Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced mileage after 2 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of 75Ds behave like that. The S70D, which preceded your variant is a little bit better. At 4 years 232 of 240 miles, or 3.3% degradation. I've heard that frequent supercharging can be a factor. I'm guessing about 5-8% of my miles are from a supercharger. With Teslas, its a little bit like getting a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.

Lots of 75Ds behave like that. The S70D, which preceded your variant is a little bit better. At 4 years 232 of 240 miles, or 3.3% degradation. I've heard that frequent supercharging can be a factor. I'm guessing about 5-8% of my miles are from a supercharger. With Teslas, its a little bit like getting a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.
The 70D actually has an electronically limited 75 kWh battery pack, meaning it's exactly the same car as the 75D with the exact same battery. The battery doesn't seem to degrade as quickly because you're never actually using 100% of the capacity.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd and thewoz
The 70D actually has an electronically limited 75 kWh battery pack, meaning it's exactly the same car as the 75D with the exact same battery. The battery doesn't seem to degrade as quickly because you're never actually using 100% of the capacity.
No. The vast majority of 70s are “real” 70kwh packs (battery code BT70). Only a small handful of post-facelift 2016 models were software locked 75s (battery code BTX5).

Last edited:
I’m still entertained with my buddy’s 2016 Tesla 75D. He has 70 thousand miles now and has never charged at home to anything less than 100 %. and he uses it for road trips constantly and supercharges as much as anyone.
he tends to break all the rules and refuses to worry about it.
He still gets over 240 miles topped off on a car that I think had 249 when new.

just one data point of course but still makes me laugh when each day I charge mine to 80%.

Thanks for all of the replies. I rarely use a supercharger with the exception of possibly twice a year road trips. At home I use the Tesla charger and always limit the charge to 80%, except when I want to determine the upper limit of the battery as I did this weekend. I assume that the lost mileage is never recoverable short of a new battery pack. Is this loss capacity due to dead cells?

I assume that the lost mileage is never recoverable short of a new battery pack. Is this loss capacity due to dead cells?
Others have tapped into their car's CAN-bus to get millivolt readings of each battery pack. From what I recall, no individual cells go 'dead', but rather, each module slowly loses its capacity to store energy. The technical term for this degradation is 'dendrite formation'. I'm not a chemical engineer, but this article sums up what is happening.

The ultimate goal of the battery and its tending software, is to prevent each of the battery module from descending below a critical volt level, which apparently, leads to an accelerated degradation of the battery. In my years of travel, seeing 200-400 Teslas successfully supercharging, I've only seen one car stuck, in the final 100 yards, with their battery offline. The driver triggered the protective software by running one of her modules below the required minimal voltage, and needed a short tow.

The batteries, periodically, need to be topped off to 93-100% for the car to move charge around to balance the charge across the entire pack. Otherwise, some of the modules might be a few millivolts low, and reach the critical 'bricking' volt-level ahead of the others. Ultimately, the car's software reads the voltage readings of each pack and continuously decides to allow the battery to be used for driving, or to take it offline.

Importantly, to figure out what is normal, you have to recognize that Tesla is evolving the battery chemistry and geometry through the generations of cars:

Stage 1 batteries were constructed with 18650 cells, which are 18 mm wide, and 65 mm tall. They had a NCA formulation that required 11kgs of Cobalt in the cathode, per car. They had a pure graphite anode, with no Silicon.

Stage 2 batteries used the same 18650 cells, but reduced the amount of Cobalt required in the cathode from 11 to just 7kg/car. They also introduced a small amount of silicon into their anode.

Stage 3 batteries are new for Tesla, and first shipped with the Model 3. Stage 3 batteries have further reduced the amount of cobalt to just around 4.5kg per vehicle. They also have a hybrid silicon/graphite anode, and while proprietary and unreported, probably higher silicon content than their stage 2 batteries.
-- InsideEVs.com article

A great Wikipedia overview of the specs for the last 6-7 years of Teslas can be found here.
Lengthy discussion of the S90 and S75s degradation (with the occasional mention of the Nissan Leaf debacle) here.

Last edited:
MS85, 4 years + 4 months, 76'000 km (47'000 M).
Battery down by 2.8% (30% supercharging)

I hardly do any supercharging and charge at home with the Tesla charger usually always at 80%. Now I have read from a thread that I should be charging every so often to 100% and have started that. But after 2 years as my original quote mentioned I have lost 7% (238 maximum) with 16,000 miles.

In my use case, I charge at 70% when I reach 30% with a Tesla home charge, it's about once a week. About once a month, I charge to 100% for a trip that need that and maybe 5-6 times à year I do road trip > 1000 miles with several supercharge each day, occasionally to 100%.

Your 7% looks a bit to much compared to my case but I have a 85, not a 75 so I don't know what to say. It doesn't looks excessive either.

I must say that I may recover a bit after a supercharger road trip, maybe 1-2 miles. I can't say if it's significant.

2018 MS100D original at new... 90% charge was at 486km or 539km fully charged. (Spec)

Now after 1.5yrs and 40,000km, oddly my 90% charge went UP to 490km yielding 543km fully charged. It was down to 483km and then some update occurred last month and I started to see a higher net charge.

Could this be the increased range Tesla was talking abt? Or was that presumably for Raven models only?

I then charged to 100% once to see the actual full charge result and lo and behold it showed 545km! (6km above Tesla’s original 539km spec for my car).

Fyi I charge at home 90% of the time at 48amps even through the car has a 72 amp capacity.

Last edited: