Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced ordering options for Model S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember Elon put out a tweet about ordering prior to November 1st?

Looks like those changes are now in place. From what I can discern...:

* no more sunroof option whatsoever on the S. Only the glass roof is available.
* no more cloth/textile whatever seats. Only black, white and cream for non-performance cars, and only black or white for the P100D.
* P100D is the only one that comes with carbon fiber interior. (And it only comes with carbon fiber.)
* one of the wheel options has gone from the P100D, I think it's the arachnid.

Personally I don't understand the lack of options on such an expensive car. But... Tesla can do it because of demand, I guess. And with less options to stock at the factory, they can use their space more efficiently and produce cars faster.

Carbon fiber is weird. It was a low cost option and many ordered it. Off to see what is available now. Seems like that’s a really bad idea as P is a big jump.

Edit: yeah, really simplifying things... also noted (probably been there...) that it says after sales AP prices subject to change. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA and timx
Remember Elon put out a tweet about ordering prior to November 1st?

Looks like those changes are now in place. From what I can discern...:

* no more sunroof option whatsoever on the S. Only the glass roof is available.
* no more cloth/textile whatever seats. Only black, white and cream for non-performance cars, and only black or white for the P100D.
* P100D is the only one that comes with carbon fiber interior. (And it only comes with carbon fiber.)
* one of the wheel options has gone from the P100D, I think it's the arachnid.

Personally I don't understand the lack of options on such an expensive car. But... Tesla can do it because of demand, I guess. And with less options to stock at the factory, they can use their space more efficiently and produce cars faster.

Also:

* S: no more jumpseats
* X: no more 6 seat center console

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
They probably reduced options to maximize delivery before eoq. They might bring some of them back after

No. They’re not going to change the production line process just for two months and then change it back just to sell a few more cars. That would seriously piss of so many people who couldn't order the removed options now (like the sunroof or CF decor), only to have them return on Jan 1st.

No more sunroof sounds like a terrible omission

Totally. I don't use my pano roof very often, but I love having it.

No. They’re not going to change the production line process just for two months and then change it back just to sell a few more cars. That would seriously piss of so many people who couldn't order the removed options now (like the sunroof or CF decor), only to have them return on Jan 1st.

Totally. I don't use my pano roof very often, but I love having it.
I am not quite sure about that. Tesla is known to piss off customers with all the price changes recently on Model 3. It’s not like they didn’t remove ventilated seats that came back for P only, though it took more than 2 months.

I understand the idea of simplifying the trim levels, but cutting out the sunroof on the S is a bad move in my opinion. It's nice to have the ability to open it up while driving out in the country. It's also one of the things that would make me think twice over the X and 3, regardless of the expanded glass roof. If they are going to do some major revisions, I don't see how this helps at all - just plan for it. I'm beginning to get suspicious of what's going on with all the trim changes.

This is very odd. It would make sense if there was a refresh imminent and they are getting rid of parts inventory, but don’t want to tank sales by announcing the refresh. I haven’t heard of Tesla being production limited for the S and X so I do it buy the need to simply production reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: sundaymorning
I am not quite sure about that. Tesla is known to piss off customers with all the price changes recently on Model 3. It’s not like they didn’t remove ventilated seats that came back for P only, though it took more than 2 months.

Price changes are not the same as production line changes. One you can fix (as they did).. the other not so much.

The ventilated seats returned as upgraded units. Also a change in seats doesn’t really change the production line.

Reactions: P85_DA
Still don’t get deletion of ‘modern’ options of things like CF. If I don’t want to spend $13K whatever more for P on my X, I need to accept what some call old-fashioned looking wood trim?

Whether or not you like one or the other, the minimal choice we had before Is now about zero. You pick white/cream/black and wheels. Done.

I understood making PUP and trailer and cold standard on the X to streamline things. But there’s a limit to physical option changes as people have preferences for how things look.

At this rate, my 2017 X with CF will be a classic!

So glad they kept the cream interior. I think it looks stunning with the new graphite trim.
I think it looks stunning with CF. White is too blinding white and black is too much of that. :D

Never understood the changes to limit Cream, either.

There are really so few choices now and they make so few actual S and X cars, at this price and volume level, I’m confused.

Reactions: commasign
I have used my pano everyday almost except rain which is rare here .Wow why do you think it's gone? That is one of my favorite features and miss it in our 3.

I have rear facing seats and pano roof in my S. I guess this makes my nearly 6-year-old electric car even more unique.
I was thinking of getting a new S. My kids have outgrown the rear-facing seats, so I can let that go, but every car I’ve owned had a sunroof. I feel like I’m going to miss that, but then again the last time I really enjoyed it was our road trip through Yellowstone.

But if the rumor is true that the S is about to refresh, I should hold off on putting in my order for a new S until they do...