Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Dual Motor Model 3 is fairly quite on a smooth road. My Dodge Durango is much quieter on all roads except for the engine noise. Here's a few easy steps that have made my Model 3 quieter and the effort is not costly or difficult.
First, using an 80mil thick self-adhesive noise and vibration dampening material, which you can buy at Amazon for far less than buying Dynamat, carefully cover the underside of the rear package shelf. Be careful to NOT cover the cut-out in the center. That opening is for airflow from the air conditioning system.

Remove the inside plastic rear trunk lid cover. It pops-off using standard auto panel removing techniques. Do it carefully so you don't break the fasteners or the plastic cover. Once removed, line as much of the inside sheet metal with the insulation material. It takes a bit of time and patience to stick the material through all the small openings. You are covering the inside surface of the trunk lid sheet metal. Once finished, carefully reinstall the plastic cover. Do Not put pressure that will transfer the force to the trunk hinges or sheet metal. You don't want to bend anything. Don't cover wires or disconnect anything by accident. There are no sensors inside the trunk lid. The backup camera is above the license plate so be careful.

Now go the Frunk (front trunk). Carefully line just the area of the Frunk Lid with the insulation material. Do Not apply it where the weatherstriping meets the Frunk Lid. You can warp the metal if you do.

Last, remove the entire Frunk "tub". It's easier than you think. Remove the carpet. There are two bolts there. There is one bolt under each grocery bag hook. Unclip the cover over the locking mechanism and you'll find two bolts. Don't remove the thick weatherstriping. Remove the small plastic grill just ahead of the windshielf wipers. It's just help down by some plastic pegs and clips. Remove the bolt next to the filler for the windshield washer filler. Unclip the little duct that brings air to the car interior. Then, carefully lift the ends of each side panel and the entire one-piece molded tub lifts out. Wow, wait until you see all the cool stuff underneath! If you want to install a 12V power outlet, this is the time to do it. The 12V battery is right in front of you. A fused outlet is important!
If you apply the adhesive backed insulation to all the sides of the tub (the sides that are hidden when it's installed in the car) and the underside of the Frunk Carpet, you will have dampened most of the front end tire noise. I don't suggest applying the insulation to the bottom of the tub outside surface. I don't like to place a foil surface tight against the high voltage controller. Use the tittle wooden roller to carefully work all the material tight to the surfaces. You don't want anything peeling-off after you put everything back together.

The entire project will take most of a day and cost you less than $100 in material. The results I found to be worth the effort.
Enjoy!

The area around the "tub" is very open to all the front end working parts. It's funny, the first thing I noticed was that I didn't hear any noise inside the car from the electric power steering unit. Honestly, the overall difference is not what I'd call huge. I enjoy tinkering and it was a fun project for me. I must confide, the Dodge Durango is way, way quieter all the time compared to the Model 3. I did give my Durango a pretty big sound insulation treatment so it's not a very fair comparison in that regard. Regardless, hope you enjoyed reading about my projects. Thanks for writing back to me. Jay

I appreciate the detail as I would love to make my 3 even quieter. It's pretty quiet already but if there is low-hanging fruit I will pick it. That said, I did a similar sound deadening process on another car and the before/after measurements were almost the same, at best a 3dB improvement. Such a small amount is hard to even really measure with variables like wind speed and road defects. I would not have done it if I had realized the delta would be so small. So I urge one of you other guys to try this project, do a before and after measurement, and let us all know just how effective it is.

BTW the largest contributor to noise in my car is the wind. With the frameless windows I don't know that there is much that can be done. My seals all seem fine, it's just the car is so quiet in general that any wind noise becomes noticeable.

Reactions: Zoomit
Super interesting topic (to me). Once engine, exhaust and transmission noise are eliminated, all of the remaining sources of noise are highlighted: tire/road, wind, squeaks and rattles. IMO, Tesla should do more work on these remaining noise issues to further amaze potential customers. Can the cost of making a model 3 quieter than a Bentley be that much? IF it is expensive to fix, how about making it an option? Perhaps a combination of extra well-placed sound insulation and active noise reduction would do the job. It just needs a cool name similar to Bioweapon Defense Mode. How about Noise Defense Mode?

Super interesting topic (to me). Once engine, exhaust and transmission noise are eliminated, all of the remaining sources of noise are highlighted: tire/road, wind, squeaks and rattles. IMO, Tesla should do more work on these remaining noise issues to further amaze potential customers. Can the cost of making a model 3 quieter than a Bentley be that much? IF it is expensive to fix, how about making it an option? Perhaps a combination of extra well-placed sound insulation and active noise reduction would do the job. It just needs a cool name similar to Bioweapon Defense Mode. How about Noise Defense Mode?

