Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced Range - Tesla Issued a Service Bulletin for possible fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where to find the exact date?

There is a label on the inside of the door, but that only gives month/year.

Then there is the window sticker, but that too only gives month/year.

From the searching I've done so far that's the best I'll find without contacting Tesla directly.

Does anyone know where to find the exact date?

There is a label on the inside of the door, but that only gives month/year.

Then there is the window sticker, but that too only gives month/year.

From the searching I've done so far that's the best I'll find without contacting Tesla directly.
I called Tesla Support to ask them the "birthdate" of my tesla, that how I found out the exact date

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Thread title is appropriate, "possible fix". I took my car in for service January to address the battery breathers and look into this service bulletin as my range at 100% had gone down a lot, I think to 286 miles. They ran diagnostics and said my battery is fine and concerns about a particular trip were related to cold weather & wind.

Ironically, my efficiency has been a lot better in the recent bug fix updates. So I'm pleased they looked into it and suggest you have them do that when looking at other stuff maybe. But I wouldn't get your pitch fork out, the estimated range displayed does not always represent the battery health.

:mad:

P3D, 09/2018 build:

P3DBuildDate.jpg

P3DBatteryReport.png

P3DBatteryReportStats.png

SMT-P3DBattStats.png

P3DFleetComparison.png

P3DFleetComparisonStats.png

Summary: 100% charge is 277 miles (-11.6% from new). Nominal full pack capacity is 68 kWh according to the BMS (well off the correct new full pack capacity of ~ 74 kWh). My car is worse than nearly all cars in the fleet, including 4 that specifically have my charge pattern.

For comparison, here is my wife's RWD 3 Long Range, VIN 0040XX, April 2018 build:

3LRBatteryReport.png

3LRBatteryReportStats.png

SMT-3LRBattStats.png

3LRFleetComparison.png

3LRFleetComparisonStats.png

Hers is -1.1% from new, and right in the middle of the fleet stats.

Service appointment already scheduled.

• Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz and mt09
:mad:

P3D, 09/2018 build:

P3DBuildDate.jpg

P3DBatteryReport.png

P3DBatteryReportStats.png

SMT-P3DBattStats.png

P3DFleetComparison.png

P3DFleetComparisonStats.png

Summary: 100% charge is 277 miles (-11.6% from new). Nominal full pack capacity is 68 kWh according to the BMS (well off the correct new full pack capacity of ~ 74 kWh). My car is worse than nearly all cars in the fleet, including 4 that specifically have my charge pattern.

For comparison, here is my wife's RWD 3 Long Range, VIN 0040XX, April 2018 build:

3LRBatteryReport.png

3LRBatteryReportStats.png

SMT-3LRBattStats.png

3LRFleetComparison.png

3LRFleetComparisonStats.png

Hers is -1.1% from new, and right in the middle of the fleet stats.

Service appointment already scheduled.

where did you get all these stats??

this makes me want to buy Chinese EV NIO much more. They have free supercharging and free battery change. So basically everytime you empty the battery you can get a new one within 15 mins
LOL, you have to move to China to drive it. Wuhan, perhaps?

Not to mention the efficiency is quite low, 2.6miles/kWh, adjusted to EPA rating, and there are only 125 swap stations in the whole country. You may have to drive a few hours to get to a swap station. Makes a ton of sense. And, NIO supercharging is just 50kW DCFC, not supercharging as Tesla owners know it. Besides, they have a tiny network of NIO-owned charging stations.

• Funny
Reactions: needp3d-
LOL, you have to move to China to drive it. Wuhan, perhaps?

Not to mention the efficiency is quite low, 2.6miles/kWh, adjusted to EPA rating, and there are only 125 swap stations in the whole country. You may have to drive a few hours to get to a swap station. Makes a ton of sense. And, NIO supercharging is just 50kW DCFC, not supercharging as Tesla owners know it. Besides, they have a tiny network of NIO-owned charging stations.
ability to change the battery is just anxiety free.

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
@SomeJoe7777 Your reduced range is very similar to mine.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-25-at-11-14-15-AM.png

Every time I made an appointment on the Tesla app, the appointment gets cancelled.

