Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced power output on Model S P85.

nexsuperne101

Closed
Apr 12, 2016
London, England
Hi Peeps,

My P85, prior to the last few updates used to put out between 416bhp and 425bhp. 0-60mph was also just over 4 seconds. It now takes far longer to supercharge (2 hours from 2% to 95%), the peak power is only hitting 396bhp and the 0-60mph is 4.4 seconds. Has anyone else noticed this on their P85?
I am using ScanMyTesla to log the 0-60mph and other power characteristics. I tried an earlier version of the software, but still get the same results, so I know it isn't buggy code.
The current motor has only done 15,000 miles, after it was replaced last summer.
The battery is 95% charged and over 35C, so there is no power limiting bar showing on the instrument cluster, which is how I always test it.

Thanks

Mar 11, 2010
Humboldt/Los Altos
what firmware?
sounds that same as what everyone else is seeing. SC charging never is as fast as what the estimate says now either from what I see.
new firmware versions cap power input/output at low temperature a lot more. Charging seems to need 110-114F battery for a decent close to expected rate. output is way limited at lower temps to IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke

nexsuperne101

Closed
Apr 12, 2016
London, England
Firmware is 2019.32.12.2. Charging is normally about 100F. I don't get 118KW anymore, and I used to until the last few updates. I can still get 200 miles on a run (70mph cruising), so its not affected the overall range.

Chaserr

Hyperactive Hyperdrive
Sep 5, 2017
Logan
You're probably not capped with 73.1kwh usable. If your power is limited that could be caused by a physical pack problem. Charge rate throttling is another issue that is probably related to the capping, but is applied separately. A lot of people have one but not the other, others have both, some have neither.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Hi Peeps,

My P85, prior to the last few updates used to put out between 416bhp and 425bhp. 0-60mph was also just over 4 seconds. It now takes far longer to supercharge (2 hours from 2% to 95%), the peak power is only hitting 396bhp and the 0-60mph is 4.4 seconds. Has anyone else noticed this on their P85?
I am using ScanMyTesla to log the 0-60mph and other power characteristics. I tried an earlier version of the software, but still get the same results, so I know it isn't buggy code.
The current motor has only done 15,000 miles, after it was replaced last summer.
The battery is 95% charged and over 35C, so there is no power limiting bar showing on the instrument cluster, which is how I always test it.

Thanks

Welcome to batterygate and chargegate. Are you going to join the class action?

So glad to still be on V8:D

Chaserr

Hyperactive Hyperdrive
Sep 5, 2017
Logan
And in the only known case where the actually locked out existing capacity, i.e. the Note 7, they did so with the announcement that they want you to return it for a 100% full refund.
We don't even want that much, we just want the lockput removed - and if they can't for safety reasons they need to tell us why our cars are unsafe and why they're hiding that fact from us.

Keep an Wifi Access Point in your car at all times, not connected to cellular. Set up your car to use it, and it will auto connect every time you park but release when you're driving. This will keep you offline when parked, but online when driving only because you will be on 3G/LTE in D but on the offline WiFi while parked. Tesla engineers are manually remoting to people on V8 lately and downgrading them to v10 and we think it's related to batterygate but they can't install while you are in drive - the most they can do is command teh car to download an update but it can't be started while you're driving and they can't connect if you have a null WiFi blocking their accedd in P. If they find you, you'll get slower supercharging and the UI downgrades for certain, and maybe downgraded to 60 kwh capacity and slowed too. Good luck keeping your car on v8! I wish I had!

And in the only known case where the actually locked out existing capacity, i.e. the Note 7, they did so with the announcement that they want you to return it for a 100% full refund.

And in that only known example, they reduced pack voltage and locked out capacity because batteries were exploding.... just like Tesla batteries were right before 2019.16 was released in response to battery RUDs in what TEsla calls "an abundance of caution"

We need the NHTSA to complete its investigation fast because those phones were all recalled - reduced voltage wasn't considered a fix.

Last edited:

seclinton

May 25, 2015
Newark, CA
this post is correct. I’m bound by multiple NDA. So can’t name names. But locking out capacity isn’t just for safety it’s to extend the life of the cells and packs.

If you have a MacBook check your settings about Power. You will see the design capacity and remaining capacity. (Try coconut battery app) There you get a window into battery aging. Smart battery charging has been around for 2 decades and it keeps improving. Tesla I doubt is being malicious over the throttling and capping which is what this is. I think mountains of data over 7+ years and a couple hundred thousand cars, Tesla is managing batteries similar to our portable electronics

We don't even want that much, we just want the lockput removed - and if they can't for safety reasons they need to tell us why our cars are unsafe and why they're hiding that fact from us.

Keep an Wifi Access Point in your car at all times, not connected to cellular. Set up your car to use it, and it will auto connect every time you park but release when you're driving. This will keep you offline when parked, but online when driving only because you will be on 3G/LTE in D but on the offline WiFi while parked. Tesla engineers are manually remoting to people on V8 lately and downgrading them to v10 and we think it's related to batterygate but they can't install while you are in drive - the most they can do is command teh car to download an update but it can't be started while you're driving and they can't connect if you have a null WiFi blocking their accedd in P. If they find you, you'll get slower supercharging and the UI downgrades for certain, and maybe downgraded to 60 kwh capacity and slowed too. Good luck keeping your car on v8! I wish I had!

And in that only known example, they reduced pack voltage and locked out capacity because batteries were exploding.... just like Tesla batteries were right before 2019.16 was released in response to battery RUDs in what TEsla calls "an abundance of caution"

We need the NHTSA to complete its investigation fast because those phones were all recalled - reduced voltage wasn't considered a fix.

nexsuperne101

Closed
Apr 12, 2016
London, England
I don't think mine is locked. I still see 402 volts at 99% (it hasn't ever charged to 100% since 2019.16...). At 402V on a 96S pack, that is still 4.19V, so it is right on the 4.2V absolute maximum limit. I will charge it right up tonight, let it balance, drive it to 0% tomorrow and see how the cell voltage imbalance is looking.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

seclinton

May 25, 2015
Newark, CA
From that, I infer that it can be for safety reasons. In which case, they need to explain why the packs might not be safe, and that's when the topic of warranty replacement comes up - something they seem to be trying very hard to avoid.
I agree, it's for safety and for longevity. Not lowering the top end voltage/cell as it ages will result in swelling of the cell (ok cylindrical cells rarely swell, so lets convert that to instead) heat and gas evolution from within the cell and eventually unchecked, will cause cells to vent and possibly catch fire. It's a fact of lithium technology in batteries these days.

Reactions: Droschke

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC