Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced charging rate because of overheating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've been getting the message of reduced charging rates because of overheating. (4 red blinking lights during charging). It says to check the wiring and the outlet. I had an electrician come out today and he said everything looks fine. Is it the mobile charger itself? I use a mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 outlet (40 amp breaker).

BTW, I'm clueless about electrical stuff. :-|

If it is the mobile charger, I see they are out of stock to replace. Can someone recommend what I should do? Should I get a Wall Connector because they are out of stock?

Hi, I've been getting the message of reduced charging rates because of overheating. (4 red blinking lights during charging). It says to check the wiring and the outlet. I had an electrician come out today and he said everything looks fine. Is it the mobile charger itself? I use a mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 outlet (40 amp breaker).

BTW, I'm clueless about electrical stuff. :-|

If it is the mobile charger, I see they are out of stock to replace. Can someone recommend what I should do? Should I get a Wall Connector because they are out of stock?
Thank you for your replies. Just wanted to give an update.
I borrowed my neighbors mobile charger this morning (never been touched in years, they have a wall connector). I didn't get the error. Then I used their 240v adapter (15-40) on my charging cable and I didn't get the error. When I pulled out my 240v adapter to put theirs in, I'm not convinced it was seated as well as it could have been but I wasn't focused on that... so not sure if that was a potential issue. Tonight I will try mine again making sure it's seated tightly.

I did buy an industrial grade outlet the other day (Hubbell made generic version Bryant) that I want to replace after seeing the recommendations for that and I'll make sure the screws are tightened. The electrician replaced the breaker yesterday and that didn't help.

So I made the sure the "pig tail" was solidly in and I got the error last night. So that must be the problem. I have mobile service coming next week to fix the "front passenger safety restraint" annoying error and mentioned the mobile connector and they confirmed it's still covered under my 40 year/40K mile warranty!! I had noticed that small print in the mobile connector documentation. Let's hope they have one to give me.

So now it's all making sense. On another thread, this came up. I did not have the mobile charger supported in any way. Just hanging from the outlet. For 3.5 years. No wonder it's giving out.

From other thread:
Did your installation of the Mobile Connector include supporting the Mobile Connector chassis (electronics unit) or was the Mobile Connector let to hang supported by just the power plug pigtail?

The plug and receptacle are not designed to support additional weight. For best long term reliability the Moibile Connector chassis should be mounted to the wall or otherwise supported.

The Tesla Cable Organizer includes a wall bracket for the Mobile Connector Chassis (see photo #2)

Cable Organizer

This is usually caused by one of the screw terminals in the outlet being a little loose. Electricians often don't know much about electrical stuff either but if you explain to him that the screws probably aren't tight enough he should be able to tighten them for you.
The Tesla wall mounted charger actually has a torque spec for the screws that secure the wires. 50 in lb. Yes I did of course.

So now it's all making sense. On another thread, this came up. I did not have the mobile charger supported in any way. Just hanging from the outlet. For 3.5 years. No wonder it's giving out.

From other thread:
Did your installation of the Mobile Connector include supporting the Mobile Connector chassis (electronics unit) or was the Mobile Connector let to hang supported by just the power plug pigtail?

The plug and receptacle are not designed to support additional weight. For best long term reliability the Moibile Connector chassis should be mounted to the wall or otherwise supported.

The Tesla Cable Organizer includes a wall bracket for the Mobile Connector Chassis (see photo #2)

Cable Organizer
Yeah, there are all types of solutions out there to support the Mobile Connector. On a budget, a Bike bottle holder works well (mentioned a lot here in the forums). I personally used one of these:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-2-Pack-7-in-Gray-Steel-Multi-Tool-Hangers/50218513

Even something as simple as two drywall screws (and tape to prevent scratching the finish on the Mobile Connector) can be used.

I’ve had that message happened to me twice. I just read this thread and remembered that my mobile charger that I was using at home is the mobile charger I purchased from eBay. I have my mobile charger that came with my Tesla in the frunk. I was thinking the message was because I had the amps set to the max for the cable. 32 amps. Is anyone lowering the amps on the mobile charger? To 28-30? Instead of 32?
I was thinking it was the heat added in my garage. I’ve gotten the messages. When I charged earlier in the day. Before 8pm.

Last edited:
Hello, recently my Wall Connector connected to my Model 3 has been showing a blinking red LED which, according to Tesla documentation, means it's limiting charging due to overheating. Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot what the problem might be?