Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced power, car needs service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have the service center pull the logs and check. It's probably nothing, but if not you want to get in front of it before it causes a real problem.

+1 this. Make a note of the specific date and time this occurred, if possible. It will make it much easier for the service center to find the error in the logs. I had a weird "Car needs service contact tesla" message pop up for about 5 seconds when I was driving my S about two months ago but everything seemed fine. I happened to be going to the SC later that week for an unrelated issue and mentioned it to the tech. Upon pulling the log, they determined the message was a fault that led them to replace the DC/DC inverter immediately.

+1 this. Make a note of the specific date and time this occurred, if possible. It will make it much easier for the service center to find the error in the logs. I had a weird "Car needs service contact tesla" message pop up for about 5 seconds when I was driving my S about two months ago but everything seemed fine. I happened to be going to the SC later that week for an unrelated issue and mentioned it to the tech. Upon pulling the log, they determined the message was a fault that led them to replace the DC/DC inverter immediately.
I called the service center and emailed the shop foreman with that info and waiting to hear back.

Update, the shop foreman looked at the logs and said that it was caused by a firmware bug and probably will not happen again but will be fixed with 8.0. He said when the car is waking up the sequence of the drive motor and main screen coming on line, it is very rare but can happen. Let's hope the new firmware fixes that and a few other glitches.

Went back out to the car 1 hour later and everything was fine.
I've been fighting this for months. Happens at least once a week. Twice to the SC with no resolution. My workaround has been get in, press brake, get out, shut & lock, walk out of range with the key for 5-10 minutes then go back.

Edit: that was weird; must have had a "draft" saved in my browser cache? At any rate, that's awesome to hear; I'm still seeing it so here's hoping 8 fixes it.

I've been fighting this for months. Happens at least once a week. Twice to the SC with no resolution. My workaround has been get in, press brake, get out, shut & lock, walk out of range with the key for 5-10 minutes then go back.

Edit: that was weird; must have had a "draft" saved in my browser cache? At any rate, that's awesome to hear; I'm still seeing it so here's hoping 8 fixes it.

This happened to me the day I picked up the car. They thought the coolant system needed to be burped. It happened a second time and they ended up replacing the rear drive motor.

I was getting a "car needs service, may not restart" message and when we came out of the restaurant it was dead and wouldn't start. Roadside assistance couldn't get it going so they sent an uber for us and towed it to the shop. They wound up replacing the high power distribution box and the cable that goes to the front motor. It was fine until last Thursday, when it happened again. They said the same cable went again and that there was a known issue with the cable. There is a new version that they are installing today and I should have the car back tomorrow. What bothers me is that they knew I had the defective cable and didn't contact me to have it replaced. Hopefully the new cable does the trick because I hate not being able to trust a car and having to worry about getting stranded. In 25 years of driving Toyota and Lexus vehicles I have never been left high and dry. My MX has done it to me twice in 6 months.

Reactions: qadaemon