Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced Model 3 SR+ Rang

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. Nearly every reply is about efficiency, but that's not what you're asking about. You've said the indicated range has gone down, right?

Newer models show it more obviously, but you'll lose up to 5% or so within the first few thousand miles. The drop slows down greatly after this, and nearly everyone has less than 15% degradation. You have 2.4%. it's hard to say so early on, but looks normal so far.

If it exceeds a 10% degradation in the first 10,000mi I'd consider that not exactly normal, but unfortunately well within the warranty terms of 30%.

Note that on older Model 3s, they topped out the display at 240mi. It still had the same amount of energy, they just didn't show the degradation until it hit 239mi basically. If you see more reports of degradation now, this is basically why. If calculated the old way, it would still be saying it had the 240/240 the car came with.
Great explanation. Thank you

I was down to 214. Try doing the following
Drive down to 25% > charge to 50% (let finish) immediately set to 60% And start charging (let finish) set to 70%-90% in same pattern, by the time you set it to 90% your true number will be back.

2019 September SR+ was as 214 after this approach it’s now staying at 220

~12,000 miles

Spoke too soon I’m now the lowest car on Teslafi with my odometer reading.
3FB2E0C0-1E04-42BF-8201-01664D8CB909.jpeg

That's 215 or less wh/mi. To get that kind of efficiency at 70mph, you're probably dropping in elevation, following a semi, or you're not really averaging 70mph. I have a perfectly flat portion of my daily drive which is 15 miles, the car only gets 215 wh/mi or better when traveling under 65 mph.

18” Aeros at 46psi. Holding a 225 wh/mi lifetime over 15k miles in this particular SR+

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
18" aeros at 48 psi. My lifetime average is at 228 wh/mi over 12.2K miles in my March 2019 SR+.

If I set the charge rate to 90% I get 216 and if I set it to 100% I get 240. On occasion it'll show 214 or 215 but most of the time 216.

If I drive conservatively I can meet or beat the EPA rating/displayed miles. If I drive fast and use heating or cooling it's a little under.

Question on the SR+ I know that they redid the mileage to show 250 for newer SR+ cars. Was there a hardware improvement to the car or just a change to the displayed miles?

18" aeros at 48 psi. My lifetime average is at 228 wh/mi over 12.2K miles in my March 2019 SR+.

If I set the charge rate to 90% I get 216 and if I set it to 100% I get 240. On occasion it'll show 214 or 215 but most of the time 216.

If I drive conservatively I can meet or beat the EPA rating/displayed miles. If I drive fast and use heating or cooling it's a little under.

Question on the SR+ I know that they redid the mileage to show 250 for newer SR+ cars. Was there a hardware improvement to the car or just a change to the displayed miles?

Change to displayed mileage aka same pack and modules. Mostly refined improvements via drive unit/inverter software.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

Dang, you won the SR+ Lottery! I'm in the low 190s at 90%

Reactions: mrgoogle
208-212 here at 100% and I’ve given up on hoping it can improve. Losing 1 miles every other week and it’s become a game for me. I believe the SR+ has the worst degradation based off Feedback from most users. Good luck on your journey, it will only go down from here.

View attachment 572683

KzxS1b0.png

That's my 100%. Slightly lower than normal but it's never really accurate. I also super charge probably 98% of the time as well

19's. 41 PSI. Lowered 1 inch

My 2019 sr+ was able to show 385km (240 miles) when first delivered. After 10000km I now show 366 at full. We don't do a lot of long drives, but today I was able to drive 370km on one charge on the highway. When I arrived home I still had 41km remaining for a real world range of 411km (257 miles)+. Our highway speed limits aren't that high here on Vancouver Island, but the roads also are anything but flat.

I had planned a supercharger stop and was very surprised I didn't need it.

I didn't think starting a new thread was reasonable. I have an opposite example and would like to ask whether this is normal by any standards.

Yesterday I drove my 2020 SR+ (less than three weeks old) on the highway:

- Total trip 158km, around 18 in the city and the rest on the highway
- Battery at 91% when departing
- Battery at 29% when arriving at Supercharger
- Outside temperature was around 10C, maybe slightly less when departing
- Speed on the highway was a pretty constant 123km/h
- Car was "prepared" for departure as per the manual
- No significant changes in elevation

If my calculations are correct, the total range with this consumption would be around 260km. But this is only theoretical, since I'm not going to risk it and drive even to 10% with so few Superchargers available in Finland. I have during the last week made six similar trips and all of them have had range loss very close to this. If the situation is this bad at around 10C, will I even be able to drive reasonable distances when it drops to -10C or even less?

I will contact Tesla, but wanted to have some comments here first. Thanks!

One thing to remember about Lithium Ion batteries are that when they are new it does not take long to lose a few percent in capacity at all, but this is just a short accelerated bit of degradation and soon settles down to normal after a couple of percent loss.

I didn't think starting a new thread was reasonable. I have an opposite example and would like to ask whether this is normal by any standards.

Yesterday I drove my 2020 SR+ (less than three weeks old) on the highway:

- Total trip 158km, around 18 in the city and the rest on the highway
- Battery at 91% when departing
- Battery at 29% when arriving at Supercharger
- Outside temperature was around 10C, maybe slightly less when departing
- Speed on the highway was a pretty constant 123km/h
- Car was "prepared" for departure as per the manual
- No significant changes in elevation

If my calculations are correct, the total range with this consumption would be around 260km. But this is only theoretical, since I'm not going to risk it and drive even to 10% with so few Superchargers available in Finland. I have during the last week made six similar trips and all of them have had range loss very close to this. If the situation is this bad at around 10C, will I even be able to drive reasonable distances when it drops to -10C or even less?

I will contact Tesla, but wanted to have some comments here first. Thanks!

Outside air temp means you had heat running and @123kmh your consumption would be significantly above rated even without the heat running. Sounds normal to me.