Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced Regen Symbology?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model Y Standard Range

I've suspected poor regen from purchase but I'm just told it's normal. I don't think this is normal.

Recently the reduced regen advisory verbage I receive changed. More importantly, we started noticing the Regen bar appeared with dots sometimes. Where those dots are pictured, no Regen is available.

Service had never seen the indication on the Regen bar. They pretty much blew me off saying the advisories were on downhills which can be normal. That may be true for the notice, but the Regen bar indication can happen during any phase of driving, and is typically most present around 60% SOC.

Has anyone seen this?

I also own a M3P and MYLR, and have owned several others since my Signature Model S.
IMG_20220629_102507.jpg

PXL_20220619_184753049.jpg

The verbiage in that alert is new but it means the same thing it always has: regen is reduced.

It is normal for regen dots to appear after long downhills, even when the battery is fully warmed up. The battery is protecting itself by self-limiting the amount of charge it can take from regen. The dots will gradually disappear as the terrain flattens out.

Everything is operating as it should. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgell
The standard range has a smaller battery pack than your M3P or MYLR, so the same amount of heavy regen on down hill driving puts more stress on the MYSR's battery than it does on the other cars, that is why you get the limited regen in the MYSR but not in the other cars. Of all the Tesla's you have owned, the MYSR has the smallest battery pack. Your Model S signature had the 85 kWh pack, your M3P and MYLR have at least 75 kWh, possibly 82 kWh, but your MYSR only has around 50 kWh from what I remember.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: Benito1283
Thanks guy. I'll keep an eye on this. I realize this battery is smaller. But I also pointed out this is happening when the battery is below 75% SOC.

And it has happened when I was on a relatively flat 15 minute drive to the service center, with the exception of one on ramp and one off ramp. Ironically, after leaving the car for 5 minutes, the service tech road tested with me and we didn't see the issue. He had never heard of the Regen dots but glad to hear that is normal.

Have noticed regen is much weaker (especially at speeds below 20 mph) in recent months and regen bar never gets close to far left as it used to (in fact, I don't think it's reached the "D" point, even after 100 miles in 70 degree temps. Took to service and was told this was normal- they wouldn't even acknowledge it was a result of a software update.

What’s the point of even having the line/dashes extend to the left of “D” if they never get filled during braking, regardless of temperature/miles driven/slope?