Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Reduced braking performance detected" warning message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Model S Performance w/ 19" wheels. Original Michelin SP4 tires with at least half tread. I can induce a brake system warning message on the instrument cluster any time I want if I brake hard enough (with cold brakes or after deliberately warming them up a little). "Reduced braking performance detected. Press brake pedal firmly to stop." The car does stop but the pedal is soft, it doesn't feel like the ABS has been activated, and my perception is that the car does not decelerate as hard as it used to. Tesla service won't tell me if this is a standard "notice" that the ABS has been activated or a fault. I can't find mention of this specific warning in the owner's manual. A forum search didn't turn it up. Anyone have any experience with this?

No, but get the car serviced. You don’t want to mess around with brakes.
Duh. (Sorry, sarcasm was genetically encoded). Booked a service appointment but even though they contacted me about it I get no information as to whether it's a legit fault or the car just letting me know ABS was necessary and activated. Thought maybe a forum member had dealt with this.