Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not impossible;

yes, it literally is.

SOME upcoming FSD features (such as advanced summon) may not require a hardware upgrade.

Sure. But they're not selling you "some FSD" as a package they're selling you all of it.

At the point where the hardware upgrade is REALLY required (wherever that is) they could be like "OK, we're going to to deliver these features to your car, but you're going to need a $1500 hardware upgrade to be able to use them."

Well, no, they really can't.

That would explicitly be fraud.

I'm not saying that interpretation is necessarily correct, or that yours is wrong. I'm just saying that the tweet could be open to interpretation.

Again, not really.

If you buy FSD you get the HW3 upgrade for free.

There's really no other way to "interpret" that other than what it literally says.

Now- you can argue about if there's ever a HW4 if you'll get THAT upgrade free... (several of their statements around the time of the 2->2.5 transition suggest you WOULD if it's needed for FSD) but those at least are more vague than the repeated, unambiguous statements that if you bought FSD on a 2.x car you get HW3 free. Now and for the long term.

My account has been updated with the new prices, except I purchased EAP for $5K in December. This is an error that nobody knows how to fix. Before last night's price adjustment, Autopilot was priced at $4,000 and FSD was $7,000. Does anybody else have this issue?

IMG_3374.PNG IMG_3408.PNG
IMG_3374.PNG
IMG_3408.PNG
IMG_3374.PNG IMG_3408.PNG

It's not impossible; SOME upcoming FSD features (such as advanced summon) may not require a hardware upgrade. At the point where the hardware upgrade is REALLY required (wherever that is) they could be like "OK, we're going to to deliver these features to your car, but you're going to need a $1500 hardware upgrade to be able to use them."

I'm not saying that interpretation is necessarily correct, or that yours is wrong. I'm just saying that the tweet could be open to interpretation.

Just like "All cars with EAP will get dashcam." Like you said, they could very well said.. hey you guys with AP 2.5 already got 90% of FSD except 1 thing. To get that last thing, you will have to pay extra. Or we could refund you $200 for the 10% of FSD you didn't get.

Unless they put it in words in the FSD purchase agreement that you WILL get HW 3.0 for free, I am not really convince that it will happen. There is also the chance the fully autonomous driving part of the FSD (that requires a hardware upgrade) will take place 5+ years down the road. In the main time you are paying the extra $2K for the EAP features you already got. They will probably throw in traffic lights/stop sign recognition this or next year. That seems easy enough. Adv summon? Maybe...but isn't that supposed to be part of EAP already? No idea.

I could not afford it at the time, but I am using my tax rebate to cover the cost. Sorry if I am one of those people who might make you guys mad. But it truly a dream to have such an advance car. I am coming from a Kia Soul 5 speed manual drive car to a "one day - Full Self Driving!"

No need to be sorry and not mad at you. I'd do the same thing and glad you saved $$$.

I see FSD in my account now for $2k, but I'm not buying until Tesla announces they're raising that cost. Don't trust them much anymore.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricLee
Nothing is certain about FSD. By paying $2k today you're gambling that you'll get something worth that in the future. A lot of people made that gamble last year and Tesla just screwed them by dropping the FSD price. So I think this falls into the "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" bucket. Until FSD includes something immediately useful to me, I won't give Tesla a dime for it.

Until HW3 makes it to your car, FSD has zero abilities....

The only thing about getting it now is if you can lock that 2k price in... That will give you the upgrade to HW3, which i think is more than worth it....

If you wait.... then you will certainly have to pay that 5k price if you wait.

I think that the 2K price will have a end date at some point.

• Disagree
Reactions: CTreast
My account has been updated with the new prices, except I purchased EAP for $5K in December. This is an error that nobody knows how to fix. Before last night's price adjustment, Autopilot was priced at $4,000 and FSD was $7,000. Does anybody else have this issue

View attachment 383630

It is also interesting that that your FSD description is very explicit... see mine below which is still that same vague description

38D6E98A-330A-44FB-9D09-9A66CCC22160.png

Well, no, they really can't.

That would explicitly be fraud.

