Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone who tried buying AP/FSD during the March discount period and had technical issues, been able to complete the purchase after the end of the discount period?

I tried to buy AP1 for my 2016 MS in March, but had issues doing so from My Account. Now that the website issue has been fixed just a few days ago, it's showing the old full price ($4000 CAD) instead of the discounted price ($2600CAD). I've been on the phone with support and have gotten many different stories.

I plan to go to a service center this week to see what they can do, but wondering if anyone else has been successful, and how they did it.

I doubt service Centre can help. They have no power over software pricing.

What did they say when you called?

I paid for both AP+FSD, but did not receive any receipt, and my online account still doesn't show either feature.

(But they do function in the car now.)

It seems so random what they do.

I know some people who have EAP+FSD and never paid for it.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
I think the idea is that a car was ordered with those options, then someone canceled, or rejected that vehicle and it went back into the pool.
Then the next person who bought that exact config (but without EAP or FSD) gets the car and someone in delivery forgets to turn off the features.
At least that is the theory. Some people won the random free FSD lottery...

I think the idea is that a car was ordered with those options, then someone canceled, or rejected that vehicle and it went back into the pool.
Then the next person who bought that exact config (but without EAP or FSD) gets the car and someone in delivery forgets to turn off the features.
At least that is the theory. Some people won the random free FSD lottery...

Makes sense

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
The Tesla Team March 1, 2019
All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

[ TEG mod edit: Editing first post to add this chart that 'Troy' created to explain all the new options ] :

a9ddabb3-50c2-4e82-82cc-77f9e30e8eb9-jpeg.382774
I ordered and took delivery before 2019, all-wheel drive/long range. When I go to website my quote is $11,000 for FSD. Where am I going wrong?

I doubt service Centre can help. They have no power over software pricing.

What did they say when you called?

TL;DR - I got the usual Tesla run around, no managers are approving price adjustments even if you have a support case, need to complain louder or be patient and wait for another sale.

After a few weeks of phone calls and 2 visits to the service center (once for sales and once for service) here’s what I found out:

- for this pricing issue, call centers cannot take payment over the phone and cannot issue credits (if you order AP/FSD online and then get credited)
- only managers at the service centers have the power to adjust pricing; service managers for sure, and likely delivery managers and sales managers
- there are “hundreds” of people in this situation and zero have been approved for a price adjustment, even if these people’s My Tesla account didn’t allow them to purchase AP/FSD during the reduced prices in March

I spoke to 7 or 8 different people over the course of the last few weeks, not to mention multiple emails and support tickets which seemingly have gone nowhere so far. L One thing that I did notice was that I can now buy AP1 at the original full price from MyTesla. Halfway there I guess...

Just frustrating to be told that I will have the lower price honored and then have no updates for so long. Thank god she’s pretty (the Tesla).

• Informative
Reactions: davebytbay
2018 LR 3 2/18 delivery with EAP and bought the "SALE" price FSD on 3/1/19 for supposedly $2000 plus tax but the credit card charge was for $3000 plus tax in spite of My Account page saying $2000. After over a month of emails and phone calls I finally filed a dispute with the credit card and provided them with the screen shots of Teslarati article and Tesla Blog (since removed by Tesla), Elon's Twitter page with the $2000 price quote and a copy of email from Tesla's customer service stating that those who were overcharged will be eventually reimbursed. So now I am waiting for the decision by the credit card folks. If that doesn't work I plan on taking the Sales Manager of the local Tesla Store to Small Claims court.

2018 LR 3 2/18 delivery with EAP and bought the "SALE" price FSD on 3/1/19 for supposedly $2000 plus tax but the credit card charge was for $3000 plus tax in spite of My Account page saying $2000. After over a month of emails and phone calls I finally filed a dispute with the credit card and provided them with the screen shots of Teslarati article and Tesla Blog (since removed by Tesla), Elon's Twitter page with the $2000 price quote and a copy of email from Tesla's customer service stating that those who were overcharged will be eventually reimbursed. So now I am waiting for the decision by the credit card folks. If that doesn't work I plan on taking the Sales Manager of the local Tesla Store to Small Claims court.

Holy. Persistence. Big hassle for you.

Someone wrote back in March whether any of this will matter to anyone in 3 years? I will never get over paying $11k more for AWD LR than buying it now, and now you get EAP free and FSD for $5k more which equals the sale back in early March. It is not my style to forget that I bought early, paid more, than the late comers. Yes you could discount my $11k by the extra $3,500 in tax credit I got, but then there is the extra $3k that I would have to pay for EAP, so as to earn the privilege to pay another $5,500 for FSD. So I'll just keep the loss at $11k. That, as a consumer you don't forget. That mishandling of your most loyal of consumer base cannot be a good thing and will always be under the surface in forums such as this, in reviews present and future. Unfortunately it will forever stain, that's just the way it works. Hey, I don't make the rules, and don't see a need to cut anyone any slack. I contributed to this company's success with my purchase and now I am being told that $11k was a pure donation. I don't make such donations. I am not from that tax bracket. I'm still paying interest on my donation, my loan ends in 2024. That being said, I might have to sell something and buy another with FSD so I can try to make $$ as a taxi and recoup some of the loss.