Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing noise and keeping the door sills clean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have the same problem, coming from the A pillar area? At first I thought it might be turbulence from the side view mirror, but now I'm thinking higher up near the top of the A pillar side glass? Is that where you're hearing it?

did you ever figure this out? I'm going down the rabbit hole for my passenger side window and i keep uncovering small things i think cause this wind noise but it doesn't fix the issue. i have a mobile SC appt coming up and will literally just ask them what else can be done. they've tried to fix the black triangles by the mirror (both sides stick out just a little bit but the driver side has almost zero wind noise so dont think its that), adjusted the trim against the b-pillar (tech actually tucked it way under where it was supposed to go which made it worst), and now I believe it to be something weird with the windows since the sound comes from where the window meets the a-pillar as you said. happens above 75mph

did you ever figure this out? I'm going down the rabbit hole for my passenger side window and i keep uncovering small things i think cause this wind noise but it doesn't fix the issue. i have a mobile SC appt coming up and will literally just ask them what else can be done. they've tried to fix the black triangles by the mirror (both sides stick out just a little bit but the driver side has almost zero wind noise so dont think its that), adjusted the trim against the b-pillar (tech actually tucked it way under where it was supposed to go which made it worst), and now I believe it to be something weird with the windows since the sound comes from where the window meets the a-pillar as you said. happens above 75mph
Same with me... gone down multiple rabbit holes to no avail. I also was convince it was the small triangles but couldn't relay fix them.. mobile tech did a number of things around the a pillar with the rubber trim.... we are all at a loss. The only thing I think is that there just seems to be a need to a thicker trim piece all around the window, its been replaced but the default factory size is just at the minimum level to seal and sometimes it just does not. I looked at my wife's Merc and the seals are about 3 times as think and more plush and soft (that thing is like a bank vault door when you close it). I'm not really trying to compare the 2, but the tesla seems to be "just" enough to not leak.

I have not tried anything new, but one of these days I may have my wife put painters tape across the overhang from the trim to the window before I head out for a drive - I wonder if it's just turbulence from the step off of the A-pillar/roof to the front side window. I can't imagine where else it may be coming from. Wondering if putting tape across would smooth out the line a bit and decrease turbulence. Obviously this won't be a solution to the problem, but may help pinpoint the cause. And then someone more creative than me (not hard) can come up with a real viable solution.

I have not tried anything new, but one of these days I may have my wife put painters tape across the overhang from the trim to the window before I head out for a drive - I wonder if it's just turbulence from the step off of the A-pillar/roof to the front side window. I can't imagine where else it may be coming from. Wondering if putting tape across would smooth out the line a bit and decrease turbulence. Obviously this won't be a solution to the problem, but may help pinpoint the cause. And then someone more creative than me (not hard) can come up with a real viable solution.

That's the general troubleshooting process... Put on some painter's tape over any joined surface. Drive. Put on more tape. Drive. Repeat until you find the source of the wind noise. With the location identified, you can then look for a remedy.

• Informative
Reactions: Roentgen and dfwatt
That's the general troubleshooting process... Put on some painter's tape over any joined surface. Drive. Put on more tape. Drive. Repeat until you find the source of the wind noise. With the location identified, you can then look for a remedy.

In the meantime, you're also adding more paint protection to your car... until...

IMG_2209.jpg

guy came out today and went for a drive with me. he def heard it on the passenger side and then took a look at the seals. Apparently the seal between window and door right where the black triangle hits had an indentation (probably from the trim being loose for the past year). he said that's prob it and it does make sense since the indent would basically make it seem like the window isn't full sealed. he ordered a new trim and black plastic triangle piece just in-case and will be back to install it at some point. he said it isn't a super common issue he's seen but there was def something going on with my car.

guy came out today and went for a drive with me. he def heard it on the passenger side and then took a look at the seals. Apparently the seal between window and door right where the black triangle hits had an indentation (probably from the trim being loose for the past year). he said that's prob it and it does make sense since the indent would basically make it seem like the window isn't full sealed. he ordered a new trim and black plastic triangle piece just in-case and will be back to install it at some point. he said it isn't a super common issue he's seen but there was def something going on with my car.
Just curious if this stopped the excessive wind noise.?

Thank you everyone for your info in this thread! Is anyone here concerned that the weatherstripping will trap water (on either the "inside" or "outside" edges of the seal) and cause issues like rust? This makes me hesitant. From the diagrams I've seen, the frame is steel and hence can rust with trapped water, no?

Pics of aluminum/steel parts: https://ww.electrek.co/2017/08/22/tesla-model-3-body-alloy-mix/#
No, not concerned, at all. Just make sure the door bottom seals are mounted above the drain hole. Dont worry, the flap still seals. Most instruction videos don't show this correctly. This and mudflaps are the best things I've done to my 3. (I live on a dirt road in VT)

I did the z-seals on my front doors like seen in the these two photos from the Op. I did not run a p-seal along the bottom or any additional seals nor the back doors.

I did this the evening before I took the car into the service center to address a chronic and consistent rattling in the dash and like going to the doctor the rattling couldn't be reproduced. As a matter of fact its now gone completely for the last week. The only change was the z-seals. Additionally I find the cabin to be noticeably quieter than before, but still hear wind at highway speeds though it sounds different much lower tone as many have said before. The cabin is much more comfortable at highway speeds w/o music and now the music sounds louder and clearer especially bass which now has presence at highway speeds.. before I used to wonder if Tesla forgot to install the sub LOL

Overall for $8 & 20 minutes it was well worth it putting the z seals on the front doors. I might do the p-seal for the door bottoms, haven't decided yet, mainly because it looks unsightly.

Attachments

• 155A88E0-6612-47B1-86E2-34713F70FB0E.jpeg
    155A88E0-6612-47B1-86E2-34713F70FB0E.jpeg
    594.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 62073383-4F52-45E0-943C-8D7678DDDC52.jpeg
    62073383-4F52-45E0-943C-8D7678DDDC52.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 157
I did the full door seals, including the bottom of the doors. Here's how I installed mine (before and after pic). I made sure not to cover the drain hole. I installed this over 5 months ago and haven't had any issues with water draining and/or rust.

--Cintoman
SAM_7778.JPG
SAM_7779.JPG

I did the full door seals, including the bottom of the doors. Here's how I installed mine (before and after pic). I made sure not to cover the drain hole. I installed this over 5 months ago and haven't had any issues with water draining and/or rust.

--Cintoman
View attachment 504515 View attachment 504516
I know this is from a long time ago. How have they held up and which brand did you get? Thank you. Picking up my blue model 3 this Saturday!

Reactions: navguy12
I know this is from a long time ago. How have they held up and which brand did you get? Thank you. Picking up my blue model 3 this Saturday!

I have an identical looking set of seals I bought from Amazon - don't remember the brand but I think they're all basically from the same factory.

They've been on for about two years now and I've had no issues with the adhesion or materials but I don't think they made much of a noticeable difference in noise but do keep the area between the door a bit cleaner. If I was buying a new Model 3 I probably wouldn't install these again.

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
I have an identical looking set of seals I bought from Amazon - don't remember the brand but I think they're all basically from the same factory.

They've been on for about two years now and I've had no issues with the adhesion or materials but I don't think they made much of a noticeable difference in noise but do keep the area between the door a bit cleaner. If I was buying a new Model 3 I probably wouldn't install these again.
Thanks for your reply. Lots of salt up here in New York will install them after I get everything really clean