Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redesign? New frunk, headlights and power trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please, i'm close to put an order on a LR, an info like that will make me stop the order.
In the article there's no mention of such a thing, where this come from?
This is based on the fact that the planned standard range model Y has been cancelled due to, according to Elon, unacceptably low range @ < 250mi. He mentioned that 300mi is the standard now and with the upcoming release of a long range rwd model for Model Y and the reintroduction of the LR RWD Model 3 in China, I believe they will move towards removing SR+ or making it an off-menu option.

However, I have not seen any indication of a possible timeline except for the Model Y so I wouldn’t plan around if you need a new car in the near term.

For ref: Tesla cancels cheapest Model Y, Elon Musk says range would be too low - Electrek

Please, i'm close to put an order on a LR, an info like that will make me stop the order.
In the article there's no mention of such a thing, where this come from?
Removal of SR+ is possible. In the last quarterly call, Elon dropped a hint about the minimum range for an EV should be 300 miles. This routine of increasing range across a lineup has occurred for years with the Model S and could occur here too. If you're about to order, I'd wait for battery day at this point, it's two weeks away.

Tesla Model 3 poised for power liftgate, center console upgrade, new 'frunk,' and more

Possibly more changes than first thought are coming.

New on the list:
  • New steering wheel
  • Center console 2.0
  • double layer glass for better noise isolation(!)
I have no idea what these could be as I haven’t seen any pictures or other details but any noise improvements from the glass would address one of my biggest annoyances with the car!

Reactions: adys123 and RoBoRaT
So for the heck of it, I kicked on the heat from the app and the car was making an awful lot of noise for just a resistance heater. Can anyone confirm, is this what the Tesla heat pump sounds like?

From the sound of it, it is definitely the compressor you are earing. A resistive eater doesn't make any sound. So, I would guess that you are lucky and have the heat pump upgrade...

• Disagree
Reactions: todd2fst4u
A little short on details and proof, but...“A source familiar with the matter told Tesmanian exclusively that several Model 3s with a heat pump and octovalve are already in Tilburg. All cars were produced at the Fremont factory.”

If true, it means that they are capable of producing them for a while (shipping from fremont to Tilburg must take a couple of weeks at least)

Not gonna lie I'm feeling a bit of FOMO for having a Model 3 without the fancy heat pump, and more importantly, any upgrades to deal with cabin noise.

But at the same time, I wouldn't want Tesla to hold back any upgrades and go with the old yearly upgrade system. Hearing various upgrades and improvements every few months is undoubtedly enjoyable in its own way.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Not gonna lie I'm feeling a bit of FOMO for having a Model 3 without the fancy heat pump, and more importantly, any upgrades to deal with cabin noise.

But at the same time, I wouldn't want Tesla to hold back any upgrades and go with the old yearly upgrade system. Hearing various upgrades and improvements every few months is undoubtedly enjoyable in its own way.
Each of these upgrades in marginal for most people compared to the early improvements where Tesla owners would stop at campgrounds to charge at high power, because there wasn't such a large supercharger network. I think the minor changes now are just that, minor. I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the great car you have. It's easy for the top 1% of cars to compete against each other... but the reality is they're still very far ahead of others.

And finally - who knows? The first batch of heat pumps in the Model 3 will have their own quirks. Consider yourself lucky to have a more matured design.

Each of these upgrades in marginal for most people compared to the early improvements where Tesla owners would stop at campgrounds to charge at high power, because there wasn't such a large supercharger network. I think the minor changes now are just that, minor. I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the great car you have. It's easy for the top 1% of cars to compete against each other... but the reality is they're still very far ahead of others.

And finally - who knows? The first batch of heat pumps in the Model 3 will have their own quirks. Consider yourself lucky to have a more matured design.

Exactly. I’ve been working my trunk manually my whole life. Not gonna hold out for that. I’m sure the next steering wheel will be round...ish. Fine. Redesigned headlights...ok. Not gonna make or break the sale. Are all these very nice? Sure.

I am eager to get real world data about the difference it makes having the heat pump (for my region anyway). Depending on the data, I'd say that's probably the main thing I would have like to get among all those updates...

And I would say that the heat pump + all other "minor" upgrades makes it an overall major update.

One final note. That's good news for those who get their cars after the upgrades but it can be a bad news for those who got the "inferior" car days or weeks before without knowing it was coming and some would have prefer to wait for the new version. Doesn't change anything for me since it has been a couple of months but for those having their car now, I would have like to know and maybe get a discount for the "old model" or wait...