Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was active in less than 48 hours. No receipt/email or notification. It was just working on my way home from work one day.

Welp, it’s all good now. I went to confirm I was connected to WiFi and saw that I had the autopilot/autosteer options. I guess that software update that came the same day I paid for AP not only came with Sentry and dog mode but also had AP. Just writes that h didn’t receive any release notes or email confirmation.

Time for a road trip!

I bought AP recently for $2000 but without auto lane changing it kind of sucks because you have to disengage AP to change lanes. I can see that AP has improved vs when I had the trial EAP about 3 months ago. There were a couple places where EAP would struggle that are now a non issue with AP. I am trying to convince myself to spend the $3000 bucks.

The way I saw it was, EAP (with the parking, lane changing etc) was originally 5 grand to us, FSD (while still just a promise) was an additional $2 or 3,000 (I forget exactly). So the current offer is EAP with a free upgrade to FSD - sounded worth 5k to me.

Yes because consumers should get their purchasing knowledge from investor earnings call and not proper communication channels

The call is a proper communication channel. Communicating information about the company and their products to those interested in some nuts and bolts stuff is the exact purpose of the call.

The fact they're going to be giving free HW3 upgrades is pretty significant info informs them, among other things-

1) The investment in HW3 will be paying off in the sense of a finished product soon.

2) Significant progress toward FSD will be enabled by said HW, potentially increasing sales long term

3) There will be some cost involved in doing said upgrade, but the fact it's included with FSD means there won't be a hit to sales for people "waiting" for HW3 to come with the car

Again, to anybody who actually knows WTF HW3 is, and cares to look, the fact you get the upgrade free is both crystal clear and readily available info.

To anybody who doesn't, there's no reason to even mention it to em. They buy FSD they'll get the stuff listed for FSD. The fact they'll need a board swap once it's ready, and it costs them nothing, doesn't really matter to them.

Well, the list of vague and contradictory statements keeps growing.

From level 1 customer service drones?

That's the case at literally every company on earth. Ask same question of 5 different reps, get 5 different answers, almost regardless of the company or the question.

This whole line of reasoning is like:

"CEO of Ford announcs they'd stop making sedans, confirms it when directly asked at least a half dozen different times, reiterates and confirms it again in quarterly report to investors"

And someone on a forum somewhere goes "Well, the guy at the ford dealership who washes the cars said they're still gonna make sedans, so HOW CAN WE REALLY KNOW???"

Last edited:
NEW new chart from Troy @TroyTeslike showing price changes Monday March 18’th

14761E15-F484-4B01-9073-17085E1744E2.png

Has there ever been a tweet or documents showing what system "not paying attention" would be under? I don't want FSD but I'm worried that when they finally release updates that allow you to not keep your hands on the wheel on the highway it will be part of FSD and I'll be pissed.

Has there ever been a tweet or documents showing what system "not paying attention" would be under? I don't want FSD but I'm worried that when they finally release updates that allow you to not keep your hands on the wheel on the highway it will be part of FSD and I'll be pissed.

It'd absolutely be part of FSD (pending regulation)

AP/EAP is nothing more than a driver-assist system (driver is still responsible for the driving)

"driver need not pay attention" is L3 or higher.

Doubly with with reswizzle of splitting features into just AP and FSD- anything new is going to be FSD going forward.

Love how at the checkout screen to add FSD it says "Tax is calculated from your Registration address and refunds are not available on your purchase."

Meaning no refunds on the tax I presume (since they will have already remitted that to the state). But their wording is as usual terrible, because if they're referring to refunding the tax, it would suggest refunds are available on the main FSD purchase (say if two years from now Tesla hasn't even delivered any new FSD software features, much less hardware). Though good luck with that.

If that quote is meaning to say no refunds on FSD itself, well, that still devolves into a sh!t show if they've delivered zero features.

I'm likely buying this. For which I expect to maybe get some added software features in 2020, and don't ever expect to get free HW3 installed.

Well, the list of vague and contradictory statements keeps growing. :confused: But it's good that you go into it with open eyes. Hope it works out for you and the other guys who were confident enough to pull the trigger. :)

I hope so too. :)

I wish I was as confident as some of the posters here and on other forums that we will definitely get the HW3. I've seen all of Elon's tweets, and read the transcript of the earnings call, etc...but I think there is still a chance that they will change their upgrade policy.

They have moved the goalposts regarding what FSD means and if they can reach those features with 2.5, there would be no need to upgrade the hardware. We can all debate it ad nauseum on the forums, but we won't know for sure until we know. :) It will be interesting to see what happens to all of the prices on Monday.

It'd absolutely be part of FSD (pending regulation)

AP/EAP is nothing more than a driver-assist system (driver is still responsible for the driving)

"driver need not pay attention" is L3 or higher.

Doubly with with reswizzle of splitting features into just AP and FSD- anything new is going to be FSD going forward.

We don't actually know that. Historically Tesla has redefined what FSD, EAP include and added AP, so it is not beyond reason they could introduce a new package at some point in the future.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
We don't actually know that. Historically Tesla has redefined what FSD, EAP include and added AP, so it is not beyond reason they could introduce a new package at some point in the future.

But that wasn't his question-he's asking if offerings below FSD will allow L3 or higher driving... not if they'll add a new package even higher than FSD.

We do know that. (and the answer is no)

EAP isn't getting anything new (other than advanced summon)- it's a dead end and not even sold anymore.

AP has even fewer features (autosteer and TACC only)

So if you want L3 or better the only offering that has ever suggested or stated it will include that currently is FSD.

But that wasn't his question-he's asking if offerings below FSD will allow L3 or higher driving... not if they'll add a new package even higher than FSD.

EAP isn't getting anything new (other than advanced summon)- it's a dead end and not even sold anymore.

So if you want L3 or better the only offering that has ever suggested or stated it will include that currently is FSD.

Sorry I should not have quoted your entire post as I was only commenting on the section I bolded -anything new is going to be FSD going forward. I also may jumped to a conclusion that you were referring to any future Autonomous driving features would be part of FSD outside of what's up on the Telsa page right now.

We have little way of knowing what if anything will be added to FSD down the road. I personally believe Tesla will not offer level 4 or 5 driving as part FSD. But hey also believe, Elon won't be running the company by the time L4 during comes to Tesla.

Do you work for Tesla? If you do then I will believe everything you say. Otherwise, are you merely basing your information off of what Elon says? Since Tesla changes their mind every day about everything does that not give you pause as to the accuracy of all your information?