Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing noise and keeping the door sills clean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on a quest to make car quieter. Have done the Dynamat and how have the seals that you suggested coming in this week.

Any chance to can tell us where u put each kind? It’s hard to tell which goes where.

Check out this image. There's another issue that needs resolving to reduce noise. Where the two doors come together at the very top, the insulation does not seal well so you've only got one seal in that area. I'm thinking of finding a solution for that area.

2019-01-27_16-57-23.png

Thanks, it looks good. I can't tell if it can calculate on average over a period of time. Do you know if it has that capability. I plan to measure an average dB over a section of highway. I figure this will be the most accurate way to measure changes in different mods I make to the car.

Don’t underestimate how difficult this is to measure. You don’t know what peaks are highest and they might not be the ones that are most annoying (or the ones you actually hear). Averages can remove what’s most obnoxious.

Best thing I do is record it ( carefully ) then you can A/B the two recordings. You can also speak the location and speed.

I totally agree with this. My objective is to reduce the higher frequencies. Those are what bother me the most in the Model 3. I'm considering tinting my windows not to reduce heat or glare but an attempt to thicken the glass and reduce the higher frequency noises.

Don’t underestimate how difficult this is to measure. You don’t know what peaks are highest and they might not be the ones that are most annoying (or the ones you actually hear). Averages can remove what’s most obnoxious.

Best thing I do is record it ( carefully ) then you can A/B the two recordings. You can also speak the location and speed.

Another member PM'd me some great questions. Here are my answers:

Big thanks for figuring out a possible solution with the news seals.
Bought them on amazon delivered today.

Couple of questions before I start.

1) Am I just doing the outer door edges and door bottoms? That's what it looks like from the photos

Yes, just the outer edges, check out the latest post, I drew where to install.

2) Did you try cutting cutting them to size and fitting them on every door before sticking them on to test before committing to peel of the stickers and stick them on?

I peeled and did about 6in at a time. I lined up the edge with the edge of the door for the front door. For the rear door I had to push it in as much as possible so that the rubber does not show when the door is closed. The tape is pretty forgiving if you want to pull and re-stick it. Just do it within 10 minutes.

3) Are these removable once they are stuck on? I would think so with something. Did you stick them on yet. Have any idea how to remove them if this doesn't work well?

I had tried a different D style which was difficult to remove. It comes off, just a lot of rubbing. This stuff I havent tried removing, but it looks to be the same as the other stuff.

4) Any other install advice? I'll follow your pics as best I can. This looks rather simple

Yeah, It's simple. Theres a rubber cap when doing the vertical front section of the rear door. I cut a small slit into the Z TYPE rubber, tiny slit just so the existing Tesla rubber cap seal could sit over it. I think one of my pics shows it.

5) Do you like it? If so why and how much?

It does reduce noise and has the added benefit of reducing the dirt and grime in the door sills. Makes it for an easier car wash.

• Helpful
Reactions: Magnets!
I totally agree with this. My objective is to reduce the higher frequencies. Those are what bother me the most in the Model 3. I'm considering tinting my windows not to reduce heat or glare but an attempt to thicken the glass and reduce the higher frequency noises.

That’s why I bought the Tesla Front and Rear SunScreens. I think they help absorb high frequencies and reduce reflections towards your head. The front screen helped a lot. Rear one I’m not sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: Magnets!
Check out this image. There's another issue that needs resolving to reduce noise. Where the two doors come together at the very top, the insulation does not seal well so you've only got one seal in that area. I'm thinking of finding a solution for that area.

View attachment 372431
Thanks! This is perfect. I’ll try it and see if this makes any difference. I have used Noico in the frunk tub, frunk hood, front doors, trunk lid, trunk deck, and trunk bottom. Car is a little better but still way too loud.

• Love
Reactions: M3 2018
Oh I see what you mean. I think you’d be okay because those seals are compressed and not much can get in there. But I’ll try it just to see what it does when it goes through a car wash.
Do you think there’s a possibility the seals will, over time, warp the doors? I’ve installed leather floor mats to help dampen noise...would be nice to reduce noise from doors but I don’t want to damage car long term.

@bradhs could you post a couple of profile pics with the doors closed? Curious how much this affects aesthetics.

Regarding damping, do some research as there are literally dozens of manufacturers of damping panels. CLD tiles have consistently been rated #1 for vibration damping followed by KnuKonceptz. Both are a bit more pricey but only require ~25% coverage unlike other brands. Also, be sure to get butyl damping material as it stands up to heat and is nearly odorless.

(not affiliated with these products in any way)

CLD tiles
DIYMA Deadener testing (long but extremely detailed comparisons)

Interesting articles. I'm willing to try anything but need instructions on how to properly tear apart the car to install this kind of stuff. Also, I'm not sure how much of the noise is from a) vibration, b) seals, c) windows/glass. I assume we can only control a & b. And possibly c by tinting the glass and using other thick materials like breakage protection tints.

Regarding pics of the car with the door closed, good idea, I'll take some tomorrow. Basically there is no differnce, unless you look down the seams where the door meets the frame, you will see the insulation. Beyond that the door closes exactly how it would close without them. (Assuming you installed it correctly.)

@bradhs could you post a couple of profile pics with the doors closed? Curious how much this affects aesthetics.

Regarding damping, do some research as there are literally dozens of manufacturers of damping panels. CLD tiles have consistently been rated #1 for vibration damping followed by KnuKonceptz. Both are a bit more pricey but only require ~25% coverage unlike other brands. Also, be sure to get butyl damping material as it stands up to heat and is nearly odorless.

(not affiliated with these products in any way)

CLD tiles
DIYMA Deadener testing (long but extremely detailed comparisons)

Reactions: R1Fast
Which floor mats did you get? Do they make a difference in the noise?

I was considering getting Luxe mats.

I think any mat helps. I bought the tuxmat 3 piece trunk/Frunk set and Maxpider for cabin. Between the 5 mats, stuffed blanks in Frunk, rpm gasket, sun screens, I’m pretty happy now. X-Ice tires are a tad quieter too so need to re-evaluate in the spring with all seasons back on.

I’ll keep watching this thread with interest though. Personally I’d consider doing all but the bottom one to avoid any possibility of trapping water and freezing. Not that there is any proof of a problem. Just having water travel a longer gentler path can be a problem in cold climates.

Reviews on the materials are not the best either.