The latest appointment I got a text from the service center telling me everything is normal and I should keep the car charged to 90% nightly, that's all.

What did you say when you create your appointment?

where did you get all these stats??

The screenshots of battery range over time and fleet comparisons are from TeslaFi.com, I've tracked both cars there since they were new. The battery stats screenshot from the phone is from the Scan My Tesla app, which decodes the CAN bus data using an adapter cable and a Bluetooth OBD connector.

@SomeJoe7777 Your reduced range is very similar to mine.

Every time I made an appointment on the Tesla app, the appointment gets cancelled.

The latest appointment I got a text from the service center telling me everything is normal and I should keep the car charged to 90% nightly, that's all.

What did you say when you create your appointment?

This time I cited the service bulletin with the following verbiage:

"Evaluation and possible replacement of HV battery due to missing cell interconnects per service bulletin SB-19-16-009. Current vehicle 100% charge range is 277 miles. Vehicle was manufacturered 9/2018 per B pillar door placard."

We'll see what they say, but I think citing the service bulletin in your description is key.

Other info: I ordered the P3D 9/26/2018, expecting a 4-8 week wait. However, they "found" an inventory car that was available in my desired configuration, and it was delivered 10/8/2018. Considering logistics of transport from Freemont to Texas as an inventory car, I'd say the build date puts it smack in the middle of the service bulletin range of 8/24/2018 - 9/10/2018.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
I've got a stealth performance 9/18 build that's gone from 90% charge of 278 miles to 260 starting a few months ago. Max charge previously was 308-310. I figured it was a software update revising range downward and not any real physical battery change. I haven't tried a max charge since it dropped, but the service bulletin has me wondering...

I've got a stealth performance 9/18 build that's gone from 90% charge of 278 miles to 260 starting a few months ago. Max charge previously was 308-310. I figured it was a software update revising range downward and not any real physical battery change. I haven't tried a max charge since it dropped, but the service bulletin has me wondering...

One thing to keep in mind was the 100% range estimate was never accurate for the P3D with 20inch tires or even 19inch tires. In a fairly recent (within the last 6 months or so) Tesla changed the 100% range for the 20inch tire version from 310 miles to 299 miles.

The range drop you're seeing is a bit more. But, not entirely surprising.

Really depends on what tires you told it you're running.

But, it is worrisome that those of us who have complained about the range seem to have 8/18 or 9/18 builds.

• Love
Reactions: Char
One thing to keep in mind was the 100% range estimate was never accurate for the P3D with 20inch tires or even 19inch tires. In a fairly recent (within the last 6 months or so) Tesla changed the 100% range for the 20inch tire version from 310 miles to 299 miles.

But, it is worrisome that those of us who have complained about the range seem to have 8/18 or 9/18 builds.
Yes, this is worrisome indeed as my build falls in that range..

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110

Yes, it is a little worrisome. Around the same time as the range drop, I switched from the aero 18's to non-aero 18's with Sottozero 3 snow tires. My car noticed the wheel change and popped up a dropdown to change the wheel size. I cancelled because the new wheels are 18's as well. I did train the TPMS for a lower pressure. Wh/mile hasn't really changed much with the Sottozero's, but depends on outside temp. I figured I'd wait until April or so for temps to warm up and to swap back to the aero's with MXM tires before assessing the range change. It's really hard to tell if it's just the range estimate that's changed or battery capacity has actually declined substantially.

Here is a service bulletin issued by Tesla on the NHTSA.gov website for 2018 Model 3 Performance, it says between Aug 24-Sept 10 2018, the Battery may have a issue that results in range loss. Mine was manufactured on Sept 8 2018. See the attached service bulletin. Again not sure if it actually means Battery Replacement, but a interest thing I came across.
The word Performance is not in the document you provided. It does say: "On some Model 3 vehicles with the Long Range HV battery, a few cell interconnects within the HV battery are missing. This condition might result in a reduction of vehicle driving range."

Which would mean any long range regardless if it is performance, dual motor or rear motor. All three had this battery at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.