrain and battery already produce heat that makes up for the lack of heat in the air and makes it functional in an EV. The new redesigned compressor on the Y is noisier than the older compressor they were using on the 3 so they have added the sound insulation. It is very likely they will add the newer valving to the 3 to boost efficiency in colder climates and help sales. ICE cars don’t need heat pumps for cold weather because they already produce excess free heat that goes to waste through the radiator.

This.

The heat pump IS the AC compressor.

The difference is in cooling mode, the coils inside your dash is the evaporator (cooling your car)... while in heating mode, those same coils become the condenser.

It’s no different. Research the refrigeration cycle. The difference is just a reversing valve.

The heat source (what the car is “cooling” during heating mode is the batteries). Same concept as water source heat pumps in many applications. The reason it isn’t as effective in residential applications is due to the lack of heat source (the outdoors is already cold).

Reactions: Sunshine State