Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced Battery charge limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, first post on this site. I have a model Y, less than a year old with 10k miles. The charge limit has changed on the car. When I purchased the car, when set to maximum, the max charge was 326mi (or very close to that). Now the Max is 305. It is not that I am getting a warning or notice that I cannot charge to max at 305, but even on my phone, with the max charge set all the way to the right, it is now 305. I live in Portland, Oregon and while it is getting colder, it temperature change has not been drastic. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks in advance.

'typical' 'degradation' or calibration/ balance potentially
my 2 yr 20k mi model 3 shows 280 @100%. 325 or 310 new depending on firmware (my 8 yr old S w/ 98k miles looks better - 242 /265 but the batteries are definitely older and seems more sensitive to temperatures wrt charge rates, completely different temp control and chemistry though)

Hello, first post on this site. I have a model Y, less than a year old with 10k miles. The charge limit has changed on the car. When I purchased the car, when set to maximum, the max charge was 326mi (or very close to that). Now the Max is 305. It is not that I am getting a warning or notice that I cannot charge to max at 305, but even on my phone, with the max charge set all the way to the right, it is now 305. I live in Portland, Oregon and while it is getting colder, it temperature change has not been drastic. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks in advance.
I have The same problem but am now down to 295. Did you have any luck finding a reason why?

You should only charge to 100% if you need to do so just before leaving on a road trip. For daily driving you can charge up to 90% but should not regularly charge to 100%. That is why the Tesla Model Y displayed a warning. The 90% threshold is indicated on the Charging screen and on the Tesla app as the line at the right of the charge status bar. Some prefer to only charge to 80% daily. Depending on how many miles you typically drive each day, i.e. for your weekday commute you can set the charge limit between 60% and 90% for the best long term health of the Tesla vehicle's battery.