Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced power but no error code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 MS60 has been super charging slowly for the last year, seldom getting over 80 kW, tapering to 50 kW really quickly. It’s not cold here at all yet I have a little yellow dashed line on my binnacle display that indicates top end power is reduced… The same sort of dashed lines that show you that Regen is limited when it’s cold.

called Tesla about it a few months ago and they advised me to park the car for four hours with less than 20% battery and let the car sleep. Then charge of the car to 100%. We did that and it worked one time. The next time we drove the car the yellow dashed lines were back. So we did it again and they went away again. The temperature here is about 70 Fahrenheit and we don’t drive the car every day due to wife working from home.
So I called Tesal Service again about a month ago and they sent the rover out and he ran a cooling system diagnostic test and found no issue. The technician was very nice but he really had no idea what the problem was. His recommendation was to take it to the local service center and leave it with them for a few days which is what I did today.
As I drove two hours to the Charlotte service center I noted that the yellow dashed line kept expanding the lower my battery was. When I arrived at the service center the lady went over what they would do to my car while they had it in and the word contactor came up. I cannot imagine that this is a contactor problem. My hypothesis is that there is a bad cell that has popped it’s a little fuse and the more I use the pack the more out of balance it becomes. Tesla assures me that that would cause a code to appear in the diagnostic display. Attached are two pictures one taken when I left home this morning and the other taken when I arrived at the Charlotte service center later this morning. Note my little yellow dashed lines.
Does anyone have any idea about this?

Attachments

• B8F6E36C-2FAE-4264-9A3E-60B4232AEFDA.jpeg
    B8F6E36C-2FAE-4264-9A3E-60B4232AEFDA.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 8DA46263-5573-494C-B028-725496E1B10A.jpeg
    8DA46263-5573-494C-B028-725496E1B10A.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 55