Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
The Tesla Team March 1, 2019
All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

[ TEG mod edit: Editing first post to add this chart that 'Troy' created to explain all the new options ] :

a9ddabb3-50c2-4e82-82cc-77f9e30e8eb9-jpeg.382774

Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers..

Well slap my ass and call me Brenda. I am shocked, amazed, and thrilled.

So, if you purchased EAP before delivery for $5k, what do you get now?
Nothing as far as I'm aware. You still have to pay $3000 for full self driving. So basically The people who didn't buy EAP before this restructure can get full self driving for only $5k while those who did buy EAP have to spend an additional $3k. This price change is only rewarding to those who didnt buy EAP because in the end EAP owners still have to spend a total of $8k for full self driving...

That is the mystery isn't it? I suspect you get nothing more than you have today plus any improvements to those features.

I suspect all future development will be FSD only since EAP no longer exists (I posted as much earlier). You might get some non-driving related items, but no new driving tech. It sucks, but Tesla has no obligation to add any new driving features to EAP.

I can't say I enjoyed ponying up $3K more for FSD, but I think that if you want new (driving related) bells and whistles that is your only option.

So, if you purchased EAP before delivery for $5k, what do you get now?

This whole scenario is leaving me feeling sour about the company. If they just did the autopilot swap around and left it at that I could deal with it. Technology gets better and upgrades should cost more. But they also lowered the price of the car. That means my car loses value and I need to pay another $3000 to have similar features. I just got milked for $5k. Big blow all in one day, not to mention I am getting really annoyed that I have a really buggy software update and they haven't updated my car in 40 days.

I was just about to post a thread pointing out that the difference between EAP and the new Autopilot is substantial. The old EAP really is halfway in between the new Autopilot and Full Self Drive definitions they are using now. For $3K I might upgrade to FSD once I see some real movement on it.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I still want some confirmation from tesla that I will receive HW 3 along with these features if I pay the 3k. I also already have EAP (for 5k) so they are letting me buy for the same price I would have purchased FSD with the car. I didnt because the car was already more than I wanted to spend... but now I may do it if I get confirmation from some official source that i WILL get the new HW 3.

New HW makes it worth it to me. I was at my local SC today about another issue and I asked them how long it takes (and how easy is it) to replace the computer in a model 3. The head tech, who I was speaking to, told me "its behind the glove compartment. With removal, installation and re programing / firmware updating, its about a 1/2 day job.

Just passing that on as informational.

If It gets me HW 3 I will buy FSD at this price, even though I dont feel like I am getting a huge discount.

...I suspect all future development will be FSD only since EAP no longer exists...

Tesla will still improve your old EAP functions:

Navigate on Autopilot: Activation for No-Confirmation Automatic Lane Change as promised.
AutoPark: Should add cameras in addition to sonars to reduce accidents.
Summon: Should add cameras in addition to sonars to reduce accidents and because your EAP is promised to do this:

section-smart_summon.jpg

That sucks. Really a raw deal for people who bought EAP only. Spent $5k on EAP before delivery, beacause was told at the time that if I didn’t it would cost me more (I think $7k) later. Instead, had I actually waited until later (i.e., now), I’d be able to get both EAP and FSD for $5k total.

Their post doesn’t even make sense... “You can buy these features for half what they normally cost after delivery. FSD normally costs $7k after delivery. So you can buy it for $3k.” Half of $7k is $3500 not $3k.