Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, so people that didn’t support you in buying EAP early and didn’t participate in being guinea pigs to the beta software get to enjoy the whole EAP + FSD package for 5k at the expense of people that were early adopters and spent time beta testing and providing feedback that now have to pay another 2 or 3k (delending oh who is to be believed) to get it? That makes no sense. I can accept the price drops in the cars price but this is starting to taste very sour. Early adopters lost car value and have to pay more for the same features. FSD should just be free for early EAP adopters as a thank you for supporting the program early.
And some of us paid for both EAP & FSD for $8000 back in 2018 when we configured.

Glad you have more sun than I have...my 13KW system does even produce as much as yours (except in the Summer where I am pretty close to yours).
My system is only rated "Peak Power7.6 kWp" you can see the cut off limitation of the inverter. I have 31 (26 South + 5 East) panels x 300W.
Screen Shot .jpg

@Darthbenji Congrats to you that your “meh” decision turned out to be the better deal. Other people decided to buy based on what they thought EAP was worth to them and based on Tesla saying it is cheaper now than later. Just a few months go by and they say sorry we’re flipping that around.

No one is saying they’re contractually owed something or didn’t get what they paid for. They’re saying Tesla is not rewarding group A (early adopters) but are rewarding group B (waiters). They don’t owe you EAP+FSD for $5k total. Yet that’s what you get. Good for you. But that’s the opposite of rewarding early adopters, it’s making them regret it. Would be one thing to say well it turns out it wasn’t a better deal to wait. But it’s actually a much worse deal. That’s what stings. You’re not in that group so don’t feel that.
Exactly, this will come back to bite Tesla in the butt big time in my opinion because now people will wait and not rush in to buy, that’s why ?I didn’t jump on a Model Y, I’ll wait until they’re out awhile and Tesla has to start giving big incentives to move vehicles.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
I honestly have no idea what some of you people are complaining about.

If you bought EAP like me, you’ve been enjoying those features for some time now. Those features aren’t being taken away, nothing that was promised is being rescinded, and the features we have will continue to be updated (including Nav on AP without confirmations - presumably leading toward full L3 highway capability).

The fact that they’ve reduced our FSD upgrade cost is a pleasant surprise!

We now know a little more about what FSD will include beyond EAP... some kind of city driving ability and stop sign + traffic light support. TBD what that actually means for usefulness and autonomy levels (stop signs and lights are necessary but insufficient steps toward L3 or higher outside of highways). But it’s nice to have a little better idea of what’s coming.

If you didn’t buy EAP or FSD, now you can’t get EAP any more, but FSD is significantly cheaper and includes all EAP functionality. Great!

If you bought EAP + “preordered” FSD, nothing has changed for you, except the announcement that you will get an invite to the Early Access Program. Cool!

If you’re buying a new car you no longer have the EAP option (advantage goes to existing buyers who did have this option). Getting the EAP features is now more expensive because you have to buy basic AP and FSD, for $8k-$11k depending if you buy on delivery or not.

Personally, I’m excited that FSD is now only going to be a $2k upgrade for us early EAP adopters. I will likely not buy it until it actually gets me something, though.
And I paid $8000 for both and have gotten nothing as of this date

Reactions: MattUNI
It's a screen shot from the configurator, saying FSD $3,000 now, $5,000 if added after delivery.
The statement that caused me to buy it, and now proved wrong!

Here it is, Tesla told me that I would pay more money later if I didn’t purchase it at configuration

Attachments

• C8846B81-4411-4CF5-BA38-30604664FB73.jpeg
    C8846B81-4411-4CF5-BA38-30604664FB73.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 64
I am enjoying my car, but now I won’t ever make the same mistake again when it comes to buying a new Tesla, I’ll wait until prices come down,

It all comes back to the old Fool me once saying now
This is the way I see it, I also paid 7K for both and I could have paid 5K if I did not bought EAP up front 5K and FSD 2K. (look at my previous post here for the detail). But it is bleeding edge product and I was always expecting it will be cheaper, They run a sales event and it was cheaper for a short time only and back to normal again. it is internet era now, if you compare flight ticket price on the same day same plane same class, prices could be all over the places 2x or 3x...! Even Amazon prices drop and go up again.
I thought overall that the price I paid was fair and now I think it was dirty cheap for the performance of the car I got. I am happy that the price will be cheaper in the near future for the benefit of everybody and the planet in general.
Regarding all the other automakers the prices are also all over the places with discount, sales events, special rebate from dealer, your negotiation skills and where and when you buy it.

Reactions: radiocycle
This is the way I see it, I also paid 7K for both and I could have paid 5K if I did not bought EAP up front 5K and FSD 2K. (look at my previous post here for the detail). But it is bleeding edge product and I was always expecting it will be cheaper, They run a sales event and it was cheaper for a short time only and back to normal again. it is internet era now, if you compare flight ticket price on the same day same plane same class, prices could be all over the places 2x or 3x...! Even Amazon prices drop and go up again.
I thought overall that the price I paid was fair and now I think it was dirty cheap for the performance of the car I got. I am happy that the price will be cheaper in the near future for the benefit of everybody and the planet in general.
Regarding all the other automakers the prices are also all over the places with discount, sales events, special rebate from dealer, your negotiation skills and where and when you buy it.
Not bitching about my 7k price, but airline tickets etc are different. FSD is a pre order, not a ticket for a specified fight. Also they don't tell you to buy your airline tickets in advance or they will cost more later.

Not saying they can't legally change prices or reduce their preorder price, but that's shady business and it obviously pisses people off. I'm sure we will all remember all of these lessons when purchasing our next vehicles. I like Tesla, but will certainly consider other cars next time around ( 6-10 years maybe)

Last edited:
Also as you see in my previous post, if I buy the same car today It will be $250 more...I do not see the big deal of Tesla doing some promo sales. Look at the bigger picture here and not be envious of your neighbor who gets the same car cheaper. it happens every day with all other automakers and home buyers. Be happy for him and the planet.

My problem is paying the same as someone else, and getting substantially less for it..
Depending on when you bought your car and the tax break you got, you may not have paid more. Most pre March 2019 buyers paid a lot more for their cars than post march. Tesla gave them several weeks to buy AP+FSD for $5k or FSD for $2k if they had EAP. That was the deal. If you have EAP, you already have every feature. What Tesla did was not fair for a lot of people, but you had a chance to get FSD on sale. There is no more EAP. The current AP is very limited. New customers are spending $8k-$11k to get the same features you have now.

After reading all the TESLA haters and crying babies all over these forums, I wanted to check how much money I lost I was prepared for thousands $ and will have not complained about it as I am so happy with this car, my only regret will have been not buying it sooner.

screen-shot-2019-03-21-at-4-10-27-pm-jpg.23655

RESULT is surprising, I am still ahead with $250 more in my pocket! THANKS TESLA

For me FSD was $3K in my account as I bought EAP with the car at $5K. When I saw the promotion for FSD at $2K I was thinking not a bad deal so I bought it March 14-2019 even if no new feature for me now as everything was already in EAP. But I would like to get the stop and light features as well as maybe the HW3 and early access. Also if my small contribution could help TESLA overall to be successful in his mission for all Electric, that's a very good thing. My solar panels are producing more that my need for my home with AC running 365/365 and charging my M3. I am using AP on regular roads every day without major issues.View attachment 389395
That’s awesome! Hawaii must have insane sunlight.