Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the early supporters who purchased FSD, the dust seems to be settling and no resolution other than Early Access Program invites seems to be happening for us yet.

I think we may need to file formal complaints to continue to let Tesla know we are unhappy. I've called 1-800-51-TESLA, and sent an email to [email protected], and shot a tweet over to @elonmusk. I encourage you to do the same.

Reactions: redhaute
No, one wouldn’t give them more money post sale if prices went up. The sales pitch was to purchase now or it will cost you more later. So the price going up post sale is the expectation.

I have to admit I did not buy it when I bought the car. I assume they would offer a deal down the road. I did not think the deal would be less though, I thought it would be for the same price.

Of course I was okay not having EAP if the deal never came.

I did not buy FSD under this deal, as I would rather see what FSD actually turns out to be before I give them any money for it. I tend to think there is zero chance they can deliver true level 4 self driving with the current hardware or even HW3

For those who got Autopilot and FSD for 5k, good for them. The party is over. Go onto the configuration now and its 8k.

I think Tesla realized that lowering the price was setting themself up for a lawsuit. Charging people different prices for something that is yet to be delivered was setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

Again. Apple doesn't sell preorders 3 months before for 3k then reduce the preorder price to 2k a month later before any phone is delivered. Then say "well you were ok paying for it at the higher price". Everyone who is buying FSD is basically pre-ordering because they get nothing until the software comes out. All pre-orders should cost the same.

The analogy is decent, but with apple atleast you know it will be phone and they tell you it capabilities and you can cancell your preorder or return it.

With FSD, you have no idea what it will actually do beyond the EAP options moved over to it. You can not cancel it or return it.

I'm guessing if he bought in January 2019, he is not entitled to the $7,500 rebate.

Minor detail
Again, it only matters to you if $4,000 is a lot of money to you. My GoPro went on sale for $50 less than I bought it. $50 is not a lot of money to me so I didn't care, didn't bat an eye. My Tesla went on sale right after I bought it and the discount was $4,000. That is a lot of money to me so of course it got my attention.

Fair enough. I know how pissy I got when the P3D dropped $5k in price. To be fair, I accepted it until it seemed that people that bought the upgrade package would get $5k, but I wouldn’t. Until that point, I accepted prices change.

In the end, I ****ing love this car. I tell myself I’m happy others will now be able to enjoy it. Let’s not forget that the pricing of our model 3s is largely subsidized off the backs of those who paid healthy margins on the Roadster, Model S, and Model X. We are enjoying benefiting from allowing Tesla profit margins they could only dream of.

Interestingly enough, IF I add FSD to my vehicle NOW at the newly offered discounted price, I'm able to be $3.75 cheaper than the same config offered today. Tesla has set up these AP/FSD discounts in a way that if you take the FSD discount, you can reduce the delta between what you might have paid vs what you paid because the new buyers don't have access to AP/FSD at the discounted rates (unless they do this again, in the future). See below for my RWD LR config from early 2018:
2019-03-07_16-34-52.png

ORIG= What I actually bought
AP discount = What I actually bought PLUS adding newly offered FSD
Today = Same config, if bought today

Honestly, the only thing that I'm pissed off about is why they gave previous non-EAP buyers access to BOTH AP AND FSD at discount. Just giving non-EAP buyers to the reduced AP should have been good enough IMO....and I wouldn't be bitter!

Interestingly enough, IF I add FSD to my vehicle NOW at the newly offered discounted price, I'm able to be $3.75 cheaper than the same config offered today. Tesla has set up these AP/FSD discounts in a way that if you take the FSD discount, you can reduce the delta between what you might have paid vs what you paid because the new buyers don't have access to AP/FSD at the discounted rates (unless they do this again, in the future). See below for my RWD LR config from early 2018:
View attachment 384026
ORIG= What I actually bought
AP discount = What I actually bought PLUS adding newly offered FSD
Today = Same config, if bought today

Honestly, the only thing that I'm pissed off about is why they gave previous non-EAP buyers access to BOTH AP AND FSD at discount. Just giving non-EAP buyers to the reduced AP should have been good enough IMO....and I wouldn't be bitter!
EAP is no longer offered, but AP is available for 2k to post purchasers. So the cart is a little off.

Again, people like me are the reason they offered discounted AP. My car dropped $4k in price over the course of weeks. Giving me AP for $2,000 leaves me $3k in the hole. Giving me AP and FSD (though I can’t afford both) would leave me $1k in the hole.:(

Again, people like me are the reason they offered discounted AP. My car dropped $4k in price over the course of weeks. Giving me AP for $2,000 leaves me $3k in the hole. Giving me AP and FSD (though I can’t afford both) would leave me $1k in the hole.:(
Those features are going to cost most people 7k to 8k. Plus most people with 3s are affected by the price drop as well.

I am initiating my complaints to government agencies to investigate Tesla on these two areas.
* Bait and switch - You pay for a feature that never is fully functional - EAP components like Auto-steering are still in BETA. You pay for a product that never fully works.
* Misleading Advertising and labeling - Tesla encourages you to pay for a feature now, because if you want it later it costs much higher. However this we know it is not true.

Money back claim for EAP - I have initiated a money back claim for EAP with Tesla, as I seriously doubt it is worth the cost for the 5 years I keep this car. I called Tesla yesterday and put in my request for a money back. They said there is a cooling of period of 30 days beyond which they cannot entertain refund. I argued that, the package they sold (in canada its $6,600) is still in BETA and I have refrained from using it. Tesla only has a point if the cooling off period was for a fully functional product(GA general availability). Lets see where this goes.

FYI I finally got AP+FSD unlocked this morning, had to go to a SC and provide proof of purchase. Hopefully they can take care of this automatically for everyone else, they said there appears to be a "bug" that prevented it from happening automatically, engineering had to make a change to my config last night and it showed up (with no notification) this morning.