I don’t think it’s highlighted due to lack of engine/exhaust. It’s just plain loud.

I’ve added the Sunscreen and Tuxmat mats (Trunk/FRUNK) and left carpets in. I think it helps.

I won’t be happy until my wife can hear me on a hands free call. Which she no longer can. Unless I slow down to 40 mph or on very smooth fresh asphalt. She can hear me fine in our very quiet Jeep Summit.

I’ve also blocked the rear window deck which I think helped a lot. But I have since unblocked it due to weaker muffled bass. And the worry that it might interfere with cabin air flow.

My Maxpider cabin mats should arrive Thursday.

I’ll keep tweaking until I’m happy.

X-ice Xi3’s are quieter than stock 18” acoustic tires.

Reactions: Mobsidian
My Dual Motor Model 3 is fairly quite on a smooth road. My Dodge Durango is much quieter on all roads except for the engine noise. Here's a few easy steps that have made my Model 3 quieter and the effort is not costly or difficult.
First, using an 80mil thick self-adhesive noise and vibration dampening material, which you can buy at Amazon for far less than buying Dynamat, carefully cover the underside of the rear package shelf. Be careful to NOT cover the cut-out in the center. That opening is for airflow from the air conditioning system.

Remove the inside plastic rear trunk lid cover. It pops-off using standard auto panel removing techniques. Do it carefully so you don't break the fasteners or the plastic cover. Once removed, line as much of the inside sheet metal with the insulation material. It takes a bit of time and patience to stick the material through all the small openings. You are covering the inside surface of the trunk lid sheet metal. Once finished, carefully reinstall the plastic cover. Do Not put pressure that will transfer the force to the trunk hinges or sheet metal. You don't want to bend anything. Don't cover wires or disconnect anything by accident. There are no sensors inside the trunk lid. The backup camera is above the license plate so be careful.

Now go the Frunk (front trunk). Carefully line just the area of the Frunk Lid with the insulation material. Do Not apply it where the weatherstriping meets the Frunk Lid. You can warp the metal if you do.

Last, remove the entire Frunk "tub". It's easier than you think. Remove the carpet. There are two bolts there. There is one bolt under each grocery bag hook. Unclip the cover over the locking mechanism and you'll find two bolts. Don't remove the thick weatherstriping. Remove the small plastic grill just ahead of the windshielf wipers. It's just help down by some plastic pegs and clips. Remove the bolt next to the filler for the windshield washer filler. Unclip the little duct that brings air to the car interior. Then, carefully lift the ends of each side panel and the entire one-piece molded tub lifts out. Wow, wait until you see all the cool stuff underneath! If you want to install a 12V power outlet, this is the time to do it. The 12V battery is right in front of you. A fused outlet is important!
If you apply the adhesive backed insulation to all the sides of the tub (the sides that are hidden when it's installed in the car) and the underside of the Frunk Carpet, you will have dampened most of the front end tire noise. I don't suggest applying the insulation to the bottom of the tub outside surface. I don't like to place a foil surface tight against the high voltage controller. Use the tittle wooden roller to carefully work all the material tight to the surfaces. You don't want anything peeling-off after you put everything back together.

The entire project will take most of a day and cost you less than $100 in material. The results I found to be worth the effort.
Enjoy!

Do you have a link to the 80mil material from Amazon?

The attached picture is from Tesla Service Bulletin TN-14-45-002 this outlines Tesla's process for determining where wind noise is coming from on a Model S. What is important to point out is Tesla told Model S owners for a long time that wind noise they heard in the cabin was normal. It took lots of people complaining before they finally started taking the problem seriously. If you think your Model 3 is noisy you need to contact your service center even if you think they won't do anything about it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 11.23.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 11.23.24 AM.png
    486.9 KB · Views: 540
Has anyone else tried this on a Dual Motor 3? I'd like to hear more stories and instructions like Jay just to be sure that this is worth doing. I'd really like to get rid of some of the noise in the front. (Likely from the 20" tires.)

Enjoy!

I just ordered the 80mil Noico and will work on this during the XMas break as the road noise is driving me crazy.

Did you notice any reduction in bass by lining the the underside of the rear package shelf? The sub woofer is in the right side of the trunk. I have experimented with covering the hole in the rear package shelf with a pillow and the road noise is lowered but I did notice some lessening of bass by doing this.