Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long will they honor the FSD price? Or is it forever?

If they don't say it has a price protection guarantee, then it doesn't have a price protection guarantee. So the prices are only good until they adjust pricing again. It's a fairly safe bet they will retain the new lower price until the end of the 1st quarter because they need to replace the revenue that is lost while they have ships full of brand new Model 3's making the journey across the ocean. Nobody has paid for those cars until they can be unloaded and delivered. Some of them still have a long train or truck trip ahead of them also.

To ensure I don't miss out on the $2,000 bargain to add FSD to my EAP, I'm planning on buying before Friday, March 28th.

Well, Tesla just updated their Autopilot page and it does't fill me with confidence regarding the HW3 upgrade. It now says:

"All new Tesla cars come standard with advanced hardware capable of providing Autopilot features today, and full self-driving capabilities in the future—through software updates designed to improve functionality over time".

They are simply saying that all new cars come equipped with version 3.0 hardware. If your car came with earlier hardware, and you didn't pay for FSD, you need to buy FSD to get the new hardware version 3.0.

They are simply saying that all new cars come equipped with version 3.0 hardware. If your car came with earlier hardware, and you didn't pay for FSD, you need to buy FSD to get the new hardware version 3.0.

I may be simple minded, but to me simply saying it would... simply be saying it.

Something like: “Purchasing FSD option will ensure your vehicle is updated to the latest HW3.0, which can be completed during a regular service visit free of additional charge.”

Maybe I’m too familiar with the aerospace industry, but I like traceable paper trails to connect the dots, not ambiguity open to interpretation.

I may be simple minded, but to me simply saying it would... simply be saying it.

Something like: “Purchasing FSD option will ensure your vehicle is updated to the latest HW3.0, which can be completed during a regular service visit free of additional charge.”

They have said that.

Repeatedly.

Going back to at least August, and not just on twitter but on actual quarterly investor calls, and as recently as like 3 days ago as well.

A few specific people seem to refuse to believe it though no matter how often they say it.

They have said that.

Repeatedly.

Going back to at least August, and not just on twitter but on actual quarterly investor calls, and as recently as like 3 days ago as well.

A few specific people seem to refuse to believe it though no matter how often they say it.
Because they cannot be trusted anymore. I was promised and supposedly my account had a note added than when I upgraded from AWD to P3D- using my friends referral code, that he would get a wall connector and I would get FUSC. 5 months later after my friend never got his wall connector they now ensure me that upgrades through referral links didn't count.

The ONLY reason people ordered FSD for $3000 more was that it was going to cost people (ordering during that time) more if they added it later. There was absolutely 0 reason to pre-order other than that simple fact that they would save money by giving tesla that $3000 loan. Then guess what, oops, thanks for the $3000 but we decided that instead of $2000 more later it will actually be $3000 less.

Or put simpler, thanks you for your $3000..... Instead of a cheaper price we promised, what you actually get is the possibility to alpha test some features someday.

Support has gotten back to me, they are sticking to "Offering Early Access only" for those of us who have now pre-ordered FSD for more than it is being sold to other existing owners.

Just another person stupid enough to believe Tesla’s PRINTED webpage that said FSD price would go up, not down; so I preordered. That was a $3,000.00 mistake.

And now they are offering us what? Offering Early Access Program? So where is the EAP? My buddy that hasn’t paid for EAP or FSD got Sentury LAST WEEK. So, where is my $3,000.00 EAP membership?

So now I got to call them to get on this list? Oh, probably will take MONTHS, just like I had to wait a month to get the car I had to pay for in advance because of Texas. Tesla the car is amazing, the company’s customer service sucks.

Anyone else got into our $3,000.00 EAP membership?

According to the chart at the beginning of this thread people who ordered in 2019 and bought EAP get FSD for free. So that means we get the new computer for free? If i go to my account page in the Autopilot upgrade are it says i can buy FSD capability for $2,600 CAD. The description reads, IMO, that for $2,600 i get access to the option earlier than others but still get the hardware when released. Does anyone know the exact details?
AP.PNG

Tesla was selling FSD before as a "get it now before the price goes up later" and a bunch of people bit. Now they are doing it again.
Has their ever been a Tesla Scenario where the customer lost out because they chose to wait? Seems like you only lose out when you decide you can't wait any longer. There will be a trial period when the software is stable and the upgrade will be 1500-2000 or less. I'll get it then.
I have 16k miles on my car already and I like it just the way it is (aside from a couple software glitches)
I don't need stoplights, 95% of my driving is on the highway anyway.

