Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redesign? New frunk, headlights and power trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks,
But we need someone willing to remove the cover and take some pics so we can see if you have the A/C compressor or a heat pump.
I’m a bit timid about removing the cover since the car is so new and I don’t quite know what I’m doing. But, I have a mobile appointment on Sep. 3rd to install the garage door opener. Perhaps the tech will take it apart then for me to take some photos.

Reactions: PNWLeccy and srk67
I’m a bit timid about removing the cover since the car is so new and I don’t quite know what I’m doing. But, I have a mobile appointment on Sep. 3rd to install the garage door opener. Perhaps the tech will take it apart then for me to take some photos.

Can you make a picture of the hidden cargo space under the floor? They will change this also sooner as I understood. Simular to the Y

Do you understand what a heat pump is? It’s not a big deal if you don’t because most people seem to think it is something different from what has been used for years in cars but it is virtually the same.

I think you are misunderstanding my point.

Changing the mold for the frunk piece is one, simple, change- if the holes line up, you're done. Even installs the same way as the old piece.

Changing to a heat pump requires changing several other things in the car from both a parts, and manufacturing perspective.

It's not hard, it doesn't require inventing new technology or anything, but it's more work than just the frunk bit from both an engineering and manufacturing and parts perspective.

For example you'd no longer be using the same electric heater to provide most of your heat- so you'd need to change that and no longer be installing the same thing in the car.

In fact, we know tesla plans to do that
Source:
Loss of Tesla contract behind closure of factory, unions told

Which means your wiring harness also needs some changes.

For another, the mounting case, and type, of the Y heat pump is quite different from the 3... (one of the causes of the noise complaints on the Y- also the Y unit is designed to allow movement on the mount- the 3 mount is not so another engineering change).

Tesla tends to introduce parts changes as soon as they're ready.

Simply frunk base change is ready today- but the heat pump change (that requires several other changes elsewhere in the car) is NOT ready yet due to parts suppliers or whatever ready? Roll the frunk change today. Heat pump later.

Anyway- as of today there's still no heat pump in the 3 parts catalog (and indeed looking at the 3 vs Y cooling/heating systems it's obvious there's a number of minor differences they'd all need to change on the 3 if, as makes the most sense, they're trying to move to using the same parts on both cars as much as possible).

Not because heat pumps are black magic- but because it's not just literally a drop-in for the existing compressor- it requires other changes to parts on the car (beyond just the frunk base)

It's absolutely coming. It's just not likely it's here as quick as the frunk change. Especially since the plant that makes the current 3 heater isn't shutting down till next year.

(and I could be 100% wrong and Tesla is just crap about keeping the parts catalog up to date and somehow nobody with a recent delivery has checked their physical car of course- but it's weird the 3 heater plant would not be shutting down till March 2021 if they've already swapped to heat pumps in June/July of 2020)

(and I could be 100% wrong and Tesla is just crap about keeping the parts catalog up to date and somehow nobody with a recent delivery has checked their physical car of course- but it's weird the 3 heater plant would not be shutting down till March 2021 if they've already swapped to heat pumps in June/July of 2020)
Thanks for spelling out so much of this. My understanding was that the Model 3 only generated heat from the electric motors, and not an external heating device like the Model S and X have. Is that your understanding too? And if it is, does that example of the contract loss for the air heater apply to the 3, or more for the S and X?

I agree there are many changes needed to accommodate the 3's design for the heat pump and so it's not that easy, especially because they made so many changes to the Y's setup in the months following release per Sandy Munro.

Thanks for spelling out so much of this. My understanding was that the Model 3 only generated heat from the electric motors, and not an external heating device like the Model S and X have. Is that your understanding too? And if it is, does that example of the contract loss for the air heater apply to the 3, or more for the S and X?

I agree there are many changes needed to accommodate the 3's design for the heat pump and so it's not that easy, especially because they made so many changes to the Y's setup in the months following release per Sandy Munro.
The Model 3 has a resistive cabin heater. It uses the electric motors to heat the battery pack. It doesn’t have a separate battery heater like S and X.

• Informative
Reactions: sightman

The 3 has a dedicated resistance heater AFAIK

From parts catalog-heater core category

PTC heater Dual Zone M3 1088218-00-I

HVAC, PTC SERVICE ASSY, M3 1107677-00-A