Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced charging amps on J1772/Chargepoint EVSE's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am convinced that it is Tesla's simplistic software that is often the problem. Three phase installations with a long feed cable often start out at 199-201V. Hotel Morgane (sp?) in Boucherville and Hotel Sepia's 90A units in Quebec City are two examples. I often am hit with charge restrictions when the voltge drops only 2-3 volts. I have discussed this with Tesla and their response is, essentially, tough luck.

@brkaus I'm sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We take support concerns seriously, and although it is accurate that we don't own the stations on our network, we do try our best to help station owners troubleshoot and fix issues. Can you send me a private message here with your email address? I'd like to escalate your feedback to the support manager for additional investigation.

Thank you. Your probably correct that it is the station owners. It's also the end users that abuse them. I'll send you my email.

Here is one that hasn't worked in forever -

PLUGNEVERYWHERE PUBHILL.CGAL1

One with broken latch -

WHOLE FOODS MKT WHOLEFOODSCAVE1

This one dropped to 22A after a few minutes, then 12A sometime later. And the plug holster was broken-

ENDEAVOR REG BLUE GARAGE #3

On the positive side, this next one was a life saver for a trip! It still dropped to 22A though.

PALO ALTO EV 01

Some of it is Tesla being conservative of course. But they have no way of telling if a voltage drop is caused by 1000 ft of wire, in which case the resistance and thus the heat is distributed, or a bad splice connection. So I do see their point.

At minimum, they should try to increase current after a while. It would rule out other loads causing problem and coming back to a surprise low battery.