As far as the pricing. This would be like apple allowing preorders for a phone at 4k dollars then, a year later, change the pre-order pricing to 2k and not refund the original pre-orders.
Being added to to the Beta tester group is not a benefit worth anything. I personally like being the last in line to get an update because all the big bugs are worked out.

Last edited:
Tesla was selling FSD before as a "get it now before the price goes up later" and a bunch of people bit. Now they are doing it again.
Has their ever been a Tesla Scenario where the customer lost out because they chose to wait?

A few, but mostly because Tesla just ceased selling what they might have wanted to buy...

P3D- being discontinued.

People who found the alcantra headliner a must-have in the 3.

I suppose S buyers who prefer RWD when they killed those models off might count (the RWD P85 for example has a narrow but very devoted fanbase)

A few, but mostly because Tesla just ceased selling what they might have wanted to buy...

P3D- being discontinued.

People who found the alcantra headliner a must-have in the 3.

I suppose S buyers who prefer RWD when they killed those models off might count (the RWD P85 for example has a narrow but very devoted fanbase)

You can buy a P3D AND a set of AERO rims for less than the price of P3D-. However, I still wish they would allow me to pay to upgrade mine to a P3D-, I would easily pay 5k for that (which would mean I paid thousands more than a P3D today).

The alcantra headliner is really nice, I wish my car had it. It CAN be added aftermarket for $2,200 installed though. Again, the money saved can go a long way there.

The rear window heat rejection is another one. I'm not sure that can be done aftermarket. I don't think any P's or AWD cars got that.

You can buy a P3D AND a set of AERO rims for less than the price of P3D-.

Even with the $5000 refund the P3D- folks got?

The other downside would be getting stuck with the more expensive to repair brakes, but given how rarely tesla brakes need service that's pretty minor- and I guess it'd get you track mode today instead of in a future SW update...

Yo
The rear window heat rejection is another one. I'm not sure that can be done aftermarket. I don't think any P's or AWD cars got that.

This one is imaginary.

Actual testing has shown the new windows work exactly the same for heat- just the vendor changed so the color when wet changed.

I known a lot of people are mad that ap+fsd is only $5k now when they paid $8k. But for me my car was $54.7k when I bought it and $50.7k by the time my first payment was due with no difference in tax rebate. I litterally lost $4k in the span of weeks. Tesla’s concession of ap for $2k still leaves me $3k behind today’s buyer, the same as you. Everyone got slighted in different ways on this deal. I tried to talk to customer service. They don’t care. I tried to post on their forum. They deleted all my posts. I got my first hard lesson on how Tesla operates.

I wished I could get post purchase discounts when prices change for many things I’ve purchased. It just doesn’t work that way.

When you bought the car, and EAP/FSD, you agreed to the price, or you wouldn’t have bought it.

If prices went up, would you give them more money post sale ?

No, one wouldn’t give them more money post sale if prices went up. The sales pitch was to purchase now or it will cost you more later. So the price going up post sale is the expectation.

Reactions: mdustinsy
For those who got Autopilot and FSD for 5k, good for them. The party is over. Go onto the configuration now and its 8k.

I think Tesla realized that lowering the price was setting themself up for a lawsuit. Charging people different prices for something that is yet to be delivered was setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

Again. Apple doesn't sell preorders 3 months before for 3k then reduce the preorder price to 2k a month later before any phone is delivered. Then say "well you were ok paying for it at the higher price". Everyone who is buying FSD is basically pre-ordering because they get nothing until the software comes out. All pre-orders should cost the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: SunCharged
I wished I could get post purchase discounts when prices change for many things I’ve purchased. It just doesn’t work that way.

When you bought the car, and EAP/FSD, you agreed to the price, or you wouldn’t have bought it.

If prices went up, would you give them more money post sale ?
There is an expectation that when you buy from a certain company they preserve the value of your purchase. Sure, a company can do anything it wants, but at what cost, because there are costs associated with every decision they make.

It doesn’t matter how you or I justify their thinking. It’s about the optics.

I stopped trying to convince all my coworkers to buy a Tesla because I will get blamed the next time they do something crazy. I probably will never buy a new Tesla again. Those are the long term consequences created in my tiny world. Now broaden that to the whole customer base.