TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Reduced Amperage Setting for Charger

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by BruceR61, Aug 2, 2017.

1. BruceR61

BruceR61 Member

I've had my MS 75 since March 18. I have a NEMA 14-50 with the charger that came with the car. It has always used 40A. I noticed yesterday it took a longer time to charge overnight. This morning I noticed that the setting or my charger at been reduced from 40A To 30A. Curious if the last software update did that without my noticing? If your car has been charging slow you might want to check this out.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No, it means the car detected an anomaly with your power. If it happens routinely you need to get it checked out. Search "40A charging reduced to 30A" for dozens of posts on this topic.

• Informative x 1
  3. BruceR61

BruceR61 Member

Thanks. I will check out the other topics (and potentially clean the charge port and connector).

4. Pbaker

Pbaker Member

Check the connections on the outlet, make sure they are tight!

WITH THE POWER TURNED OFF!!

5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Check for heat while charging. Outlet, breaker, cord.

You can set it back to 40+ manually and see if it drops again. Possibly low voltage in the neighborhood.

6. BruceR61

BruceR61 Member

Seems ok now. I will clean the connection but it worked at 40A last night.

7. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

This happens to me periodically, in fact it happened today. As others have noted, I just adjust the amperage back to 40 and its ok. I'm pretty sure it's power spikes. When I got up today, I noticed the power had gone off at 6:08a (clocks on ovens were flashing). Because this continues to happen, I am going to talk to my electrician about putting something on the circuit to potentially stop this. I can think of a couple of options but we'll see what they say.