Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced charging on Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y LR. 235V/40A draw is normal on my Gen 1 Wall Connector but am only getting 16A/40A. Reduced Charging/check cable message on IP. Tested on my Model S which still drew 40A without any issue. Checked ports, checked charger - no issues. Hard rebooted Y, never gets above 17A peak draw - steady at 16A.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it's got to be internal to the Y. Software 2020.36.3.

This is interesting. There are a number of threads about the HWC having similar behavior but they seem to be related to Gen3 WC's.

Can you manually dial down the amperage to another number, such as 24A or 30A instead of letting it ramp up all the way to 40A? Perhaps this is a heat dissipation issue, or a sensor perceives it as such. It's great that you have your S to check it against and troubleshoot.

It's an odd one. So, didn't do anything to change the amperage but last night, plugged in and it ramped up to the full 40A without issue. We'll see what happens tonight. I'll look through the Model 3 section as suggested. Now, when the problem did happen I tried a few times unplugging and replugging it back in just in case there was a contact issue.

The Model S certainly helped to ensure it wasn't the charger at fault. I've had the charger now 4 years and rarely has it ever given me any problems.

Reactions: Pilot1226
Maybe you can help with my issue ... I have a 2017 S. I Just installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector in my garage to replace my NEMA plug. When I charge, initially no issue, unit charges at top charge level. After some period the charge level will reduce by approximately half. The lights on the wall connector have changed from all descending green to one red light at the top with the other lights all descending green. If I stop and restart the charge process I have the same sequence. Anyone ever see this? Can you share insight? A professional electrician installed my wall connector. They have installed other Tesla wall units. Thank you

Maybe you can help with my issue ... I have a 2017 S. I Just installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector in my garage to replace my NEMA plug. When I charge, initially no issue, unit charges at top charge level. After some period the charge level will reduce by approximately half. The lights on the wall connector have changed from all descending green to one red light at the top with the other lights all descending green. If I stop and restart the charge process I have the same sequence. Anyone ever see this? Can you share insight? A professional electrician installed my wall connector. They have installed other Tesla wall units. Thank you
There are several threads all through the Model 3 and Model Y section about it. The Gen3 wall connectors were mostly defective. Here is the main thread about it:
Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

There are several threads all through the Model 3 and Model Y section about it. The Gen3 wall connectors were mostly defective. Here is the main thread about it:
Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

Rocky .. thank you. I called Tesla today. They pushed through a firmware update while we were speaking. Asked me to give it 24 hours and if the charging experience is not improved they will look to replace the unit. Appreciate your response.