I agree that if someone who purchased this were to not receive any of the stated abilities because of a required hardware upgrade, that would be fraud:

Screen-Shot-2018-06-27-at-9.35.21-AM-e1530108954606.jpg

However, the "full self driving" currently available to me for $3,000 is much different:

Full Self Driving Capability
  • - Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • - Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • - Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• - Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • - Automatic driving on city streets

No mention of any future updates toward real, get-in-and-take-a-nap FSD. "Automatic driving on city streets" can pretty much mean whatever they want it to; one could argue that all cars with AP already have that (you can turn it on, and it will drive you automatically, for a minute.)

So all they really HAVE to provide me with for my $3k that is not available to EAP buyers now is "recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs." They may very well be able to do that without the 3.0 hardware upgrade.

The only thing about getting it now is if you can lock that 2k price in... That will give you the upgrade to HW3, which i think is more than worth it....

I don't see anywhere in writing that buying FSD today guarantees me a hardware upgrade. I know it's been tweeted, but who knows what will really happen.

People who bought FSD at time of car purchase last year certainly thought they'd gotten the best price. Turns out that was false. So, I'll gamble that Tesla will get desperate for cash again at some point and charge even less for FSD. For $2k I might risk it.

Reactions: mdustinsy and Need
I don't see anywhere in writing that buying FSD today guarantees me a hardware upgrade. I know it's been tweeted,

You know twitter is writing, right? If you're unclear on it- check with the SEC :)

Also again see the fact they literally must upgrade the HW to actually deliver all the features listed.

I agree that if someone who purchased this were to not receive any of the stated abilities because of a required hardware upgrade, that would be fraud

Ok, so far so good....:

IHowever, the "full self driving" currently available to me for $3,000 is much different:

• - Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • - Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

No mention of any future updates toward real, get-in-and-take-a-nap FSD.

Also accurate so far.

"Automatic driving on city streets" can pretty much mean whatever they want it to; one could argue that all cars with AP already have that (you can turn it on, and it will drive you automatically, for a minute.)

Nope...

For one, AP explicitly says otherwise in the feature description

But once again here's Elon directly, from just a few days ago...

Elon Musk said:
so there are still some features that we need to finish in full self driving. We need the car to be able to recognize traffic lights and stop signs and do turns and navigation on side streets. That's the main thing that need to be finished in order for the car to take you from your from your house to your work with no intervention required.

AP (not even EAP) does that today. HW2.x can't do that at all.

Local roads and navigating them without inverention is explicitly what HW3 was built for because HW2.x can't process enough data from the sensor suite to do it reliably.

So, I mean, we have Tesla/Elon directly telling you, multiple times over many months, that FSD requires HW3 and that HW3 comes free with every FSD purchase from a HW2.x owner.

And yet people still keep insisting they're "not sure"

I agree that if someone who purchased this were to not receive any of the stated abilities because of a required hardware upgrade, that would be fraud:

Screen-Shot-2018-06-27-at-9.35.21-AM-e1530108954606.jpg

However, the "full self driving" currently available to me for $3,000 is much different:

Coming later this year:

No mention of any future updates toward real, get-in-and-take-a-nap FSD. "Automatic driving on city streets" can pretty much mean whatever they want it to; one could argue that all cars with AP already have that (you can turn it on, and it will drive you automatically, for a minute.)

So all they really HAVE to provide me with for my $3k that is not available to EAP buyers now is "recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs." They may very well be able to do that without the 3.0 hardware upgrade.

Thanks for this, I couldn't find any saved screenshots of what FSD used to be labeled as. Gah, the mental gymnastics are getting exhausting on this one!

So you certain the price will be $5k if you wait? I'm certain it will be less down the road. Were you certain there would be a reduction to $2K? Tesla needs cash and may need people on FSD, they will never get the prices they were asking and down the road price reductions are more likely than not.

Reactions: CTreast and Perry
All performance model 3 will get track mode

And Tesla has repeatedly confirmed that fact.

The software push that was intended to include it for the P3D- was pulled after just a few cars because of bugs, and hasn't been reissued yet... (likely will be in the big March 15 update if the relevant bugs are quashed by then).

Cars with EAP will get dashcam feature

To my knowledge the only thing stated on this is in reference to Sentry mode (not dashcam), specifically-

Elon Musk on twitter said:
all cars with AP2+ hardware will get it

Since, again, the Sentry mode rollout (same as the TM- rollout update) largely stopped after on a few got it due to bugs, we've no idea if AP2 cars will get it in that update or not, but no reason to believe the plan to include them in the feature has changed at this point.