Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced charging current after FW upgrade V5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is going in for service on May 6th and I asked them if the fix for the 32A charging was available yet: No

There is no ETA yet, so we just have to wait until this gets restored. The lady on the phone couldn't tell me if it required a hardware fix. Although I think it will require a hardware fix.

My car is going in for service on May 6th and I asked them if the fix for the 32A charging was available yet: No

There is no ETA yet, so we just have to wait until this gets restored. The lady on the phone couldn't tell me if it required a hardware fix. Although I think it will require a hardware fix.

Duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh
Very disappointing, have a long trip in one month to western France, that will have to be done without the full charging capacity, nor the CHAdeMO adapter, and most probably with no SC...

Duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh
Very disappointing, have a long trip in one month to western France, that will have to be done without the full charging capacity, nor the CHAdeMO adapter, and most probably with no SC...
I'm beginning to loose my patience about this to be honest.

Tesla never officially communicated about it to it's customers and we're still waiting. The ETA keeps getting pushed back.

It's not like the CHAdeMO adapter, we haven't bought that yet. I bought my car with 22kW charging capabilities which is 18kW at the moment.

I really do need 22kW charging. I regularly get home with a fairly empty car and have to leave 2 hours later again for a drive.

You know that "soon" for Tesla can mean anything between one month and one year...
I called Tilburg today to ask about this again and the lady told me: "I have to be honest, don't expect a fix before the summer"

I told here that I was pretty upset with Tesla about this. Very politely I explained that they never officially told us they limited our cars:
* Not in the release notes
* Not via a letter to us as customers

They are also still selling Model S with 16/32A charging capabilities.

She agreed with me and promised me she would go to her supervisors again to explain the situation. She also told me that I wasn't the only one calling about this.

I just want a statement from Tesla telling me why we are limited and when they are going to fix it. If the fix takes another 6 months, so be it.

Last edited:
I know of 2 German Model S owners that can charge at full 32A / 22kW. There was legal action involved to accomplish this :crying:
That's really odd..

I suspect they won't just set the limit back to 32A if something is really broken inside the car. So those users must have gotten the hardware fix already.

In the meantime Tesla contacted me. They are working on a fix really hard they told me.

Nothing odd there. Tesla installed the very first samples of the upgraded hardware in their cars. "Tesla working really hard" seems to be a supply issue, with Tesla changing the supplier recently, trying to get them to ramp up. Cars delivered lately still have the "old" hardware and are software limited in charge current. :frown:

Any idea what is exactly the hardware problem ? It seems to come from the High voltage junction box, too small wire section ? I don't see any good another reason to limit the current to 13A per phase instead of 16A. Because in a wire or contact relay at a given resistance, 13A is just 3A below 16A, but it's 44% less heat dissipation.

Any idea what is exactly the hardware problem ? It seems to come from the High voltage junction box, too small wire section ? I don't see any good another reason to limit the current to 13A per phase instead of 16A. Because in a wire or contact relay at a given resistance, 13A is just 3A below 16A, but it's 44% less heat dissipation.
Probably a wire/bridge which isn't suited for the current.

Software-wise they might had to go to 13A per phase due to the design. Who knows? Only Tesla I guess.

I heard that the fix is a matter of "days", not "weeks". That seems to suggest that VolkerP is right and it's a supply issue.

posted pictures after the 32 amps upgrade on the teslamotors forum (Italian model S in Italy, a few impressions and suggestions thread).
It's a hardware change and a software tweak. they also changed the display, although it was working perfectly fine (??)

posted pictures after the 32 amps upgrade on the teslamotors forum (Italian model S in Italy, a few impressions and suggestions thread).
It's a hardware change and a software tweak. they also changed the display, although it was working perfectly fine (??)

How did you get that upgrade done on your car???
A lot of us here have been bugging Tesla people for a while to get full charging capacity back.

I need to go the French alps and then to Tuscany this summer, that would be very useful to me ;-)

That's really odd..

I suspect they won't just set the limit back to 32A if something is really broken inside the car. So those users must have gotten the hardware fix already.

In the meantime Tesla contacted me. They are working on a fix really hard they told me.

I amloosing my patience as well. I have not been contacing Tesla about this frequently, but after six months one would expect some formal ntofication. I am thinking of sending them a formal notice that this is a warranty claim which needs to be set straight ASAP.

I amloosing my patience as well. I have not been contacing Tesla about this frequently, but after six months one would expect some formal ntofication. I am thinking of sending them a formal notice that this is a warranty claim which needs to be set straight ASAP.
So it seems like the first fixes have been done:

View attachment 49344

In Milaan, Italy someone got his car fixed and he can charge at 32A 3-phase again.

Since the "genie is out of the bottle" I'm posting my picture here as well.

NOTE: Do not start calling your service centers! The parts are in backorder and it will take some time before they are available!

Tesla contacted me and another owner/forummember earlier this week if we wanted to have our cars "fixed". We are the first two cars in the Netherlands to charge at full current again. He (other owner) at 16A with his single charger and I at 32A with my dual chargers.

model-s-app-32A.jpg

I just tested my car at a 22kW / 32A Type 2 station and it works as expected. It 'hung' at 26A for about 10 seconds, but then climbed towards 32A.

Again, the parts are NOT available at this time and it's unknown when they will be. But Tesla was able to fix the issue and it should be just a matter of time before the parts are available at the Service Centers.

The fix takes about 2 hours per car and it's really a hardware fix. So if everybody starts calling the Service Centers right now they'll be overloaded with work. Imagine all the cars in Europe going back to a SC at the same time.

... Tesla contacted me and another owner/forummember earlier this week if we wanted to have our cars "fixed". We are the first two cars in the Netherlands to charge at full current again. He (other owner) at 16A with his single charger and I at 32A with my dual chargers....
So that would be me! I am very happy to be charging at 3x16A again! It works flawlessly, seems to take a bit longer to build up than it used to, and because I charged at 3x13A at so many locations I will need to remind myself to manually increase the current to 16A everywhere (too bad that still can't be done remotely). But it's working!
uhava7ys.jpg