Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing Vampire Drain -From apps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit, I've signed up for a couple of apps (teslab, Tesla Control Center (windows) and I think I also signed up for something through abetterrouteplanner with my p85, mostly to play around with but I've found that the Tesla app handles all my real needs (and then some). My wife takes the MS to the airport once or twice a month for business and uses about 110 miles of range each way. This week, while parked in the garage it lost 16 miles of range while parked for 2 days! Its usually a little close for her to get home after a trip but loosing this many miles made me think maybe the apps I have are keeping the car awake? If I change the password in "myTesla" will that stop the apps from polling my MS?

When I first got my Tesla in December I signed up for several apps. My vampire drain was on the order of 10-15 miles a day. Last month I changed the password and let my tokens expire. I'm now only using Teslafi and the Tesla app and my drain has gone down to 1-2 miles per day. Teslafi is nice because it lets you set how much you want the car to sleep.
So yes, change the password and you'll likely see things improve.

I have to admit, I've signed up for a couple of apps (teslab, Tesla Control Center (windows) and I think I also signed up for something through abetterrouteplanner with my p85, mostly to play around with but I've found that the Tesla app handles all my real needs (and then some). My wife takes the MS to the airport once or twice a month for business and uses about 110 miles of range each way. This week, while parked in the garage it lost 16 miles of range while parked for 2 days! Its usually a little close for her to get home after a trip but loosing this many miles made me think maybe the apps I have are keeping the car awake? If I change the password in "myTesla" will that stop the apps from polling my MS?
Yes, suggest you do it right away.

Yes, and additionally I do not let the official Tesla app do background app refresh. I've never signed up for any of those services, but turning off the background app refresh and turning off always connected made a big difference for me.

I signed up for Tesla Fi after I got my X and got 7-8 miles drain overnight. Did not feel the benefits were justified that much range, so I changed my passwords and closed Tesla Fi account - now I'm back to 1 mile per 2 days drain.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Yes, and additionally I do not let the official Tesla app do background app refresh. I've never signed up for any of those services, but turning off the background app refresh and turning off always connected made a big difference for me.
thanks, not totally sure how to turn off background on my andriod but I think I did it using the "data" settings and turned off "background". We shall see. I think she can make it home...luckily there is a tail wind of 7-8mph tonight, and a Tesla destination charger about 10 miles from home on her way back. If not I'll be huffing the generator to her and we can hang out on the side of the hwy for a couple hours. ;)

I believe "background app refresh" would only impact your phone not your car BUT it's required if you want your calendar to sync with your car's calendar. If you don't care about that feature then it's fine to turn that off and save some iPhone battery.

I believe "background app refresh" would only impact your phone not your car BUT it's required if you want your calendar to sync with your car's calendar. If you don't care about that feature then it's fine to turn that off and save some iPhone battery.

When I have background app refresh on it always seems to have the latest car data right when I open the app. My guess is that it periodically connects to the car in the background reducing the time the car can sleep. I could be wrong.

Background refresh is pulling data from the car, which wakes the car and eats power. I definitely saw an increase in vampire drain when they gave us the new app version.

By turning always connected off and terminating the app after every use, I had only 10 miles lost after an entire week parked at the airport, despite checking a couple times a day.